Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BluTech Lenses

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

BluTech Lenses

What's the difference between BluTech lenses and just tinting your lenses yellow?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Blue-blocking colors not only yellow......................

Description:
    BluTech Lenses filter high-energy blue and ultra-violet light using ocular lens pigment derived from the auto-oxidation of 3- Hydroxykynurenine (3-OHKyn). The ocular lens pigment is then combined with melanin and isolated in a durable material. When used in an optical lens, this infusion of pigment provides the same protection, contrast enhancement, and color perception to the eye as the natural yellow-brown coloration of the human crystalline lens.

Looks like this is another fancy and exotic description for in simple terms, a blue-blocker color which I introduced in 1984 for dentists protective glasses when curing the new UV light hardened fillings that replaced the old, mercury based amalgam material.

This type tint of lenses has been re-invented quite a few times over the years by others under many different named, as Melanin and many others.

Blue Light and Macular Degeneration: http://www.mdsupport.org/library/blulight.html

There is also a good descriptiom on my website at: --------------> http://www.optochemicals.com/product...ueblockerF.htm

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    So, if you introduced the blu-blocker color, does that mean you get kickbacks for those glasses sold on TV late at night ?

Occupation

Redhot Jumper No kickbacks ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post

So, if you introduced the blu-blocker color, does that mean you get kickbacks for those glasses sold on TV late at night ?

Actuall there was another TV campaign for Blue-Blocker glasses at $ 98.00 in the early 80s and they sold like hot cakes. The lenses were made and tinted in a lab in California. They tinted them in a 3 step operation.

When I got the order to make similar glasses for dentists for UV protection we developed a one step tinting process with one dye only, and of course I started to sell them in the optical trade as well.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    i attended the seminar, and though its been some time i believe they claim to filter a higher range of the blue/violet spectrum. instead of being a dye on the outside of the lens they claim its inside the lens the technology sits. they also claim to have a cataract lens with this technology. at the very least its an interesting concept.

Occupation

Blue Jumper spectrometer will detect what range of color is absorbed ............................

Any spectrometer will detect what range of color is absorbed, if the tint has been added to the surface or to the lens material. This is just marketing. If there is zero transmission you can not do any better.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Any spectrometer will detect what range of color is absorbed, if the tint has been added to the surface or to the lens material. This is just marketing. If there is zero transmission you can not do any better.
    exactly. all that matter is what goes in and what comes out ... what difference does the "origin" or "technology" of the tint make, whether a surface treatment or in the mass of the lens?

whether the tint is made from the extract of the acai berry and fermented in goat's colustrum or it matches the tint of the aged human crystalline lens - who cares? marketing mumbo jumbo.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    yup, you can never trust a single company's claim of perfection, but i did enjoy the medical side of the seminar at the least, it really helped me understand some concepts.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux3r View Post
    i attended the seminar, and though its been some time i believe they claim to filter a higher range of the blue/violet spectrum. instead of being a dye on the outside of the lens they claim its inside the lens the technology sits. they also claim to have a cataract lens with this technology. at the very least its an interesting concept.
    The concern seems to be primarily after cataract surgery, where there is significantly increased levels of retinal illumination, especially blue light, including blue light from ophthalmic diagnostic equipment on a dilated eye.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1857207/

"The benefits of blocking the transmission of blue light to the macula and the relationship between progression of age-related macular degeneration remain unclear."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20499436
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Pure Blue blocking lenses have an orange tint made with a special dye to get this effect. This color is not the best estehetically and many people do not like the appearnce. We have tints with which the original blue blocking color can be tinted over to get a final apperance of amber / brown / and dark green, without loosing the effect of the original color.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The link was bad on the article Blue Light and Macular Degeneration Find it now at: http://lowvision.preventblindness.or...r-degeneration

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    From my understanding HEV blue light damages the retina by creating free radicals and the damage accumulates over time. Not a quick process, takes years to lead to high risk of macular degeneration, for example. The crystalline lens naturally develops a brownish tint as it ages and hardens which gives adults some HEV blue light proctiection. The exposure risk then is relegated to children and teens with clear crystalline lenses and IMO they should all have blue light filtering eyewear. So I am not convinced that post cat patients are really at a high risk of HEV Blue light. I know the IOL allows HEV blue transmission but most of these patients are seniors and the time it takes to accumulate retinal damage doesn't pose a risk in their age group anymore. And if nothing else those patients can take AREDS 2 supplements to combat free radical development.

Also Chris, you are a sort of authority in the tinting/treatments of lenses. Are you well versed in thin film coatings? I would imagine that developing a precise thin film coating that is in the thickness range of HEV blue light wavelengths that it should effectively attenuate/reflect HEV blue light. All the while keeping the lens clear with no colored tints and allowing all other colors to transmit. Do you think that is possible?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Neophyte Optician View Post
    What's the difference between BluTech lenses and just tinting your lenses yellow?
    I asked the same thing. I used the same rx, similar A and B sizes and tried it out. I ordered from Pech.

adjusted computer RX -6.00 -.50 ou

One pair I got a shooting tint #1 on. ARC, 1.60

The other BluTech. ARC, SV. Whatever material it only comes in. My RX is too high for the digital SV BluTech.

I 100% love my BluTech pair more. They are more comfortable on the computer and reading. The BluTech coating is built into the lens. It tones everything down to a comfortable lighting. Almost like a nice restaurant lighting. I can work on the computer for hours without strain or anything unlike the yellow tinted ones. I recommend the BluTech to everyone.

