Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crizal Prevencia

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If anyone starts a thread on human circadian rhythms and light exposure, you're the man!
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    If anyone starts a thread on human circadian rhythms and light exposure, you're the man!
    I have actually made a pair of lenses to do just that. A very interesting experience, and yes, it worked.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    I have actually made a pair of lenses to do just that. A very interesting experience, and yes, it worked.
    My clients tell me they've had success with light therapy and SAD. How do eyeglasses fit in?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My clients tell me they've had success with light therapy and SAD. How do eyeglasses fit in?
    Not to hi-jack here, but had a fairly intelligent customer with sleep problems. Customer is a big time internet researcher, and brought me all this info on high contrast light filtering, not at the office for my notes but, I believe it was filtering in the 540 to 580 range. They were to be worn a couple hours before normal sleep time to change the circadian clock to normal. Patient reported back after about 2 weeks, things were better. Haven't had another chance to prove or disprove this theory, but I do have a happy patient.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Not to hi-jack here, but had a fairly intelligent customer with sleep problems. Customer is a big time internet researcher, and brought me all this info on high contrast light filtering, not at the office for my notes but, I believe it was filtering in the 540 to 580 range. They were to be worn a couple hours before normal sleep time to change the circadian clock to normal. Patient reported back after about 2 weeks, things were better. Haven't had another chance to prove or disprove this theory, but I do have a happy patient.
    I have full spectrum light bulbs in our bedroom that turn on 1/2 hour before I wake. Its refreshing, light is life light is composed of energy our body needs that energy. Pretty simple stuff.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your ability to regurgitate web content is impressive, but it is hardly YOUR research. I am as capable as anyone of finding the information I use for my writing. However, thanks for the offer, but I believe I'll pass. On the other hand, perhaps you were referring to other members who write for various trade mags. Thinly veiled insults were never your forte, MO.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    Earliest I have been able to find:

What's in a Color? The Unique Human Health Effects of Blue Light
    Holzman DC 2010. What's in a Color? The Unique Human Health Effects of Blue Light.
    Environ Health Perspect 118:A22-A27. doi:10.1289/ehp.118-a22

More Research:

Exposure to Room Light before Bedtime Suppresses Melatonin Onset and Shortens Melatonin Duration in Humans
    Joshua J. Gooley, Kyle Chamberlain, Kurt A. Smith, Sat Bir S. Khalsa, Shantha M. W. Rajaratnam, Eliza Van Reen, Jamie M. Zeitzer, Charles A. Czeisler, Steven W. Lockley
    J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011 March; 96(3): E463–E472. Published online 2010 December 30. doi: 10.1210/jc.2010-2098

The human circadian system adapts to prior photic history
    Anne-Marie Chang, Frank A J L Scheer, Charles A Czeisler
    J Physiol. 2011 March 1; 589(Pt 5): 1095–1102. Published online 2011 January 10. doi: 10.1113/jphysiol.2010.201194
    PMCID: PMC3060589

High sensitivity of the human circadian melatonin rhythm to resetting by short wavelength light.
    Lockley SW, Brainard GC, Czeisler CA.
    J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003 Sep;88(9):4502-5.
    PMID: 12970330 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Effect of Light on Human Circadian Physiology
    Jeanne F. Duffy, Charles A. Czeisler. Sleep Med Clin. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2010 June 1.
    Published in final edited form as: Sleep Med Clin. 2009 June; 4(2): 165–177. doi: 10.1016/j.jsmc.2009.01.004
    PMCID: PMC2717723

Suppression of melatonin secretion in some blind patients by exposure to bright light.
    Czeisler CA, Shanahan TL, Klerman EB, Martens H, Brotman DJ, Emens JS, Klein T, Rizzo JF 3rd.
    N Engl J Med. 1995 Jan 5;332(1):6-11.
    PMID: 7990870 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

A phase response curve to single bright light pulses in human subjects
    Sat Bir S Khalsa, Megan E Jewett, Christian Cajochen, Charles A Czeisler
    J Physiol. 2003 June 15; 549(Pt 3): 945–952. Published online 2003 April 25. doi: 10.1113/jphysiol.2003.040477
    PMCID: PMC2342968

