Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maui Jim or Oakley?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Maui Jim or Oakley?

I am looking for a new Men's sunglass line to put into my store. I currently have Ray-Ban, Carrera, Nautica, and Suntrends. Suns have to Rx-able. I am considering Maui's or Oakley. Any other suggestions?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nike Suns! We do really well with them here and most of them are Rx-able.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do really well with WILEY X- all safety rated and rugged. I have a pair of plano shield goggles I use when doing yard work, and my son has a cool wrap pair with a blue mirror that looks just like an Oakley that he loves to wear when he is running/ riding his bike. We have quite a few motorcycle/atv/hunter/railroad/paper mill worker type patients up this way, and they really like these frames. Rep is great to work with, and they have a pretty decent rx program, however I edge lenses myself from my own lab, to save money where I can.

I also carry Ray-Bans, SunTrends, Maui-Jims, and a handfull of other random brands from some of our optical collections. Maui-Jims and Oakley, are two totally different client base in my opinion. So you have to figure out if you have more convertable driving beach goers, or a jeep driving rock climbers.
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    MauiJim $$$$
    Oakley $$

Need to do some market research and determine which one will best suit your clientele.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    MauiJim $$$$
    Oakley $$

Need to do some market research and determine which one will best suit your clientele.
    Uh - not so much. Non Rx looks more like this:

MJ $$$
    Oakley $$

vs:
    Rx MJ $$$$$
    Rx Oakley $$$$$

Just remember that Oakley will likely destroy their "custom" and "limited edition" overpriced Luxottica product as they try to put Rx into their wraps. And MJ is likely to be on extended back order and their warranties are getting harder and harder to take reasonable advantage of. Optically, MJ walks ALL OVER Oakley - but anymore, MJ doesn't have nearly the optical advantage they used to when compared against what you can order from numerous labs in almost any frame these days. Kaenon also makes a nice product - but be fully prepared to add another one or two of these: $$ to the above. Their pricing is insane.

OptiBoard Professional Caroline's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just posted this in the other Oakley thread, but Oakley is now a 100 piece buy-in. Suns and men's and women's ophthalmics. As someone else mentioned Nike suns are great, just be aware of the ones that can't be Rx'd.
    Caroline, L.O.

If you suffer from severe nonlinear waterfowl issues, you don't have your ducks in a row.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i have been an Oakley and Maui Jim dealer for 15 years and Oakley is a mess; they kill you on shipping and the product is all on back-order with no real date available. They do have a separate stock of frames for Lux stores that we cannot get. They also just killed the custom program for dealers and now only direct to Oakley via the web to get a special product.
    I have never had a backorder issue with Maui Jim and they ship RX work in 1-2 days; yes that is correct, if you order via computer it may ship the same day.

I have met with the folks who run Maui Jim lab and it is amazing what they do in 48 hours.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    They do have a separate stock of frames for Lux stores that we cannot get. .
    That was reason enough for us to drop them (and the rest of Lux).
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was not going to be a total *T*O*O*L* and repost this magnificent post of mine here.............but I will!

Lets be honest here for a few minutes people.

I know, I know......being honest for most on here is like me giving up ale...AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN.

But...........

If you are surprised by the shenanigans with buying, displaying, reordering, and hopefully selling OAKLY (Maui Jim, Bolle, Costa, Ray Ban, Your Mama, etc)..............you are a clueless business person, an inept "optician", and basically a MORON.

The majority of you DOPES who buy into the the hype and go "ALL IN'', are dead in the water CHUMPS!

Yeah....I said it................CHUMPS!

How does it feel to become the local zip code showroom for your investment? Man....you have made it extremely easy for every deadbeat, hippie, 20-something limp wristed Momma's boy, Kelly Clarkson loving female, 30-ish loser living in your divorced mom's basement, Soccer Mom, wanna be Dad, Bald headed 50-something, KOOL KIDD WANNABEEEEE, time wasting, bottom feeding dreg, to try on and decide which model they like best so that they can buy online at much less than the "MSRP" and "TERMS" that you agreed and signed your life away to!

You have become the local "TRY-& BUY"! CONGRATS!

I admit that there are a very select few, very savvy business people on here who make this hangman's noose work for them and they have my admiration...they really do.

But lets face it, most of you are optical peons with little or no education, ZERO retailing knowledge and even less buying and selling savvy to even have a clue to understand what you don't know and the extreme apathy to change it!

