Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Officemate or.....?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Officemate or.....?

What program does your office use. I want to get a new program when I go to Visionwest and I am looking for suggestions.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I'm really fond of Compulink. We have been using it now for a year and a half, no problems.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The 2 most popular are Crystal PM and Revolutions EHR. Cloud based Revolutions offers huge advantages if you have 2.locations

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    What ever you don't get Officemate though, its a nightmare

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Agreed!
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Lab View Post
    I'm really fond of Compulink. We have been using it now for a year and a half, no problems.
    Really? We've had Compulink for a year now and I wouldn't really recommend it. Although it's nice to be able to customize it, ours has been fairly unstable. I find that the spectacle point of sale system often has pricing errors that need to be manually fixed on the ledger and it can't be relied upon to calculate sales tax properly in accordance with our state's laws.

Another issue is that our practice has multiple offices and compulink isn't very well suited to cost center accounting. For instance none of the revenue information from the built in reports can be relied upon. It may be better suited to a single location practice though.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Funny - I'd take OfficeMate ANY day over the likes of Compulink or MaximEyes.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You will have to look at both to really know. Ask lots of questions and figure out what will work best for you. We use officemate with pretty good success no program is perfect though.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The 2 most popular are Crystal PM and Revolutions EHR. Cloud based Revolutions offers huge advantages if you have 2.locations
    crystalPM not sure if they'll be at VEW. You may want to call them and ask for a 1 to 1 free demo of their product. DISCLAIMER: Happy customer since Jan 2009
    Last edited by David_Garza; 08-21-2013 at 03:48 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We're using RevolutionEHR; just passed our 1 year anniversary. Our office used Maximeyes prior to it. Before I came on here, they had tried a demo of crystal pm and didn't like it but I'm not sure why. We tried to implement ODPro early 2012, but had to back out after 1 1/2 months. There's problems with just about every program though. The one thing we really like about Revolution is that they are constantly trying to make the program better, and it has US based tech support if you need to get on the phone with them. The problem with any cloud based system however is that there servers can lag or crash. It doesn't happen very often, but it is frustrating when it does. :Side Note: We qualified for stage 1 meaningful use using revolution, they have a facebook page and reports that helped us.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Opticianus Prime View Post
    Really? We've had Compulink for a year now and I wouldn't really recommend it. Although it's nice to be able to customize it, ours has been fairly unstable. I find that the spectacle point of sale system often has pricing errors that need to be manually fixed on the ledger and it can't be relied upon to calculate sales tax properly in accordance with our state's laws.

Another issue is that our practice has multiple offices and compulink isn't very well suited to cost center accounting. For instance none of the revenue information from the built in reports can be relied upon. It may be better suited to a single location practice though.
    I think every office is different, for example, we don't add sales tax so the system works great for us. You have to find out the top 5 things you want your software to do for you and go from there.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Lab View Post
    I think every office is different, for example, we don't add sales tax so the system works great for us. You have to find out the top 5 things you want your software to do for you and go from there.
    Agreed. The programs are built around different job descriptions. Some are built really well for accounting and administration, some are targeted to make EMR exams more efficient on the Drs. side, some favor optical, inventory, reporting, etc. Out of curiosity, what program are you using now?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Funny - I'd take OfficeMate ANY day over the likes of Compulink or MaximEyes.
    This. Besides, what I've heard of their upcoming release next year of a entirely cloud based product and tighter integration into VSP Managed care, if you're heavy into VSP, it will make sense to go that route.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by racethe1320 View Post
    This. Besides, what I've heard of their upcoming release next year of a entirely cloud based product and tighter integration into VSP Managed care, if you're heavy into VSP, it will make sense to go that route.
    As it pertains to VSP - we don't use their "integration". By choice. It's clunky to say nothing of expensive. It's easier for us, and has been in multiple offices I've worked with over the years, to input claims directly on the Eyefinity site (which is also old and clunky - but that's VSP!) ;)

Occupation
    My vision express.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we've been using compulink for over 12 years. i feel like we need to hire someone just to keep it updated or to customize it every time there's an update with the software, new product, or new insurances. we don't have such an individual. i give it a 5.5 out of 10.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mscoco View Post
    we've been using compulink for over 12 years. i feel like we need to hire someone just to keep it updated or to customize it every time there's an update with the software, new product, or new insurances. we don't have such an individual. i give it a 5.5 out of 10.
    Exactly, It's like you need to have a programer on staff just to keep it running smoothly. I wouldn't consider Compulink unless you or someone on your staff has some scripting and SQL skills.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We already have myvisionexpress and we think it's awful. Myvisionexpress is the program we NEED to get away from

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Officemate currently is glitchy. Have lots of issues with random things. Type in a patient's last name correctly, to link as guarantor, and system can't find him. Type in just the first 3 letters, found readily. Print recall, and 4 people won't have their letters print. It can find them for selection, their demographic and appointments are correct.. sometimes they will print if only patient selected, and others we have to print their letter as a different type...

I appreciated the cleanliness of the exam section in MVE (at least the last version I used, which was 8.) Didn't have the "rabbit hole" feel that OM can when you end up opening box after box, after box...

I don't like how "locked down" OM can be. If you have someone with a secondary, once you have received payment on the primary, you can't edit the fee slip to assign charges in whole to the secondary. You can only adjust them to another insurance, which may or may not show all the pertinent info then when viewing in the ledger. On the whole, it is rather difficult to correct someone's error in OM on the financial end. This would be fantastic for offices that are adept with the product, and for those owners who want tighter control. However when someone new is posting insurance payments as a recent example.. it can be a nightmare.

I think my husband after hearing me gritch one night, nailed what I view Officemate as. It has several great pieces to it, and has fabulous potential. However it seems like it was handled and coded in pieces, and there lacks a consistency across the board with it. Single click here, double click there, right click then left, must hit F2 or button... and its hard to get a rhythm going. It might also explain some of the bugginess I have experienced. Granted I am only in month 5 working with it, and only 3 with it live in the office.

Some new products coming out is the Eyefinity EHR, and Uprise from Vision Web.

What I would recommend is the same as King of the Lab suggested. Write down the top 5 things you need from your system, and why you feel the current is failing. Then compare when you are VEW try the few you have researched that supposedly fills this need, and then ask who in your area uses it. The program will always work beautifully when handling a dozen or two test clients.. find it in real use and see what it is really like.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I worked in an office that had Compulink, we all hated it. I also worked with OfficeMate!!!Absolutely loved OfficeMate! Take your time looking into what your needs are. It's important also to consider how this will work for your staff.

I wish you the best!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Compulink....IT SUCKS!
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Bad address email on file Mr.Goggle's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    My Vision Express sucks as well. Laggy and not user friendly. The only people who like it are the people who only use it to count the beans.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are new to uprise also, what exactly are you having problems with?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1
    +1
    +1
    +1
    +1
    +1
    +1
    +1
    +1
    +1

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    I think my husband after hearing me gritch one night, nailed what I view Officemate as. It has several great pieces to it, and has fabulous potential. However it seems like it was handled and coded in pieces, and there lacks a consistency across the board with it. Single click here, double click there, right click then left, must hit F2 or button... and its hard to get a rhythm going. It might also explain some of the bugginess I have experienced. Granted I am only in month 5 working with it, and only 3 with it live in the office.
    THIS. Parts of OfficeMate work just beautifully, and it has certainly improved tremendously over the past five years. But it's needlessly rigid regarding editing, there is no consistent internal logic, and it's simply awful as inventory software.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Thread Information