Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crizal Prevencia

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Funny story; we made the test pairs and somehow ended up with Alize on some of them. Those users originally said they didn't notice any difference for a month until someone pointed out to them that they didn't have any purple hue. After their pairs were corrected they reported less eye strain. It would appear to have passed the accidental placebo.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm almost a week in my new prevencia lenses. My transitions don't seem to get as dark, but these are 7 compared to my older 6 pair. The purple cast doesn't bother me at all, but the slight yellow doesn't do my very fair complexion any favors. I can say, without a doubt they have helped my eye strain at the end of the day. My former q.i.d. tears habit is down to once a day and I have much less redness in the evening.
    We are selling them at a more brisk pace than I expected. It certainly helps to be wearing them to show the patients what they look like. So far, so good.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a patient looking for a purple-hued AR coat but the blu-light tech is not requested or needed. Any ideas that wouldn't have the yellowish-hue?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

TEH Blue :)

I only have experience with Hoya's BlueControl, so I will say this:

The coating's intention is NOT to filter 100% of blue light, why would it be? Lens would be bright Yellow. It does "cut" high energy light by around 11%. Now the "cut" of any light (incl. the Blue Light) is influenced by things like diopter value, lens index etc. But on any two compared Lenses the added value of BlueControl is around 11% more protection vs a classic AR coat, which for Hoya seems like the ideal ratio between "looks VS protection".

Of course the lens HAS to have a slight residual yellow color... Cause if you cut some blue from the light spectrum the result can not be white any more, but.... slightly yellow..

Best you can imagine this with some RBG mixer like this: http://www.colortools.net/color_mixer.html

If you boost all the RBG to 255, the result is white. Lower the Blue to like 220 and there you go (I use this to explain how these coatings work to Engineers and Teachers :p ... but nah, actually even ppl sensitive to colors working with graphics etc. should know this and decide after)

If not for the health benefits (quite many articles already floating around the web) the contrast benefits you can see right away (unless you work with someone who is a bit slower).

Either way, here you can read something if interested, not saying it's the best links ever, but it's the ones I could find within a minute of using Google :)

http://www.crizalusa.com/SiteCollect...te%20Paper.pdf

http://www.revoptom.com/continuing_e...ssonid/109744/

http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/09/led-li...-eyes-4220937/

Hope this helps to understand the problematics a bit better :)

Cheers...

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Opty4062-what's the genetic test for AMD your patient took. Did you administer it?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi-what's the genetic test for AMD your patient did? Did you administer it?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I and the head technician administer cheek swabs for the doctors that are shipped off to a lab via macular risk. http://www.macularisk.com/
    The results arrive in about a week. They show in a graph and numbers the likelyhood of a patient developing AMD over their lifetime. The testing includes lifestyle and family history questions as well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I sold my firs pair in the office last month. When it came in I was pretty disappointed. Weird color and its not a clear lens. There is a slight tint to it. We had our lab rep come in and I showed her the lenses. She said that it was a "Niche" lens. More often sold by the doctor to patients with early cataracts and macular degeneration. It filters 20% of the harmful blue light and uv and then it sounded like every adult in the Charley Brown cartoons wahh wah wah waaaah wah waaaaaah. Were selling it for entirely to much but I can see the benefit for the "Niche" she's talking about. I wouldn't sell it again. Ill leave that to the doctors to peddle.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any blue filtering lens product, either an infused tint or a HEV coating, is a good fit for computer users, gamers, etc. Of course they're not clear, some tint is necessary to filter the blue wavelengths. Think it through.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post

Any blue filtering lens product, either an infused tint or a HEV coating, is a good fit for computer users, gamers, etc. Of course they're not clear, some tint is necessary to filter the blue wavelengths. Think it through.

Any lens measured through a real spectrometer will certify above statement.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    I sold my firs pair in the office last month. When it came in I was pretty disappointed. Weird color and its not a clear lens. There is a slight tint to it. We had our lab rep come in and I showed her the lenses. She said that it was a "Niche" lens. More often sold by the doctor to patients with early cataracts and macular degeneration. It filters 20% of the harmful blue light and uv and then it sounded like every adult in the Charley Brown cartoons wahh wah wah waaaah wah waaaaaah. Were selling it for entirely to much but I can see the benefit for the "Niche" she's talking about. I wouldn't sell it again. Ill leave that to the doctors to peddle.
    Considering that our televisions are now all LED backlit, and the average American spends untold hours a day on iPads, iPhones, or in front of computer monitors, a lens to filter out blue light doesn't seem that uncalled for.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just received my Blutech lenses today. The color is not heinous, but it is noticeable. That being said, the immediate effect at my computer is also noticeably more comfortable.

