Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capture Rate

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Capture Rate

This is certainly a general question but one we are exploring here at this practice. Question: What is your capture rate (exams done in relation to frames and lenses or just lenses only sold). What percentage is that for you? Please be as close to possible with a conservative edge on your figures. Ours is about 20 percent. One out of 5 exams get glasses. I'm thinking this is way too low, or am I wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SailorEd View Post
    This is certainly a general question but one we are exploring here at this practice. Question: What is your capture rate (exams done in relation to frames and lenses or just lenses only sold). What percentage is that for you? Please be as close to possible with a conservative edge on your figures. Ours is about 20 percent. One out of 5 exams get glasses. I'm thinking this is way too low, or am I wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
    For "eyeglass exams" that number is probably lower than it should be. However, if you are including Cl exams in the exam number then that might be about right. Many cl patients only use their eyewear for approximately 30 mins per night and do not feel the need to purchase new or even upgrade lenses IF they function well for THAT purpose.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In one office I "sub" in there are two doctors. The O.D. does a great "hand-off" to the opticians and the capture rate is about 90%. The M.D. gives them the Rx and sends them on their way. They don't even have to pass through the dispensary to take care of co-pays or follow-up appointments. His capture rate is about
    20%. 'Nuff said.
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SailorEd View Post

I don't think you're that low... At my office our capture rate is 29%. Most of this is because the amount of time the patient spends with the techs and OD...Approximately an hour and a half. By the time they're done with their exam, the last thing they want to do is select a frame and then discuss lens options.

This upsets me a little bit because I've done everything I can to boost my captures. It seems that the focus is on a more medically oriented examination and that it's "okay" to come back later to get glasses.

Ho hum

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Even if they come back later, that is still a capture. Just sayin.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I've had a capture rate of almost 90%. A capture rate of 20% is WELL below your practices potential and would negatively impact your practice income, and thus your pay.

I combined eyewear sales and one-year contact lens purchases = sale, but didn't count medical visits or CL follow-ups toward capture. I also discounted patients who ordered glasses with us in the prev. 13 months, but didn't have ANY RX change, they fell into medical.

A high capture rate is VERY possible. People are taking their RX somewhere else for a reason. Its up to you to find out why, but if you don't, a huge amount of money is walking out your door. I have an account with a 128% capture rate, in a middle class area, in a region very impacted by the economy. We can excuse ourselves a hundred different ways why our practice is different, but its an excuse. What you really need is a solution. High capture is possible, and its an imperative if we ever want to rescue this profession.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    This is a very important stat. We get bombarded with all kinds of macro level stats that you really can't do much with. It would be interesting to see a benchmarking on this "capture rate". While many variables will impact the rate, it can give an optician a general idea as to how she/he stacks up. Have any of the brain trusts who do studies such as the Vision Council, Jobson, or the venerable Essilor ever conducted a study that reveals this data? What about best practices to increase this rate?

Ideas on how to increase the capture rate would be a great topic for a thread. Or maybe we could talk more about free PD measurements (as I duck).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    In my opinion, capture is the best single metric to measure practice success, (not the only one of course). Why practices don't achieve capture is very worthy of discussion, but it is a complicated discussion. There is no single magic bullet to raise your capture to 90% or more. Every practice is different, and it requires a lot of changes in the entire practice to fix. Most people in this industry loathe change. There are many things that practices can implement to improve capture though, who else is interested?

I am convinced that the future success of Opticianry is tied to our ability to become practice and business leaders, and this could be a good start?

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Tabor View Post
    This is a very important stat. We get bombarded with all kinds of macro level stats that you really can't do much with. It would be interesting to see a benchmarking on this "capture rate". While many variables will impact the rate, it can give an optician a general idea as to how she/he stacks up. Have any of the brain trusts who do studies such as the Vision Council, Jobson, or the venerable Essilor ever conducted a study that reveals this data? What about best practices to increase this rate?

Ideas on how to increase the capture rate would be a great topic for a thread. Or maybe we could talk more about free PD measurements (as I duck).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The doctor to optician "hand-off" is an important part of capturing the sale. If the doc has done his job they will exit the exam room ready to ask questions and explore options. I have not done an exact study on capture rates at my office but yesterday we did 17 exams and had only one exam only. This might have included contact lens purchases as well. This is an average day but there are also days where any sale is like pulling teeth.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does anyone have input regarding how to increase capture rate? (Examples)

For example in my office we have an in house coupon that our front desk employee will hand to the patient with their RX as they finish up at the front desk and direct them to our Optical Shop.

