[bc]FIRST-HAND EXPERIENCE WEARING NEXT GENERATION TRANSITIONS&reg IS CHANGING THE WAY EYECARE PROFESSIONALS RECOMMEND CLEAR LENSES [/bc]
LAS VEGAS, Sept. 23, 2002 – Eyecare professionals who previously believed that Transitions&reg Lenses were only for a niche market are now thinking differently after wearing Next Generation Transitions Lenses for themselves, according to a recent survey of eyecare professionals throughout North America . Of those who had worn Next Generation Transitions Lenses, 88 percent said they would now wear Transitions Lenses as their everyday lenses.

“With performance that speaks for itself, we know the importance of eyecare professionals wearing Next Generation Transitions,” said Dave Cole, general manager of the Americas for Transitions Optical, Inc. “We know that we’ve given more than 40,000 North American eyecare professionals the opportunity to try the lenses for themselves. We’ve heard countless stories about how this first-hand experience is convincing ECPs to offer Transitions as a higher-performing clear lens.”

Performance Makes the Difference
Next Generation Transitions, 1.50, introduced in January, is virtually indistinguishable indoors from regular, clear lenses, with 98 percent of eyecare professionals surveyed agreeing that Transitions Lenses are the clearest photochromic lenses ever developed. The breakthrough lens also has the outdoor darkness of sunglasses and a record-breaking speed of performance.

Here are just a few examples of how wearing Next Generation Transitions and experiencing the performance for themselves has changed the way eyecare professionals approach dispensing clear lenses and opened the door for offering patients a higher-performing option:

“Until Next Generation Transitions, I really only offered photochromics to patients who asked about them,” said Bob Franz, A.B.O.M., owner of Dallas Optical in Dallas. “I just didn’t feel like the technology was there – the lenses weren’t clear enough indoors and didn’t get dark enough outdoors, especially in the Texas heat. Since I started wearing Next Generation Transitions, I’ve been amazed – I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t educate all my patients on this incredible new option for their everyday lenses.”

Larry Farmer, an optometrist and Norway, Maine, practice owner said he didn’t wear photochromics prior to Next Generation Transitions, but now is a firm supporter. “My enthusiasm for my glasses really shows through to patients, who often ask me what I’m wearing. Since my lenses are so clear, they are shocked when I mention that they get dark in the sun. I’m thrilled that Next Generation Transitions offer patients a choice for their regular, clear lenses.”

“I’ve been in the business for 15 years and – until April – I refused to recommend plastic photochromic lenses to my patients,” said Ginger Gundy, optician for Dr. Neil Perko, Euclid, Ohio, who now recommends Transitions Lenses to almost all her patients. “Once I tried the new lenses for myself, I was sold. Now, everyone in our office – including the doctor – wears them, and we all drag skeptical patients outside to show them the amazing performance.”

Boosting the Industry
David Rips, president of Younger Optics, said he is not surprised by eyecare professionals’ change of heart regarding photochromics, because he had one, too.

“Next Generation Transitions has been a real boost to the optical industry,” said Rips. “Dispensers feel confident in recommending the lenses because they know that their customers will see and feel the performance. Now customers can have a ‘WOW’ effect.”
Rips said the indoor clarity and outdoor darkening of the lens makes it an excellent choice for anyone as their primary pair of glasses, making the target market for Next Generation Transitions Lenses very broad.

“Now, with Next Generation Transitions, I find that I wear them as a primary pair, and look forward to wearing them,” said Rips.

“Even the toughest critics are impressed by Next Generation Transitions, and are re-thinking the target market for these photochromic lenses,” said Cole. “Conversion of the clear lens wearer to Transitions Lenses provides the opportunity to bring a higher-value product to patients, leading to increased profitability and patient satisfaction.”