Waiting now for my BlueScreen AR with the same lens design for comparison.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post
    Considering that our televisions are now all LED backlit, and the average American spends untold hours a day on iPads, iPhones, or in front of computer monitors, a lens to filter out blue light doesn't seem that uncalled for.
    Agree.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We could also turn the brightness down 20% or so, and maybe change the color temperature, but the peer reviewed (non-manufacturer sponsored) evidence is thin to nonexistent.

I worry more about sun exposure, especially after cataract surgery.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    We could also turn the brightness down 20% or so, and maybe change the color temperature, but the peer reviewed (non-manufacturer sponsored) evidence is thin to nonexistent.
    Have you any links? Most of the lit I've been able to look at has been manufacturer sponsored; about the only study I've found was from an experiment in Europe that found a link between HEV and eye damage, but that nominally involved specifically black light exposure and didn't look at LEDs, etc.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15302349 and there are others.

Now, here's my take. Back in the 70s-80s, we started talking about UV exposure and cataract formation. There are still folks out there that believe it's a scam. Most of us decided that the prudent step was to at least offer the option of UV protection. A generation later and UV absorptive lenses are the rule rather than the exception. I believe that while the jury may still be out, to ignore or to choose to not offer the option of protection is less than prudent. After all is said and done, it's your patient's vision and choice, not yours.

24 hours later, I am satisfied with my lenses. My next pair will be the sun (outdoor) option since I prefer a brown polarized lens already.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 04-29-2014 at 10:36 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As I said- thin to nonexistent.

Without reference to artificial light, I think...

“Age-related Maculopathy and the Impact of Blue Light Hazard,”
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16445433

“Visible Light and Risk of Age-related Macular Degeneration,”
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2095019

“Sunlight and the 10-year Incidence of Age-related Maculopathy: the Beaver Dam Eye Study,”
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15136324

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why a concern about sun exposure following cataract surgery? IOL's are UV-absorptive, some are even blue-light absorptive as well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why a concern about sun exposure following cataract surgery? IOL's are UV-absorptive, some are even blue-light absorptive as well.
    I've observed that most folks are more light sensitive following cataract surgery. The simplest explanation is due to increased (x2 or more) retinal illumination from the clearer media. Most will start to wear sunglasses for this reason, if they haven't been wearing tinted lenses heretofore. Are there any retinal health benefits?

Here are some starting points; if I have time I'll post more.

http://www.aao.org/publications/eyen...cfm#__topdoc__

http://www.revophth.com/content/d/re.../1310/c/25230/

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would argue that there is a difference between light sensitivity and either UV or HEVL (Blue Light) exposure. Neither am I trying to argue in favor of one lens treatment versus another. I would posit that the environment in which we now function has changed dramatically in a very short amount of time and that it would be unwise to further assume that our patient's vision will remain unaffected, keeping in mind that generations of Chesapeake Bay watermen were exposed to excessive amounts of UV rays before a link to cataracts was established. To ignore the possibility of cumulative damage from high energy visible light seems, to me, to be disingenuous.

But, to each his own.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper What is better, a bit or full protection .......................................

Cataracts and Other Eye Damage

Cataracts are a form of eye damage in which a loss of transparency in the lens of the eye clouds vision. If left untreated, cataracts can lead to blindness. Research has shown that UV radiation increases the likelihood of certain cataracts. Although curable with modern eye surgery, cataracts diminish the eyesight of millions of Americans and cost billions of dollars in medical care each year.
    Other kinds of eye damage include pterygium (tissue growth that can block vision), skin cancer around the eyes, and degeneration of the macula (the part of the retina where visual perception is most acute). All of these problems can be lessened with proper eye protection. Look for sunglasses, glasses or contact lenses if you wear them, that offer 99 to 100 percent UV protection.

see all of it ------------> http://www2.epa.gov/sunwise/health-effects-uv-radiation

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would argue that there is a difference between light sensitivity and either UV or HEVL (Blue Light) exposure.
    Yes, two different issues. However, post cataract surgery eyes do not have the benefit of a clouded and/or yellow media.

