Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where can I get Tribrid lenses?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Where can I get Tribrid lenses?

I hear alot of good things about them but don't know who/where offers them. I am in the NYC area.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rocwilder36 View Post
    I hear alot of good things about them but don't know who/where offers them. I am in the NYC area.
    My guess is that Hoya wll have them first. Our rep knows nothing yet though.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was told that tribrid was tested at Expert optical and that the customer service manager is actually wearing a pair. From what I was told their lab didn't care for the product and are choosing not to offer the material. Again, this is what a little birdie told me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I haven't heard of Tribrid until now. What exactly is it? I read that it is a take off of trivex but that's about it. What is supposed to be good about it?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    I haven't heard of Tribrid until now. What exactly is it? I read that it is a take off of trivex but that's about it. What is supposed to be good about it?

http://www.ppg.com/en/newsroom/news/...20130316A.aspx

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oksI0uWmjG0

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hmmmm Expert is in my town...

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Tribrid represents a boost in refractive index over trivex (1.60 versus 1.53) while still maintaining a high abbe (41) and the legendary tensile strength attributed to trivex. So it is a little thinner and can maybe steal some 1.60 and 1.67 mid/high index business and maybe sell to people who bought poly over trivex due to lens thickness. Should be great for drill mounts. I am not sure about its specific gravity, but I assume it is also relatively lightweight.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Hmmmm Expert is in my town...
    Didn't the Blues Brothers spend some time in Joliet at the prison?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    why yes they did, and the show prison break...

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    X-Cel will actually be the distributor for them, our rep was in about a month ago to go over them, and showed the standard power point presentation. Last I heard though full release has been pushed back until September. Pending testing we are planning to offer the material.

Stan is pretty much spot on in his overview of the lens. Thinner than Trivex, but with a good Abbe value. Works well for drill mounts. Specific Gravity is 1.23 g/cm3.

Funny though, that power point and the one I received from a fellow optiboarder (that I believe he got directly from PPG) in 2011 were almost the same....
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Hibrid
    lenses were developed by PPG's optical products business using a hybrid approach merging elements of the chemistry for TRIVEX(R) lens material with traditional high-index lens chemistry. The result is a high-index lens that provides the patient with a superior combination of performance benefits, according to Christine Camsuzou, PPG general manager, optical materials.
    Suited to patients with higher prescriptions within the +/-3.00 to +/-7.00 diopters range, Tribrid material features optical clarity (Abbe number 41), lightweight comfort (density 1.23 grams per cubic centimeter), thinness (refractive index 1.60), impact resistance (withstands more than 160 times the energy of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration drop ball test) and protection (100 percent protection from ultraviolet radiation [UV]).

That will make it another ESSILOR novelty --------------->

Charenton-le-Pont, France (January 31, 2013 – 6:30 a.m.) – Essilor is continuing to strengthen its positions in the United States, the world’s leading market for ophthalmic lenses, with the acquisition of a lens manufacturer and a new prescription laboratory.
    The Company has announced the acquisition of an 80% share in
    X-Cel Optical, a manufacturer of ophthalmic lenses based in Minnesota (US). Leveraging its widely recognized, high performance technical expertise, X-Cel Optical offers a wide range of niche products, the vast majority of which are bi- and tri-focal, stock and variable-tint lenses. The line-ups are produced in various materials, including Trivex™. With a refraction index of 1.53 and impact resistance comparable to that of polycarbonate, Trivex™ is enjoying rapid sales growth.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does it seem odd that this apparent improvement over trivex has taken such a long time to become availiable? It's a great idea but the spider sense is tingling because they have been bragging abojut this for a year + and nothing has hit the market. Anyone else suspicious?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is this a laminate lens like the kind that pixel said they were going to release and never did because they got into that AWEFUL empower stuff instead?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    Does it seem odd that this apparent improvement over trivex has taken such a long time to become availiable? It's a great idea but the spider sense is tingling because they have been bragging abojut this for a year + and nothing has hit the market. Anyone else suspicious?
    Like the forthcoming new Transitions Gen 7, Tribrid has been in Europe for almost a year.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Its been around <6 months in the uk but I've not needed it so far

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A lens that's stronger, can be ground thinner and have the same abbe's as hi-index 1.60? I'm all in when it comes out!

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Basically, a 1.6 Trivex? Sounds like a good niche. If availability ramps up, and prices come down, sounds like it could (in next 5 years or so) push poly aside?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Vision Warehouse will have finished Single Vision, limited powers are in stock now I believe. I don't see the point though, Hi-Vex has 46 Abbe in 1.56 at 1.24 spec gravity, and its very inexpensive. MR-7 has a 42 Abbe. Tribred is a little lighter than MR-7, but that is all. Its going to be pricey too. why bother?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tribrid and Trivex are both total garbage! Look at those HORRIBLE Abbe values!! BARF!

Give me Nova-Quatrex any day! ;)

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...l=1#post444449

Actually, I'm still waiting for a 1.90+ material, with an Abbe of 60+, a SG of 0.7, and impact resistance that would repel the Death Star's planet destroying capabilities. I'm sure one of the independent labs out there will answer the call for this much needed lens option. Aaaaaaaaany day now... ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Tribrid is about to come out! Finally!

I spoke with the folks at PPG who own the material and one lab is working with it already with more to come.
    We do 70% drills and we need an alternative to 1.67.

The lenses are in clear and transitions to start.

I hope to be able to tell you in the next 30 days how to get this amazing product.

I saw blanks years ago and soon they will be here.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    The index is approximately the same as Poly? What's the big improvement? It's lighter?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I heard Nexus lab in grove city ohio has it.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper TRIBRID lenses X-Cel Optical and Thai Optical Group participate with PPG

all old hat..........................

PPG announces North American launch of TRIBRID lenses
    X-Cel Optical and Thai Optical Group participate with PPG at Vision Expo East event
    NEW YORK, March 16, 2013 –

PPG Industries (NYSE:PPG), Thai Optical Group and X-Cel Optical Co. announced the North American launch of TRIBRID(TM) lenses today during a news conference at the International Vision Expo East 2013. To introduce the new Tribrid lens technology to North American editors, executives from all three companies presented their perspectives on this innovative product and what it means for patients and practitioners.
    Tribrid lenses were developed by PPG's optical products business using a hybrid approach merging elements of the chemistry for TRIVEX(R) lens material with traditional high-index lens chemistry. The result is a high-index lens that provides the patient with a superior combination of performance benefits, according to Christine Camsuzou, PPG general manager, optical materials. Suited to patients with higher prescriptions within the +/-3.00 to +/-7.00 diopters range, Tribrid material features optical clarity (Abbe number 41), lightweight comfort (density 1.23 grams per cubic centimeter), thinness (refractive index 1.60), impact resistance (withstands more than 160 times the energy of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration drop ball test) and protection (100 percent protection from ultraviolet radiation [UV]).

- See more at: -
    http://www.ppg.com/en/newsroom/news/....qR4wg6B3.dpuf

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not old hat since it was not available thru X-Cel; they never put the product in and probably never will.
    I spoke with PPG yesterday and they have no set distribution model and hopefully I can help them get it going. I am working on a lens project and want to include tribirid.

Keep You Posted!

Thread Information