Thread: Need some advice ASAP!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Need some advice ASAP!

resolved.
    Last edited by xis; 11-05-2014 at 05:16 PM.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds like you are marketable. If your personal finances are in order, I would operate offensively. If you are paycheck to paycheck, not sure of your marketability, and have an insecure vibe, I would operate defensively.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks for the advice.

Someone had previously quit a few months back and the company didn't really care that she was leaving nor did they give a counter offer. I don't have to live paycheck to paycheck but choose to so that I can get all my loans/debt paid off as soon as possible. I am also currently in school to get licensed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I view your current employer, (unwilling to pay you more, currently) as desperately trying to salvage you as an employee.

Hmmmmmm, only going to pay you more if you are leaving? No immediate salary increase offer? Only if you are leaving?
    Eyes wide open

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    I view your current employer, (unwilling to pay you more, currently) as desperately trying to salvage you as an employee.

Hmmmmmm, only going to pay you more if you are leaving? No immediate salary increase offer? Only if you are leaving?

You make some good points.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks....just trying to help you see the light!

The best of luck, and whatever you decide.....it will all work out well in the end!
    Eyes wide open

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks....just trying to help you see the light!

The best of luck, and whatever you decide.....it will all work out well in the end!
    Thanks.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What has helped me in situations like this is to sit down with paper and pen make two list. One for pros the other for cons.
    That somehow helps you see the picture better. Sounds like you are with a big box store. Keep in mind they are in it just for the dollar and nothing else so don't get "attached" to the job. Use them to improve yourself just as they will use you to improve their bottom line. Thats just how business works.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "I am happy with my job". That's what you said. You know what you have and you know they want to keep you. Tell them you want to stay because you are happy where you are and ask them if they would give you a raise. If they say yes, and give you a raise, I'd stay because ... "I am happy with my job". Two things: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. and ... The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. You may leave and find out that you hate it there ... then what? ... Being happy in a job is definitely worth a lot ... a very lot! Need I say more?
    Last edited by SailorEd; 08-09-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Also consider how secure this transfer is vs the new company. The start up store may or may not be successful, where will it leave you if the store fails?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead Daddy View Post
    Sounds like you are marketable. If your personal finances are in order, I would operate offensively. If you are paycheck to paycheck, not sure of your marketability, and have an insecure vibe, I would operate defensively.
    Awesome advice.

Given that you are still going to school I would hold off on adding anymore stress to your life. I personally won't hire students, mind being elsewhere is not a good employee. Finish your schooling then look elsewhere. For your current employer you would be best served by being honest with them, let them know that you are in school and working towards a goal, more money is nice but weight that against the additional stress. You may want to mention that a transfer would mean more stress as well, in this case I would personally turn down the additional pay and transfer until school is complete but let them know you would like to meet again when that situation arises.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They told you what they'd do if you sought another position; how 'bout asking them what they'd do if you didn't.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    Awesome advice.

Given that you are still going to school I would hold off on adding anymore stress to your life. I personally won't hire students, mind being elsewhere is not a good employee. Finish your schooling then look elsewhere. For your current employer you would be best served by being honest with them, let them know that you are in school and working towards a goal, more money is nice but weight that against the additional stress. You may want to mention that a transfer would mean more stress as well, in this case I would personally turn down the additional pay and transfer until school is complete but let them know you would like to meet again when that situation arises.

I can't afford not working. I live on my own with no support from family. As of right now, school is secondary. I need to work full time more than I need to be a full time student because I'm paying for school out of my own pocket.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    What has helped me in situations like this is to sit down with paper and pen make two list. One for pros the other for cons.
    That somehow helps you see the picture better. Sounds like you are with a big box store. Keep in mind they are in it just for the dollar and nothing else so don't get "attached" to the job. Use them to improve yourself just as they will use you to improve their bottom line. Thats just how business works.
    That has helped me with making my decision. The new job opportunity however is more about numbers and making goals and my current employer is more about customer satisfaction. I think I would be better off staying where I am at. Even with a pay raise if I have to worry about making sales goals I wouldn't be happy.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good priorities!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead Daddy View Post
    Good priorities!
    +1

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    =)

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation

Sounds like LC. I asked for a raise because I was going well above my pay grade and they laughed at me. I looked elsewhere and received an offer that matched my pay at LC. LC quickly offered me a $6 per hour raise and this time I laughed at them. It's not all about the money. I require a little respect too.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by theGross1 View Post
    Sounds like LC. I asked for a raise because I was going well above my pay grade and they laughed at me. I looked elsewhere and received an offer that matched my pay at LC. LC quickly offered me a $6 per hour raise and this time I laughed at them. It's not all about the money. I require a little respect too.
    Agreed. Although I've never worked for LC before, I hear a lot of horror stories from people who have worked there.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    xis, If you live in a strong license state (please no discussions about whose state is strongest), you will have more offers than you can keep up with once you get your license. The offers will come to you by phone, by snail mail, by e-mail...

pseudonym

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    xis, If you live in a strong license state (please no discussions about whose state is strongest), you will have more offers than you can keep up with once you get your license. The offers will come to you by phone, by snail mail, by e-mail...

pseudonym
    I do live in a strong license state and licensed opticians here are sought for desperately. I am currently in school to become licensed. Thanks for the information.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post

pseudonym
    This is absolutely true.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Thread Information