Neither am I trying to argue in favor of one lens treatment versus another. I would posit that the environment in which we now function has changed dramatically in a very short amount of time
    Office workers since the 50's have been exposed to fluorescent lighting.

and that it would be unwise to further assume that our patient's vision will remain unaffected, keeping in mind that generations of Chesapeake Bay watermen were exposed to excessive amounts of UV rays before a link to cataracts was established. To ignore the possibility of cumulative damage from high energy visible light seems, to me, to be disingenuous.

But, to each his own.
    It should be studied, if there is evidence to suspect that artificial lighting is a danger to our eyes. However, I have had no success finding peer reviewed scientific studies to date, only conjecture. And because the luminance levels indoors are significantly lower than what we receive from sunlight, I suspect that the old saying 'the dose makes the poison' may be relevant.

Retinal Light Toxicity

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3144654/

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If only fluorescent lighting were the only source. Few, if any, were working with computer screens, smart phones, etc. The problem is that the jury is still out. I'm sure that a few generations of watermen would have benefited from UV protection, had we only known its effects earlier.

An ounce of protection, just in case there's no cure? I will hold fast to offering the option rather than waiting for the question or the demand.

Chemistrie Eyewear
    Occupation
    We began offering the lenses to deflect/absorb HEV light in our Chemistrie system and also as a ready-made product. We looked at different lenses and coatings for several months and decided to offer both yellow tinted lenses and clear lenses with the AR coating that deflects the blue light. We are selling more of the clear lenses due to cosmetic reasons. Customers seem to prefer the clear lenses with a slight blue hue to the yellow/amber lenses.

I try to avoid the debate regarding blue light and AMD. Only time will tell if there is a link. As someone who has spent much of his career looking at a computer screen, HEV lights is a concern. Like Robert notes, many of the studies were sponsored by lens companies. What I do believe is that glasses that deflect blue light make for a much better experience when you spend time in front of a computer screen and the customer feedback we have to date confirms this.

We had a booth back in January at the Consumer Electronics Show to see if the tech world would embrace a product such as this. The feedback was overwhelmingly positive. A high % of people who work in front of a computer experience digital eyestrain. When you explain and demonstrate the product to a consumer spends a significant amount of time in front of a PC or other digital device, a very high % will make the purchase.

In Japan, there is an optical retailer named Jins. This company introduced a line of computer glasses a few years back that has sold in the millions of units. They are offered in both Rx and ready made. Sales of these glasses have slowed somewhat, but they are still a big seller.

In my biased opinion, the debate needs to get beyond whether or not you want to carry a PC lens product but rather which one will you carry. Independents need to establish themselves as the experts and the goto place for such products before they end up on endcaps at CVS, Walmart and Costco.
    Last edited by Joe Zewe; 05-01-2014 at 10:14 AM.

Occupation
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15302349 and there are others.

Now, here's my take. Back in the 70s-80s, we started talking about UV exposure and cataract formation. There are still folks out there that believe it's a scam. Most of us decided that the prudent step was to at least offer the option of UV protection. A generation later and UV absorptive lenses are the rule rather than the exception. I believe that while the jury may still be out, to ignore or to choose to not offer the option of protection is less than prudent. After all is said and done, it's your patient's vision and choice, not yours.

24 hours later, I am satisfied with my lenses. My next pair will be the sun (outdoor) option since I prefer a brown polarized lens already.
    Earliest I have been able to find:

What's in a Color? The Unique Human Health Effects of Blue Light
    Holzman DC 2010. What's in a Color? The Unique Human Health Effects of Blue Light.
    Environ Health Perspect 118:A22-A27. doi:10.1289/ehp.118-a22

More Research:

Exposure to Room Light before Bedtime Suppresses Melatonin Onset and Shortens Melatonin Duration in Humans
    Joshua J. Gooley, Kyle Chamberlain, Kurt A. Smith, Sat Bir S. Khalsa, Shantha M. W. Rajaratnam, Eliza Van Reen, Jamie M. Zeitzer, Charles A. Czeisler, Steven W. Lockley
    J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011 March; 96(3): E463–E472. Published online 2010 December 30. doi: 10.1210/jc.2010-2098