Amplitude Reduction and Phase Shifts of Melatonin, Cortisol and Other Circadian Rhythms after a Gradual Advance of Sleep and Light Exposure in Humans
    Derk-Jan Dijk, Jeanne F. Duffy, Edward J. Silva, Theresa L. Shanahan, Diane B. Boivin, Charles A. Czeisler
    PLoS One. 2012; 7(2): e30037. Published online 2012 February 17. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0030037

Sex difference in the near-24-hour intrinsic period of the human circadian timing system
    Jeanne F. Duffy, Sean W. Cain, Anne-Marie Chang, Andrew J. K. Phillips, Mirjam Y. Münch, Claude Gronfier, James K. Wyatt, Derk-Jan Dijk, Kenneth P. Wright, Jr., Charles A. Czeisler
    Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011 September 13; 108(Supplement_3): 15602–15608. Published online 2011 May 2. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1010666108

Uncovering Residual Effects of Chronic Sleep Loss on Human Performance
    Daniel A. Cohen, Wei Wang, James K. Wyatt, Richard E. Kronauer, Derk-Jan Dijk, Charles A. Czeisler, Elizabeth B. Klerman
    Sci Transl Med. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2010 July 13. Published in final edited form as: Sci Transl Med. 2010 January 13; 2(14): 14ra3. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3000458
    PMCID: PMC2892834

The Impact of Sleep Timing and Bright Light Exposure on Attentional Impairment during Night Work
    Nayantara Santhi, Daniel Aeschbach, Todd S. Horowitz, Charles A. Czeisler
    J Biol Rhythms. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2009 August 1.
    Published in final edited form as: J Biol Rhythms. 2008 August; 23(4): 341–352. doi: 10.1177/0748730408319863
    PMCID: PMC2574505

Short-Wavelength Light Sensitivity of Circadian, Pupillary, and Visual Awareness in Humans Lacking an Outer Retina
    Farhan H. Zaidi, Joseph T. Hull, Stuart N. Peirson, Katharina Wulff, Daniel Aeschbach, Joshua J. Gooley, George C. Brainard, Kevin Gregory-Evans, Joseph F. Rizzo, III, Charles A. Czeisler, Russell G. Foster, Merrick J. Moseley, Steven W. Lockley.
    Curr Biol. 2007 December 18; 17(24): 2122–2128. doi: 10.1016/j.cub.2007.11.034
    PMCID: PMC2151130

Entrainment of the human circadian pacemaker to longer-than-24-h days
    Claude Gronfier, Kenneth P. Wright, Jr., Richard E. Kronauer, Charles A. Czeisler
    Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007 May 22; 104(21): 9081–9086. Published online 2007 May 14. doi: 10.1073/pnas.0702835104
    PMCID: PMC1885631

Decreased sensitivity to phase-delaying effects of moderate intensity light in older subjects
    Jeanne F. Duffy, Jamie M. Zeitzer, Charles A. Czeisler
    Neurobiol Aging. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2008 May 1.
    Published in final edited form as: Neurobiol Aging. 2007 May; 28(5): 799–807. Published online 2006 April 18. doi: 10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2006.03.005
    PMCID: PMC1855248

Efficacy of a single sequence of intermittent bright light pulses for delaying circadian phase in humans
    Claude Gronfier, Kenneth P. Wright, Richard E. Kronauer, Megan E. Jewett, Charles A. Czeisler
    Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2009 October 14.
    Published in final edited form as: Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2004 July; 287(1): E174–E181. Published online 2004 March 23. doi: 10.1152/ajpendo.00385.2003
    PMCID: PMC2761596

Intrinsic period and light intensity determine the phase relationship between melatonin and sleep in humans
    Kenneth P. Wright, Claude Gronfier, Jeanne F. Duffy, Charles A. Czeisler
    J Biol Rhythms. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2009 July 27.
    Published in final edited form as: J Biol Rhythms. 2005 April; 20(2): 168–177. doi: 10.1177/0748730404274265
    PMCID: PMC2714089

