Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Officemate or.....?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dilbert works for all of them...

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post

I think my husband after hearing me gritch one night, nailed what I view Officemate as. It has several great pieces to it, and has fabulous potential. However it seems like it was handled and coded in pieces, and there lacks a consistency across the board with it. Single click here, double click there, right click then left, must hit F2 or button... and its hard to get a rhythm going. It might also explain some of the bugginess I have experienced. Granted I am only in month 5 working with it, and only 3 with it live in the office.
    EMR Logic (formerly OD Pro) has felt the same way to us.

It's supposed to integrate well from doctor to doctor but man, will it drive you to drink using it for inventory. Garbage in Garbage out comes to mind.

We've had it for several years and get extremely frustrated at the duplicity. Enter Eyefinity then again with Logic to create the bill. Same with Eye Med. It's supposed to one day transfer all the info smoothly but until then...

When we got it I swear we were a small office alpha tester for them.

The worst part though is how none of these will ever work perfectly as then there would be no need to sell us the upgrade!

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Kareo. Check it out. Might not be a fit for you but I think its the best EHR/cloud/billing system out there. I am not sure if offers any sort of optical inventory capabilities though, never asked. The cool part is that it doesn't cost anything and they perform your billing for you where they take out a percent as the service fee. I don't have to tell you how $$$ this saves the practice in software fees and hourly wages for billing. The bad part is that if you are employed to do billing you may be out of a job.

Anyways, it is consistently one of the highest rated EHR's out there.

I actually applied for a rep position (how easy would it be to sell doctors a free product that saves tons of $$$!?) but they are focused on only a couple states so far and AZ isn't one of them.

On another point I currently use Compulink and I do not feel that it is very good. Its pretty bad for multi-doc-location, and the optical is pain in the butt.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We are just beginning the switch to Revolution EHR. Thus far, it looks very good.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My OD went through a live trial of Crystal this morning and he was impressed.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Having used OfficeMate, My Vision Express, Compulink and Crystal; I'd have to say that Crystal is the best blend of features and stability with average support. OME was really good for having a lot of features and seeing how intense an optical EHR can be, but it was utter crap for stability. MVE was more stable but lacked the majority of features I had come to expect and needed. Compulink just sucked all around, slow and lacking in features.

The best I have worked with is Crystal, and even it is not the "perfect" optical EHR.
    Check us out on Facebook or our site Advanced Eyecare of Arizona.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ill throw in my 2 cents for what its worth (probably less then 2 cents) I've worked with office mate now for over a year. The first time I sat down in front of it I broke down and cried. The two patients I was working with did their very best to tell me that I was doing a "wonderful" job. After finding me in the fetal position in a corner an hour before my shift ended, the boss recommended I use the tutorial. I set up some test patients and learned how to use it with a little more grace. It's a love / hate relationship. You can map all of your products to be compatible with VSP pricing. It makes the Third party billing option for VSP SO EASY - IF - (and that's a big if) you map everything correctly. It will take time and patients to learn how to use it correctly. Office mate can be your friend if you don't mind learning how it works. Don't bother trying to use it for inventory. That is a monster you do not want to unleash.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Check out Eye-DNA software, easiest to learn and use. Eye-DNA for best results, watch the demo in highest resolution.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We use Crystal. Has been very reliable for over three years. After over 20 years with a different company, we switched to it because we needed EMR. They did a great job converting our database, and for very little cost. It is very stable, and we have over 20 users. Our opticians use the order and prescriptions section heavily. As with any system, it really helps if you know some hardware and software setup to save time.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    We are in the process of launching a new EMR mid next year. It is cloud based. The goal is to keep it as a Freemium product with revenue mainly coming from advertising. Any usage that ends up taxing the server will require be charged. So a certain number of users will be free but if you are a very big practice with a lot of users or a lot of storage needs then there will be a premium for those additional resources.

I am trying to keep an early preview available for early adapters so we can gather good feedback early on. Please feel free to signup and play with it. the test url is qa.cloud9ehr.com.

Hope you like it. Thanks.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    It's a love / hate relationship. You can map all of your products to be compatible with VSP pricing. It makes the Third party billing option for VSP SO EASY - IF - (and that's a big if) you map everything correctly.
    Such a big if. I have done my best to map all the VSP options in both OfficeMate and Revolution, and in both cases we ended up filing for everything on Eyefinity after all.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have been very happy with Crystal Practice Management. You all should look into it. Its VERY customizable (sp?) and its less expensive then the big boys you mention here. We have been using it since 2011 and wouldn't change a thing.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We are considering Myvision express...what don't you like about it?

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does anyone know of a simple one that's either free or low-cost? We want it to maintain our patient database. We're a small enough shop that computerizing our frame inventory isn't important to us.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Andrew, I maintain my account database with Microsoft Outlook with Business Contact Manager. It's fully customizable and very inexpensive.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We've been using "Wink" software which is based in Canada, it's a free software and they're constantly updating and making their system faster and better. We've almost completely integrated our office to the system, been using it for almost 4 months, we can directly call their customer service if we have any problems, almost no wait time. They have some subscription based stuff for instant messaging to directly to patients and integration to send your orders directly to your lab of choice. Excellent inventory/patient management software and best of all fast and free for managing your office and printing out receipts or bar codes for each item in your inventory.

Can also integrate several locations together if you run several retail/offices.

Would rate a 9.5 out of 10.

Has just about everything to run an office/retail store
    Last edited by vv0vv; 03-05-2015 at 01:02 PM.

Thread Information