The human circadian system adapts to prior photic history
    Anne-Marie Chang, Frank A J L Scheer, Charles A Czeisler
    J Physiol. 2011 March 1; 589(Pt 5): 1095–1102. Published online 2011 January 10. doi: 10.1113/jphysiol.2010.201194
    PMCID: PMC3060589

High sensitivity of the human circadian melatonin rhythm to resetting by short wavelength light.
    Lockley SW, Brainard GC, Czeisler CA.
    J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003 Sep;88(9):4502-5.
    PMID: 12970330 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Effect of Light on Human Circadian Physiology
    Jeanne F. Duffy, Charles A. Czeisler. Sleep Med Clin. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2010 June 1.
    Published in final edited form as: Sleep Med Clin. 2009 June; 4(2): 165–177. doi: 10.1016/j.jsmc.2009.01.004
    PMCID: PMC2717723

Suppression of melatonin secretion in some blind patients by exposure to bright light.
    Czeisler CA, Shanahan TL, Klerman EB, Martens H, Brotman DJ, Emens JS, Klein T, Rizzo JF 3rd.
    N Engl J Med. 1995 Jan 5;332(1):6-11.
    PMID: 7990870 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

A phase response curve to single bright light pulses in human subjects
    Sat Bir S Khalsa, Megan E Jewett, Christian Cajochen, Charles A Czeisler
    J Physiol. 2003 June 15; 549(Pt 3): 945–952. Published online 2003 April 25. doi: 10.1113/jphysiol.2003.040477
    PMCID: PMC2342968

Amplitude Reduction and Phase Shifts of Melatonin, Cortisol and Other Circadian Rhythms after a Gradual Advance of Sleep and Light Exposure in Humans
    Derk-Jan Dijk, Jeanne F. Duffy, Edward J. Silva, Theresa L. Shanahan, Diane B. Boivin, Charles A. Czeisler
    PLoS One. 2012; 7(2): e30037. Published online 2012 February 17. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0030037

Sex difference in the near-24-hour intrinsic period of the human circadian timing system
    Jeanne F. Duffy, Sean W. Cain, Anne-Marie Chang, Andrew J. K. Phillips, Mirjam Y. Münch, Claude Gronfier, James K. Wyatt, Derk-Jan Dijk, Kenneth P. Wright, Jr., Charles A. Czeisler
    Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011 September 13; 108(Supplement_3): 15602–15608. Published online 2011 May 2. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1010666108

Uncovering Residual Effects of Chronic Sleep Loss on Human Performance
    Daniel A. Cohen, Wei Wang, James K. Wyatt, Richard E. Kronauer, Derk-Jan Dijk, Charles A. Czeisler, Elizabeth B. Klerman
    Sci Transl Med. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2010 July 13. Published in final edited form as: Sci Transl Med. 2010 January 13; 2(14): 14ra3. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3000458
    PMCID: PMC2892834

The Impact of Sleep Timing and Bright Light Exposure on Attentional Impairment during Night Work
    Nayantara Santhi, Daniel Aeschbach, Todd S. Horowitz, Charles A. Czeisler
    J Biol Rhythms. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2009 August 1.
    Published in final edited form as: J Biol Rhythms. 2008 August; 23(4): 341–352. doi: 10.1177/0748730408319863
    PMCID: PMC2574505

Short-Wavelength Light Sensitivity of Circadian, Pupillary, and Visual Awareness in Humans Lacking an Outer Retina
    Farhan H. Zaidi, Joseph T. Hull, Stuart N. Peirson, Katharina Wulff, Daniel Aeschbach, Joshua J. Gooley, George C. Brainard, Kevin Gregory-Evans, Joseph F. Rizzo, III, Charles A. Czeisler, Russell G. Foster, Merrick J. Moseley, Steven W. Lockley.
    Curr Biol. 2007 December 18; 17(24): 2122–2128. doi: 10.1016/j.cub.2007.11.034
    PMCID: PMC2151130

Entrainment of the human circadian pacemaker to longer-than-24-h days
    Claude Gronfier, Kenneth P. Wright, Jr., Richard E. Kronauer, Charles A. Czeisler
    Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007 May 22; 104(21): 9081–9086. Published online 2007 May 14. doi: 10.1073/pnas.0702835104
    PMCID: PMC1885631

