Thread: UK Chief Police Officers call for drivers’ sight checks

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Arrow UK Chief Police Officers call for drivers’ sight checks

More from eyecare trust.
    Senior police support compulsory sight testing for drivers and raising of vision standards

The Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) has thrown its weight behind the Eyecare Trust's work in raising awareness of the importance of good vision for safe driving.

David Kenworthy, Chief Constable of North Yorkshire Police and Business Head of ACPO Road Policing, said: “Poor vision among drivers is a serious issue. The research carried out by the Eyecare Trust and others has produced some alarming results and suggests that sub-standard eyesight is likely to be a significant factor in causing road accidents and even fatalities.

“At present the law requires drivers to be able to read a number plate at 20.5 metres (67 feet) in daylight. If you see that test actually set up I’m convinced that most people would find it hard to believe that anyone would have difficulty meeting the standard, and yet almost one in ten drivers struggle to comply with it. ACPO believes that there is a strong case for making the vision standards required for driving more stringent, as well as introducing regular, compulsory sight checks for all drivers.”

Police do not currently have powers to carry out random sight testing. The drivers questioned in the Eyecare Trust survey were stopped for tyre and vehicle checks and then asked whether they would take a voluntary sight test. The sight testing was made possible by support from Specsavers Opticians who are also running an extensive national ‘Drive Safe’ awareness campaign.

“ACPO supports the Eyecare Trust in its efforts to lobby Government for the introduction of drivers’ sight tests,” Mr Kenworthy added. “The scope of the test also needs to be extended to check for a wider range of sight defects that could affect a driver’s judgement. In most cases a driver’s sight can be corrected easily. It is every driver’s responsibility to ensure they can see clearly before they start the engine. Until that happens there will continue to be avoidable tragedies on the road.”

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    This has to be a good idea as the present test is a joke.
    Interestingly at monoptic there is a post from an optician asking what they should do as they have seen a person who has poor eyesite and still drives.
    The arguement seem to be that at present there is no legal responsibalty to inform the relevent departments of this. But i feel there is a moral one.
    Is there any wonder that the optical proffesion is taken as a bit of a joke, when they just passthe buck all the time..
    I just hope that this person does not kill people while driving...

How do other contries treat sight and driving?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    John,
    New Zealand recently passed legislation reequiring all drivers to have an eyetest. I'm not sure of the details but I know that it didn't do the ophthalmic optics industry any harm.

Regards
    David

Thread Information