Also to improve our capture rate we have a paging system. Our doctors ( when they remember to do so) will press a button in their room and a small hand held pager will chime in the Optical Shop to let us know which doctor and room to go to. At that point the doctor will hand off the patient to the Optician and mention a specific product and or issue / concern that relates to the patients exam and or glasses.

Both have help tremendously.

Do any of the opticians that have high capture rates have examples of their own?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Great Ideas, and Welcome to Optiboard Waugh!
    Quote Originally Posted by WAUGH View Post
    Does anyone have input regarding how to increase capture rate? (Examples)

For example in my office we have an in house coupon that our front desk employee will hand to the patient with their RX as they finish up at the front desk and direct them to our Optical Shop.

Also to improve our capture rate we have a paging system. Our doctors ( when they remember to do so) will press a button in their room and a small hand held pager will chime in the Optical Shop to let us know which doctor and room to go to. At that point the doctor will hand off the patient to the Optician and mention a specific product and or issue / concern that relates to the patients exam and or glasses.

Both have help tremendously.

Do any of the opticians that have high capture rates have examples of their own?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Capture rate is higher where buying eyewear is fun! Successful practices focus on the experience ! Its not just a product, its an event. Also, actually wearing fun and funky glasses explodes capture rate. I see a lot of practices, and capture is always higher where Opticians and Drs wear glasses (even just plano). Wear eyewear, sell eyewear. I think when we don't wear eyewear we send a message that really, our products suck. I won't even wear them!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really, really continue to find the both the language and tenor of "capturing" patients abhorent. I think if the consuming public was aware of how ECPs struggle to optimize Rx handoff, plant (self-serving) product selections in the patient's mind under the medical imprimatur of the doctor and improve Rx capture, it would be a PR nightmare for our whole industry.

There are certain lines we should not cross. Any dispassionate observer can easily determine where they lie.

B

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    I really, really continue to find the both the language and tenor of "capturing" patients abhorent. I think if the consuming public was aware of how ECPs struggle to optimize Rx handoff, plant (self-serving) product selections in the patient's mind under the medical imprimatur of the doctor and improve Rx capture, it would be a PR nightmare for our whole industry.

There are certain lines we should not cross. Any dispassionate observer can easily determine where they lie.

B
    Here . . . here.

"Capture" sort of flyes in the face of so called "medical professional" and of course the intent of the Federal Rx release legislation.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

B
    You are probably correct about the public relations nightmare. Peoples trust would be shattered...60 Minutes would run with that story for a few weeks and local stations would then pick it up. What a FIASCO...just sayin'

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sharpstick , thank you for the warm welcome.

Undoubtedly if the general public found out that we had been conspiring for their business and calling it “capturing” they would be alarmed. I believe it goes without saying that any product and the company that is selling / offering say product is doing all in their power to persuade potential customers their way. It is the ugly side of business.

I believe it’s not what you call it but how you go about it per-say. Through transparence, knowledge of product, and above all customer service/ customer centricity lies the true tools to reach the patient / potential customer.

Which is all good in theory, does anyone have examples to help with SailorEd and his dilemma to capture more patients?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Persuade is on one side of the "line". Capture, which leverages trust, is on the other, IMHO.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Talking about attempts to "capture", I had a new one yesterday. I had a new client walk in and decide to purchase from us. "Your Rx?"..."The Dr. didn't give me one.".... "Use my phone. They can fax it over"...

The client called and was told not only would he need to sign a "release", but produce a "picture I.D."

I actually like it when offices create such obstacles for their patients. It always infuriates them. Enough so that I'm at about a 100% "capture" rate of converting them to our practice. ( Along with their family and friends.) If your office has these types of policies, please, keep it up! It helps us out tremendously!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Capture rate is a bit of an illusion that consultants like to use to get a foot in the door. So called capture rate varies due to many different things. However, some tips to improve capture rate are: (P.S. anyone else not allowed to press enter and start a new paragraph when typing)? tip 1: You are not the first person to determine if you'll make a sale. Whoever answers your phones has to be knowledgeable in optical so as to pick up on subtle comments that patients make that indicate an eyewear need. That phone person should have enough working knowledge to be able to briefly describe the idea that a solution might exist that they had never considered before. tip 2: Don't dress like a moron. If you don't look presentable, then patients will have a tough time believing you have any interest or knowledge when it comes to fashion. At the same time, if you dress in the most expensive or super slick clothing, you send an image that you are overcharging or out of the patient's price range. tip 3: Know your stuff, but know their stuff too! If you don't know anything about engineering, learn. If you know nothing about golf, learn. If you know nothing about computers, learn. If you know nothing about smart phones, learn. If you know nothing about space exploration, learn. If you know nothing about cars, learn. etc. etc. etc. Tip 4: Don't prejudge. If you have an opinion about ex cons, forget it. If you have an opinion about people with/without kids, forget it. If you have an opinion about people who smell funny, forget it. If you have a bias, it will show. While you may think talking down to a child that you perceive to be misbehaving may seem reasonable, you are wrong. If you think telling someone how their recent life choice was not the right choice is a good idea, you're wrong. Learn to listen, empathize, and shut your mouth.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our capture rate is consistently 75%.... one out of 5 is extremely low.
    ~N