Decreased sensitivity to phase-delaying effects of moderate intensity light in older subjects
    Jeanne F. Duffy, Jamie M. Zeitzer, Charles A. Czeisler
    Neurobiol Aging. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2008 May 1.
    Published in final edited form as: Neurobiol Aging. 2007 May; 28(5): 799–807. Published online 2006 April 18. doi: 10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2006.03.005
    PMCID: PMC1855248

Efficacy of a single sequence of intermittent bright light pulses for delaying circadian phase in humans
    Claude Gronfier, Kenneth P. Wright, Richard E. Kronauer, Megan E. Jewett, Charles A. Czeisler
    Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2009 October 14.
    Published in final edited form as: Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2004 July; 287(1): E174–E181. Published online 2004 March 23. doi: 10.1152/ajpendo.00385.2003
    PMCID: PMC2761596

Intrinsic period and light intensity determine the phase relationship between melatonin and sleep in humans
    Kenneth P. Wright, Claude Gronfier, Jeanne F. Duffy, Charles A. Czeisler
    J Biol Rhythms. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2009 July 27.
    Published in final edited form as: J Biol Rhythms. 2005 April; 20(2): 168–177. doi: 10.1177/0748730404274265
    PMCID: PMC2714089

Sensitivity of the human circadian pacemaker to nocturnal light: melatonin phase resetting and suppression
    Jamie M Zeitzer, Derk-Jan Dijk, Richard E Kronauer, Emery N Brown, Charles A Czeisler
    J Physiol. 2000 August 1; 526(Pt 3): 695–702. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-7793.2000.00695.x
    PMCID: PMC2270041

Intrinsic near-24-h pacemaker period determines limits of circadian entrainment to a weak synchronizer in humans
    Kenneth P. Wright, Jr., Rod J Hughes, Richard E. Kronauer, Derk-Jan Dijk, Charles A. Czeisler
    Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001 November 20; 98(24): 14027–14032. doi: 10.1073/pnas.201530198
    PMCID: PMC61161

Phase-shifting human circadian rhythms: influence of sleep timing, social contact and light exposure
    J F Duffy, R E Kronauer, C A Czeisler
    J Physiol. 1996 August 15; 495(Pt 1): 289–297.
    PMCID: PMC1160744

Temporal dynamics of late-night photic stimulation of the human circadian timing system
    Zeitzer JM, Khalsa SB, Boivin DB, Duffy JF, Shanahan TL, Kronauer RE, Czeisler CA.
    Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2005 Sep;289(3):R839-44. Epub 2005 May 12.
    PMID: 15890792 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Adaptation of human pineal melatonin suppression by recent photic history
    Smith KA, Schoen MW, Czeisler CA.
    J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004 Jul;89(7):3610-4. Erratum in: J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005 Mar;90(3):1370.
    PMID: 15240654 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Dynamic resetting of the human circadian pacemaker by intermittent bright light.
    Rimmer DW, Boivin DB, Shanahan TL, Kronauer RE, Duffy JF, Czeisler CA.
    Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2000 Nov;279(5):R1574-9.
    PMID: 11049838 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Human circadian pacemaker is sensitive to light throughout subjective day without evidence of transients.
    Jewett ME, Rimmer DW, Duffy JF, Klerman EB, Kronauer RE, Czeisler CA.
    Am J Physiol. 1997 Nov;273(5 Pt 2):R1800-9.
    PMID: 9374826 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Exposure to bright light and darkness to treat physiologic maladaptation to night work.
    Czeisler CA, Johnson MP, Duffy JF, Brown EN, Ronda JM, Kronauer RE.
    N Engl J Med. 1990 May 3;322(18):1253-9.
    PMID: 2325721 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I have full versions and copies for anyone interested but I hate posting my research because I seem to always find an article about it in next months optical rags. Using someone elses time an effort to research a subject is not FREE for anyone being paid to write articles unless they either credit or link back IMO, but since asked and I had it handy.

If interested you could also search for f.lux which is software that will change your monitors color temperature to match the suns color temperature throughout the day. I recommend it to all my clients that suffer from sleep deprivation and have jobs working on computers.

Can't wait until next months issue of 20/20, ECP Mag, etc. where the resident expert all of a sudden has these great ideas for blue light.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Thread Information