Sensitivity of the human circadian pacemaker to nocturnal light: melatonin phase resetting and suppression
    Jamie M Zeitzer, Derk-Jan Dijk, Richard E Kronauer, Emery N Brown, Charles A Czeisler
    J Physiol. 2000 August 1; 526(Pt 3): 695–702. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-7793.2000.00695.x
    PMCID: PMC2270041

Intrinsic near-24-h pacemaker period determines limits of circadian entrainment to a weak synchronizer in humans
    Kenneth P. Wright, Jr., Rod J Hughes, Richard E. Kronauer, Derk-Jan Dijk, Charles A. Czeisler
    Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001 November 20; 98(24): 14027–14032. doi: 10.1073/pnas.201530198
    PMCID: PMC61161

Phase-shifting human circadian rhythms: influence of sleep timing, social contact and light exposure
    J F Duffy, R E Kronauer, C A Czeisler
    J Physiol. 1996 August 15; 495(Pt 1): 289–297.
    PMCID: PMC1160744

Temporal dynamics of late-night photic stimulation of the human circadian timing system
    Zeitzer JM, Khalsa SB, Boivin DB, Duffy JF, Shanahan TL, Kronauer RE, Czeisler CA.
    Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2005 Sep;289(3):R839-44. Epub 2005 May 12.
    PMID: 15890792 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Adaptation of human pineal melatonin suppression by recent photic history
    Smith KA, Schoen MW, Czeisler CA.
    J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004 Jul;89(7):3610-4. Erratum in: J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005 Mar;90(3):1370.
    PMID: 15240654 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Dynamic resetting of the human circadian pacemaker by intermittent bright light.
    Rimmer DW, Boivin DB, Shanahan TL, Kronauer RE, Duffy JF, Czeisler CA.
    Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2000 Nov;279(5):R1574-9.
    PMID: 11049838 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Human circadian pacemaker is sensitive to light throughout subjective day without evidence of transients.
    Jewett ME, Rimmer DW, Duffy JF, Klerman EB, Kronauer RE, Czeisler CA.
    Am J Physiol. 1997 Nov;273(5 Pt 2):R1800-9.
    PMID: 9374826 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Exposure to bright light and darkness to treat physiologic maladaptation to night work.
    Czeisler CA, Johnson MP, Duffy JF, Brown EN, Ronda JM, Kronauer RE.
    N Engl J Med. 1990 May 3;322(18):1253-9.
    PMID: 2325721 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I have full versions and copies for anyone interested but I hate posting my research because I seem to always find an article about it in next months optical rags. Using someone elses time an effort to research a subject is not FREE for anyone being paid to write articles unless they either credit or link back IMO, but since asked and I had it handy.

If interested you could also search for f.lux which is software that will change your monitors color temperature to match the suns color temperature throughout the day. I recommend it to all my clients that suffer from sleep deprivation and have jobs working on computers.

Can't wait until next months issue of 20/20, ECP Mag, etc. where the resident expert all of a sudden has these great ideas for blue light.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 05-01-2014 at 10:24 PM.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Your ability to regurgitate web content is impressive, but it is hardly YOUR research. I am as capable as anyone of finding the information I use for my writing. However, thanks for the offer, but I believe I'll pass. On the other hand, perhaps you were referring to other members who write for various trade mags. Thinly veiled insults were never your forte, MO.
    I wasn't insinuating you. Yes you are right regurgitating web information is easy, when Crizal Prevenzia came out I spent a few weeks putting together a bunch of information. That software which I plainly stated in my post and the links it provides was the easy part.

I have learned to reserve the meat of my knowledge because of this very scenario, sharing instead of being appreciated is just plain loathed among opticians. I find that the dumber I appear the more accepted I am at least until the grey hairs fill in, until then I'll just absorb and continue not to share.

BTW, I believe Dr Carlock is writing on UV/HEV light in one of the coming issue of your magazine and I have shared this information with her months ago, the choice to pass unfortunately is not yours in this case.