My boss got Shamir Workspace BluTech and loves them. She also has a Hoya Recharge ARC on a different pair and likes the BluTech a bit more. We have a SV pair on order w/out ARC to see if there is a difference. The ARC should technically be redundant.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Lucky View Post

I 100% love my BluTech pair more. They are more comfortable on the computer and reading. The BluTech coating is built into the lens. It tones everything down to a comfortable lighting. Almost like a nice restaurant lighting. I can work on the computer for hours without strain or anything unlike the yellow tinted ones. I recommend the BluTech to everyone.

My boss got Shamir Workspace BluTech and loves them. She also has a Hoya Recharge ARC on a different pair and likes the BluTech a bit more. We have a SV pair on order w/out ARC to see if there is a difference. The ARC should technically be redundant.
    My understanding is that BluTech and Hoya are using two different types of technologies. BluTech is using a proprietary tint that is within the lens material itself. It has a very slight amber tint to it and its technology is described on their website. I highly doubt you can get the same effect by in-office tinting while keeping the lenses as close to being clear as the BluTechs. Hoya is using a special AR coating over a clear lens. This coating is designed to reflect blue light and will give off a slight blue hue to it when exposed to blue light.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yeah, and (breathless) blue light is linked to sleep disorders!

But (breathless) blue light is the most effective in light therapy for depression, so we don't want to block it!

(Breathless) I really, really, really, really looooooooovvvve my Blue Blockers!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Yeah, and (breathless) blue light is linked to sleep disorders!

But (breathless) blue light is the most effective in light therapy for depression, so we don't want to block it!

(Breathless) I really, really, really, really looooooooovvvve my Blue Blockers!
    Uh-Oh Dr K's been at the sauce again! Hehehe

Occupation

Only a Spectrometer will give you the real results ................................

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Tabor View Post

My understanding is that BluTech and Hoya are using two different types of technologies. BluTech is using a proprietary tint that is within the lens material itself. It has a very slight amber tint to it and its technology is described on their website.

Myabe they reflect only part and have the light amber color to absorb the balance. Only a Spectrometer will give you the real results.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Tabor View Post
    My understanding is that BluTech and Hoya are using two different types of technologies. BluTech is using a proprietary tint that is within the lens material itself. It has a very slight amber tint to it and its technology is described on their website. I highly doubt you can get the same effect by in-office tinting while keeping the lenses as close to being clear as the BluTechs. Hoya is using a special AR coating over a clear lens. This coating is designed to reflect blue light and will give off a slight blue hue to it when exposed to blue light.
    I mentioned that BluTech is built into the lens in my post. I only brought up the Hoya Recharge as a comparison to "why not just get a computer specific ARC". I also said the BluTech was more effective than the tinted. Not sure what you're wanting from me

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Looks like this is another fancy and exotic description for in simple terms, a blue-blocker color which I introduced in 1984 for dentists protective glasses when curing the new UV light hardened fillings that replaced the old, mercury based amalgam material.

This type tint of lenses has been re-invented quite a few times over the years by others under many different named, as Melanin and many others.

Blue Light and Macular Degeneration: http://www.mdsupport.org/library/blulight.html

There is also a good descriptiom on my website at: --------------> http://www.optochemicals.com/product...ueblockerF.htm

Chris, what's the difference between your dye and BPI's U.V.550 that I used in 1980's to make blue blockers before " blue-blockers" began ?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Lucky View Post
    I mentioned that BluTech is built into the lens in my post. I only brought up the Hoya Recharge as a comparison to "why not just get a computer specific ARC". I also said the BluTech was more effective than the tinted. Not sure what you're wanting from me
    Welcome to optiboard Dr. Lucky. I was not looking for anything else from you and I hope my post did not offend you as this was not my goal. Just attempting to advance the discussion. Your post said "The Blutech coating is built into the lens". A coating is applied to the surface. "Coating" and "built into the lens" are mutually exclusive and an important distinction when comparing the technology behind the two products.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Stan, actually I have no idea..................................

Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post

Chris, what's the difference between your dye and BPI's U.V.550 that I used in 1980's to make blue blockers before " blue-blockers" began ?
    Stan, actually I have no idea. I had my Blue-Blocker long before BPI had it.

Originally they were made in some lab in California dipped into different color dyes one after the other, took a long time to do.

Healthco the then largest dental products distributor was looking for inexpensive glasses for protection of dentists eyes when instatantly curing the newest fillings with a UV blue light.

That was when I came up with a one dip mix of dyes in 1982, that would do the job, and Healthco went for it. We converted some steel cleaning buckets with heating elements at the bottom and hang a hundred plano CR39 lenses on clips on some wooden rods and dipped them into the hot dye for15 minutes and they were propely tinted.

We would tint about 500 pairs a day when needed and the slowest spot was to edge them on our then 10 year old Weco edger which was one of the first diamond wheel edgers made in the early 1970s. We made thousands of pairs in about a 2 years period just for the dental industry.

My old dentist still wore the these glasses five years ago before he retired.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Remember, if Chris didn't invent it first, and somehow better than anyone else...

...it doesn't exist.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Could be true, you might not want to discount that posibility.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post

Remember, if Chris didn't invent it first, and somehow better than anyone else...

...it doesn't exist

So funny............................

I never said I invented it, I said that I came up with a faster way of doing it by coming up with a one way dip instead of multiple steps.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So funny............................

I never said I invented it, I said that I came up with a faster way of doing it by coming up with a one way dip instead of multiple steps.

You know, I may not have gotten it first from BPI but from my local lab. Later , maybe I bought it from BPI. It was a long time ago.

Thread Information