Thread: I want YOUR most life-altering experience!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I want YOUR most life-altering experience!

OK. So I'm really inspired by Johns "Ecstatic to be alive" post with Craigs story as well. I think everyone has a story to be shared. Good, bad, inspiring, WHATEVER. If you think about your life-to-date, what is your most pivotal life story?????

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Waaaaay back in the fall of 1996, I started my Freshman year at Western Connecticut State University, in Danbury, CT. I majored in Communications and Theatre Arts. My plan was to get on the college radio station, learn everything I could, and join the theatre dept to fine tune my acting chops. My ultimate goal was to get a job in radio to pay the bills, and work my way up the acting ranks until I was more famous than Amos and his cookies.

So, normally the college radio station was only for enrolled college students. However, you could become a 'Life Member' of said station, and get air-time for the rest of your life. Such was the case with a mid 50 year old woman, with the on-air personality; 'Cat Woman'. She even came to the station dressed up in a full body black pleather outfit with cat ears and a tail. Somehow I got on her bad side, (and to this day I have no clue how, but I guess you can't question the motives of middle aged woman dressed up like a cat.) and she came out of the booth cursing me and asked my name and forbade me from ever coming anywhere near her or the station ever again. Flabbergasted, I went to the college station director and he pretty much told me, 'sucks to be you'.

The theatre department was run by an aging actor who had studied with Dustin Hoffman, Robert Deniro (or so he claimed) and was full of local kids who grew up doing plays together. I was quickly ousted from any improv groups, after school rehearsals, and clinics because I was an outsider, who just wanted to learn. I went to the Director who pretty much told me all actors are babies looking for acceptance, and I should make my own career without them.

During these disasterous few weeks, I had tried out for a part in an independant movie, and ended up getting the part! I played 'Tripster' in the film; "Pink Pumpkins at Dawn". You can rent the dvd from Netflix. My name is on IMDB.

Due to the drama at school, I ended up dropping out that following spring, and getting a job at Pearle Vision, where I met my first wife, had some kids, and the rest is history.

I still have some of my B&W Headshots if anyone wants an autographed copy!
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The day I met Mickey Mantle and received a personalized signed baseball from him. would see him at shows after that, and of course started collecting, and now own one of the largest mantle collections in the US, and in fact the largest collection of mantle advertisements which you can now see on my ever growing website., I still have about a thousand more items to put on. you can visit the web at www.mickeymantle7.net while your there listen to some of the old time tapes(originals) that I also put on there, especially Bob Shepard introducing mantle.

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A long story to tell................but mine would be May 1st 2011. I died/was dead for 2:00 min,while on a medflight from one hospital to another.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    A long story to tell................but mine would be May 1st 2011. I died/was dead for 2:00 min,while on a medflight from one hospital to another.
    Wow! What do you remember (if anything) of it?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was a Combat medic for 4 years in the Army. dont want to get into details, but yea. after my time was up i went an opposite route to retail then optical. what has been seen cannot be unseen if you catch my drift. at least i still help people!

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Wow! What do you remember (if anything) of it?
    Alot,unfortunately. Still find it hard to believe that it was caused by a perscription medication that i was severly allergic to.But in short it gave me a heart attack at age 44. It killed me....then left me in a coma for two weeks. Spent over two months in the hospital.

Thread Information