Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you compete?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think that this is a lot of good advice. You really can't compete on price...so don't advertise that you do. Have something in the Big W price range that you can offer IF you need to keep a patient BUT continue to offer what makes your shop distinctive from Big W. You MUST have enough capital to stay afloat while you are building up your client base. I agree with CCGREEN Big W offers a decent product at a good price, but not everyone wants just a low low price. the trick is staying afloat while you are trying to build the type of patient base that you want. You will be competing against every other optical that wants to only sell medium to high end. Good luck!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we have a kids section with over 50 on it. ranging from Op to juicy... we sell a lot to kids and Annie is right... parents do follow. had it happen this week.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    60.00 complete pair of glasses

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was in Pinedale, Wyoming this last week. I needed new backpacks for my son and I for a trek we are starting tomorrow. I stopped at the "over-priced" sporting goods store in this little town, and was able to talk to a great sales associate. She hikes the Wind River range nearly every weekend in the summer. She grew up backpacking and knew the trails and lakes I knew. But best of all, she knew backpacks. She educated me on backpacks. She sized me, and adjusted me, and told me the tricks of the backpack, and of backpacking in general. She made it a fun experience, and I learned. I could have taken 45 minutes of her time, and then turned around and ordered it all online. But then I wouldn't have been able to sleep well at night. I paid nearly $1k for 2 backpacks, a jet-boil set, and some other cool items. Those items were not worth $1k, but I was happy to fork over the dough because I want that store and that associate to be there next time I need camping gear in Pinedale. Kill 'em with kindness. http://www.greatoutdoorshop.com/

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead Daddy View Post
    ...Those items were not worth $1k, but I was happy to fork over the dough because I want that store and that associate to be there next time I need camping gear in Pinedale...
    To the contrary, it sounds like those items were worth a good deal more - and you got a bargain. The cost of the materials isn't as important as the design, fit, finish and experience both acquiring them as well as utilizing them. They aren't mutually exclusive, and neither are properly sourced, designed, fitted, adjusted, crafted, and delivered eyewear. To say nothing of the back end support you will receive should you ever have a problem with your purchase.

There will always be the sods who try to separate one from the other. Let them leave. They aren't your client in that case. There are plenty of retailers willing to take a shiner on cost, just to make a penny. Then there are those who care about quality and the experience of the purchase - and are willing to pay for it. The internet isn't making less of the latter, but shining a glaring spotlight on the bottom feeding former. B&M shops are truly more relevant than ever before, and there are plenty who understand this. Your job is simply to reinforce this concept to your clientele.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think we are meaning the same thing. The pack is available online for roughly 30% less, but it does not come with the education, adjustments, and support that the Great Outdoor Shop provided. Like the 20/20 hit piece on Luxottica said, eyeglass frames are "just" a couple pieces of plastic, metal, and screws. True, in their elemental description. But the crafting, coloring, fitting, adjusting, measuring, etc. can be worth thousands. That is what we provide: service.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not just Wally, all the chain stores want to suck the bread and butter of SV and FT out of the market. They start with an unrealistic price and throw in every gimmick they can muster. You and I know worlds more about lens technology than they want to, or than the general public. There are still plenty of people who understand the value of an aspheric SV lens in a titanium frame with AR 4 or AR 5 for $500 to $700. You and I know how to put 60 year olds in the correct PAL and make 40 year olds out of them, even if it does cost $700 to $1200. My attitude may seem elitist, but the elite buyers are growing in ranks as the economy rises from the ashes. Why work so hard to be in last place? Give these people tantalizing service, impeccable products and real support. Expect elite compensation or tell them where Proletariat Optical is, and what to expect. Kids glasses in a high quality poly or Trivex with the industrial hard coat are $200. The cheaper ones are cheaper. There is nothing better. jonadonis
    Last edited by jonadonis; 07-30-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I paid nearly $1k for 2 backpacks, a jet-boil set, and some other cool items. Those items were not worth $1k, but...
    this was:

She educated me on backpacks. She sized me, and adjusted me, and told me the tricks of the backpack, and of backpacking in general.

Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do the Ad work for my company and we decided not to compete directly with big box pricing on this one. We took the approach of knowledge and customer service. I constructed a "How to properly purchase eyeglasses for your child" Article / Ad. Our message was to inform parents on proper fit, frame choice, lens materials and I also added a promotional offer our reader could cut out and bring into our store to receive 30% off. (Local paper advertising)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jonadonis View Post
    ... Why work so hard to be in last place?
    1,000 X THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You can't compete, and shouldn't, so don't. Create your own niche instead of trying to steal from someone else's. The simple fact is, you don't really want the customers who are only looking for the cheapest price. Your margins on that level of product are very low, and those patients aren't likely to come back next year; they're likely to just look for the next year's cheapo option. You want to make patients fall in love with your products and service so they come back year after year. Matching the cheap prices doesn't accomplish that.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Cater to parents who love their children.
    Totally! And they want you to compete with their prices! Then they should compete with your service! Back to catering to the parents, you could try a "family sale." Half price on kids glasses with the purchase of complete pair of specs for parent.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper He or she is so good............that he/she can sell Fridgidaires to the Eskimos.....

I strongly believe that being better than the others is one of the biggest assets you can have in sales of any profession, and that includes technical knowdlege as much as being a master in sales psychology and customer service.