Occupation
    I can see how maybe you could have taken offense to my earlier post. I quoted your post because Roberts follow-up post referenced little available information. My reply backed up your own assertions about UV and HEV, with actual research and data. And No thinly veiled insults are not my forte, I speak my mind another method which allows me to sleep at night.

Sorry if somehow my post was misconstrued as an insult.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    I can see how maybe you could have taken offense to my earlier post. I quoted your post because Roberts follow-up post referenced little available information.
    Quality, not quantity, and on-topic.

Occupation
    Quality, not quantity, and on-topic.
    Your right on topic but the quality of the research in my post is high.

I think its the application of a new product and by new the stack has been rearranged. For now the uv reflectance of the ARC is being touted as the holy grail for outdoor use but I think the real application is as a therapuetic tint. In a therapeutic application it can be used to help with sleep disorders.

There is a lot of research that deals with dyslexia and filters, low vision and filters, etc. I used to enjoy post from a professional from across the pond that dealt with filters and their therapeutic effects. I think the future will hold various filters and hopefully we can see studies on the effects of different wavelengths of light.

If you are interested in some phenominal applications of filters call BPI and inquire about their 4-5-6 lenses. If you pm me Robert we can talk in more detail.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    <<They all look like they've been swimming in the bottom of a urinal for a couple weeks to me. Just like Trivex did (and several HI's too).>>

I have to agree. After seeing the results on a 1.74 HiX lens, one of my patients couldn't even wear it because the yellow was so distracting. I won't sell it on HiX again.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wear the Hoya recharge, Yes it does have a funny yellowish color, and the AR itself is blue, but my eyes don't seem as tired at the end of the day compared to my regular AR coated lenses. A co-worker in the hospital feels the same way, that her eyes just are not as tired.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's like blueblockers all over again. ;) So much anecdotal "evidence" of the efficacy of the "latest" trend in eye glasses. What's old is new again. LOL

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    It's like blueblockers all over again. ;) So much anecdotal "evidence" of the efficacy of the "latest" trend in eye glasses. What's old is new again. LOL
    You better calm down Skippy!

Captain Obvious, aka The King of Cut and Paste, will spank your experience, knowledge, and educated wisdom, on this subject and let you know that 52 years ago, in a European country, his family invented a tint that was Blueishblockerish in nature, that has proven to be able to save the human race!

Don't make him cut-n-paste to prove it!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Really?! His family invented the blueish blockerish tinty thingy. I, for one, need to hear more about this. So I will kick back with a jar of delicious paste, some cold beer to wash it down with and keep an eye out for blood on the screen from paper cuts.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    You better calm down Skippy!

Captain Obvious, aka The King of Cut and Paste, will spank your experience, knowledge, and educated wisdom, on this subject and let you know that 52 years ago, in a European country, his family invented a tint that was Blueishblockerish in nature, that has proven to be able to save the human race!

Don't make him cut-n-paste to prove it!
    OK. Yeah...I giggled.

;)

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Wow, tough crowd in here...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Any blue filtering lens product, either an infused tint or a HEV coating, is a good fit for computer users, gamers, etc. Of course they're not clear, some tint is necessary to filter the blue wavelengths. Think it through.
    Judy, there is a new product that will filter Blue Light via the material, not in a coating. It uses EMR interference and not particle occlusion, so a EM field is created that blocks certain spectrums, very much like some UV technologies (from what they would actually share with me). It will block about 80% of Blue with less than .5% residual color when finished (semi-finished blanks do show some residual color). PM me for more info... unlike other solutions that block only 20% Blue but have 10% residual color.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Judy, there is a new product that will filter Blue Light via the material, not in a coating. It uses EMR interference and not particle occlusion, so a EM field is created that blocks certain spectrums, very much like some UV technologies (from what they would actually share with me). It will block about 80% of Blue with less than .5% residual color when finished (semi-finished blanks do show some residual color). PM me for more info... unlike other solutions that block only 20% Blue but have 10% residual color.
    Is this from Misui? Have you seen or do you have any pictures?

Thread Information