Rock on people.....ROCK ON!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fezz, stop candy coating it and beating around the Busch (beer), tell us what you really think! I "chump" MJ's all day long, but 90% of my sales are Rx's. Let em get that at Costco or the net!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Mr. Fezz,
    That is a bit harsh, but I pretty much agree with your point.
    I think a savvy approach is to select a limited number (like 1 or 2) of these coca cola brands and have a very edited selection, price them very aggressively (well below msrp) and laugh it off. The brands bring people in, and your job is to sell them something else, that they need more.
    this is especially true in plano sun of course, and if you wind up selling a lot of raybans at a lower margin, but larger turnover, that is fine too. JMHO.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do well with Adidas, have just brought in Nike, and Smith has been a bit of a flop. I would never do Oakley because the market is so saturated. Any thoughts on Serengeti?

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Rialeigh View Post
    We do well with Adidas, have just brought in Nike, and Smith has been a bit of a flop. I would never do Oakley because the market is so saturated. Any thoughts on Serengeti?

Carried Serengeti for years. Don't carry them anymore. Personally like the product. RX program is good but quite limited. Available at Cosco's and Superstores in these parts at greatly reduced prices. They also sell them from their website so I'd check there and compare the prices being charged directly through them compared to what they're charging you and figure out if you'd be ok with matching those prices.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    What about Carrerra's stuff? Some of them X-cite lenses (or whatever) are good...

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Has anyone tried 7eye? Initially, they marketed exclusively to dry eye clients, but now they look edgier, and are marketing to bikers as well. Glancing through their material, I did notice a $20 "handling fee" on all orders...not sure what that's about, but the frames look decent.

Anyone?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Has anyone tried 7eye? Initially, they marketed exclusively to dry eye clients, but now they look edgier, and are marketing to bikers as well. Glancing through their material, I did notice a $20 "handling fee" on all orders...not sure what that's about, but the frames look decent.

Anyone?

I believe that the owner of that company is a member and has posted before*. I have not used them but have considered it.

*http://www.optiboard.com/forums/memb...8889-bob66hall

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I believe that the owner of that company is a member and has posted before*. I have not used them but have considered it.

*http://www.optiboard.com/forums/memb...8889-bob66hall
    Yes, he did, and I spoke to him a number of times. I hadn't heard anything from them in quite some time. It doesn't sound like anyone (here on Optiboard) has tried them yet.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Yes, he did, and I spoke to him a number of times. I hadn't heard anything from them in quite some time. It doesn't sound like anyone (here on Optiboard) has tried them yet.
    We carried them about 4 years ago. They were ok but there were limited style choices and rep issues. One thing to totally be cautious of is the backside anti-fog which works really well however if you're in the practice of writing the frame price on the back of the lenses: DO NOT DO THIS! That anti-fog coating sucks up ink and it can't be removed.

OptiBoardaholic kentmitchell1961's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have oakleys and maui's the mauis are a hell of a lot better and I don't look like a tool. I also find that the MJ's are cheaper (once you add the mirror and ar to the oakleys) so are a better bargain, oh and they will actually make them quickly and get them too you....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Rialeigh View Post
    I stopped using Serengeti when they left Sarasota and moved to Kansas. They were great sunglasses....15 years ago...
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManFla View Post
    I stopped using Serengeti when they left Sarasota and moved to Kansas. They were great sunglasses....15 years ago...
    Agreed. Since they ditched Corning optics lenses (as I was told) their old level of quality did a lawn dart into the ground. Same with the beloved old Rēvo line as well. Complete shame too - not only were they independent lines, they were literally orders of magnitude above and beyond anything else that was available at the time.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oakley doesn't want your business and its best their LUX crap can be bought online cheap.

Check out reptile sun

OptiBoard Apprentice lightbender27's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    yes Criag, imo MJ is the only way to go, no one does optics better in suns than Maui.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have both. And IMHO, both are good, but for different markets. For my money, in Plano form, Oakley frames have it all over MJ (exceptions aside). Maui has ia different offering than Oakley in polarized lenses. Oakley has no polarized .....not a bad thing,

For me, deserted island, I'd like to have each.

b

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Which one is Ginger and which one is MaryAnn?

(You would definitely be "the professor".)

Thread Information