It is not the merchandise or models you carry. Your special low pricing is only drawing possible customers to your location, but will not keep them there without being good at sales.

The old saying, " He or she is so good ...................that he/she can sell Fridgidaires to the Eskimos."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    investing in your business - inventory, renovations, window/street presence, equipment, staff - having the right selection at the right price with the right service - simple abc123 can go a long way. If any of these basic elements is lacking, fix it. It seems simple and obvious but I walk around town and find the majority of opticals are lacking in the visual merchandising, signage and general curb appeal part.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    investing in your business - inventory, renovations, window/street presence, equipment, staff - having the right selection at the right price with the right service - simple abc123 can go a long way. If any of these basic elements is lacking, fix it. It seems simple and obvious but I walk around town and find the majority of opticals are lacking in the visual merchandising, signage and general curb appeal part.
    Spot on! Save your advertising money until your place is THE best looking place in town! Why invite the world to a train wreck? When you've got it up to snuff, THEN have the marketing machine cranked up to bring folks in. Don't you fix up/landscape/clean up your home before a big graduation/wedding? Everyday should be a party at your office, with your absolute best face on.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    agreed 100%.
    i get pitched to advertise here and there, and before I spend $1 on a print ad or some other external ad, i walk outside and look at my shop from the outside, then the inside, all the signage, everything. I am always trying to tweak, update and optimize the windows - which is why you pay RENT to be on a street location (assuming you are on the street level...). That is your best ad ever. I still am not spending on ads. Work to be done. and I consider we have some of the better optical windows in town....
    I've experimented with a lot of different things, some work some don't , but it is definitely paying off, sales are up and morale is too.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    I am always trying to tweak, update and optimize the windows - which is why you pay RENT to be on a street location (assuming you are on the street level...). That is your best ad ever. I still am not spending on ads. Work to be done. and I consider we have some of the better optical windows in town....
    I've experimented with a lot of different things, some work some don't , but it is definitely paying off, sales are up and morale is too.
    I completely re-sided our building 3 years ago, in cedar. It looked awesome! Now, even after professional cleaning, it looks like crap! Last night we started another complete overhaul, utilizing river stone on the bottom level, w/shake (vinyl) siding on the top (vinyl is final). I took "before" pictures, and can't believe how bad they look! I'll post the before and afters in the pro forum. Except for the stone, which is special order, it should be complete by Saturday.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb Wear a helmet and lifejacket while you supervise.

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I completely re-sided our building 3 years ago, in cedar. It looked awesome! Now, even after professional cleaning, it looks like crap! Last night we started another complete overhaul, utilizing river stone on the bottom level, w/shake (vinyl) siding on the top (vinyl is final). I took "before" pictures, and can't believe how bad they look! I'll post the before and afters in the pro forum. Except for the stone, which is special order, it should be complete by Saturday.
    Do not climb ladders, scuffling or stairs. Be careful of falling stone as well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wal mart optical does not really have to be a big money maker either... Its more of a side gig if you will.. they make up for small margins with them buying other crap from there...

"I'd never buy milk from my eye Dr....."

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Wal mart optical does not really have to be a big money maker either... Its more of a side gig if you will.. they make up for small margins with them buying other crap from there...

That is funny, I didn't think that National Vision Centers sold milk?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Do not climb ladders, scuffling or stairs. Be careful of falling stone as well.
    No kidding!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post

I tell people that we can't compete with Wal-Mart on some things. I would never open an underwear, ketchup, and toilet paper shop across the street from Wal-Mart. That is why we don't emphasize non-Rx readers, cleaning kits, CL solution, etc. Do a few things well.

BTW, when a patient tells me that we charge too much for eyeglasses, I actively refer them to the Optical manager (by name) at Wal-Mart. I tell them that he is a licensed optician just like me, a great guy, etc. I ask them to mention that I referred them. Amazing how many times they choose to stay with us, and also amazing how many times Wal-Mart refers back to us when a WM patient can't find what they need at the big box.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I tell people that we can't compete with Wal-Mart on some things. I would never open an underwear, ketchup, and toilet paper shop across the street from Wal-Mart. That is why we don't emphasize non-Rx readers, cleaning kits, CL solution, etc. Do a few things well.

BTW, when a patient tells me that we charge too much for eyeglasses, I actively refer them to the Optical manager (by name) at Wal-Mart. I tell them that he is a licensed optician just like me, a great guy, etc. I ask them to mention that I referred them. Amazing how many times they choose to stay with us, and also amazing how many times Wal-Mart refers back to us when a WM patient can't find what they need at the big box.
    +1

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    just from a business standpoint it seems that in order to sell inexpensive eyewear one would also have to sell other non optical products in order to stay afloat. I started a thread on that subject a while back (optical &....). There are some pretty interesting combinations out there.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You can't compete, don't even try. You don't want those patients anyway. All they are looking for is the cheapest deal out there. Quality is NOT an issue, rise above it and cater to those who want quality. Then, unlike them, you can work smarter, not harder!! If you have children yourself, make sure they are in the best stuff possible. My son is autistic and he went to camp in a gorgeous pair of goggles, all the other parents were amazed that his glasses were practically indestructible. I now have 12 appointments on the board because of it. Sometimes folks just don't realize the difference, I mean Wal-Mart sells the same campbells soup, so why wouldn't the glasses be the same. The parents I spoke with didn't have a clue. Good Luck.

Thread Information