"The sands of time have already begun to pour against you.." ~Aaron D Yates

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I forgot to mention, our capture rate is about 70%, 20% does seem extremely low unless you do a ton of contacts

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Barry, you are right the terminology is poor. But every business needs to measure its effectiveness, other than P&L. Most industries would simply call it "Near Market Efficiency" I presume. What do you suggest we change the term to? I have never been ashamed of selling, because I know I won't oversell, manipulate, create false fear, over promise, or present the qualities of product falsely. Those to me are unethical. Good salemanship to me means meeting the needs of the patient.

I think we can, and should, get as many patients to buy needed products in our practice for their sakes. They will buy from somewhere, but if they buy from a professional they are likely to both end up with superior product, better service and in the end, the best value. Improving Near Market Efficiancy is more for their sakes than ours.

I really, really continue to find the both the language and tenor of "capturing" patients abhorent. I think if the consuming public was aware of how ECPs struggle to optimize
    Rx handoff, plant (self-serving) product selections in the patient's mind under the medical imprimatur of the doctor and improve Rx capture, it would be a PR nightmare for our whole industry.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This may be a bit confusing, but how do you calculate your capture rate? Is it for every exam done or is it for every rx written. In this office they do it for every rx written. For instance, distance eyeglass rx, computer eyeglass rx, and CL rx... Do you count glasses and cl separate when you calculate it, or do you just count the patient as 1 exam, period. We have been having an interesting discussion about this in our office. Right now the theory is every rx (Cl and spec) written by the dr is an opportunity for a sale and counts. What are your thoughts?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Capture rate is higher where buying eyewear is fun! Successful practices focus on the experience ! Its not just a product, its an event. Also, actually wearing fun and funky glasses explodes capture rate. I see a lot of practices, and capture is always higher where Opticians and Drs wear glasses (even just plano). Wear eyewear, sell eyewear. I think when we don't wear eyewear we send a message that really, our products suck. I won't even wear them!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
    Capture rate is a bit of an illusion that consultants like to use to get a foot in the door. So called capture rate varies due to many different things. However, some tips to improve capture rate are: (P.S. anyone else not allowed to press enter and start a new paragraph when typing)? tip 1: You are not the first person to determine if you'll make a sale. Whoever answers your phones has to be knowledgeable in optical so as to pick up on subtle comments that patients make that indicate an eyewear need. That phone person should have enough working knowledge to be able to briefly describe the idea that a solution might exist that they had never considered before. tip 2: Don't dress like a moron. If you don't look presentable, then patients will have a tough time believing you have any interest or knowledge when it comes to fashion. At the same time, if you dress in the most expensive or super slick clothing, you send an image that you are overcharging or out of the patient's price range...
    Up to this point, I think these are the best pieces of information I've seen thus far. Making sure the people in your office know their stuff or can get a patient right to someone immediately that does is key. People don't like feeling that they are wasting their time or talking to idiots.

One I would add is meet people at their level and gauge their interest. If they know absolutely nothing about lenses, or eyewear, but want to know, explains everything to them, at a level you think is appropriate to their understanding. If they know nothing, but look like they are not interested in hearing any of it, they are generally the kind of people that you want to ask, "What's our goal today?" so you can find out if they want something thrifty, or something upscale, then you can give them choices that are their best options, and they can make a simple decision. If someone actually knows their stuff (lens brands, optics, measurements, etc...) keep the conversation at that higher level. People that come in and know the language want you to respect that they know what they are talking about. If you don't talk to them at that level, they will get insulted and be disinterested in dealing with you further.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Man, I hate that thinking.

A prescription is not a sales tool. It's a doctor's order to solve a health problem.

So, my metric is how many people TRUST us enough as to not FRAGMENT their care.

If they come to my office, they bring us their problems, and we serve them with our solutions.

I am not interested in diagnosing problems and leaving the patient to go in search of the solutions.

Thread Information