Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which new edger should I get for our ~new practice? Essilor or Santinelli

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Not true on the ME1200. I can run it and have no experience or desire, but can get anything done perfectly if my lab guy is out.
    The machines should not need a skilled master to run every job, only the unique items that require experience and more time.
    Agree! But easy jobs you can also run on any new entry level edger.
    And in order to run complicated jobs on the best edger you still need an experienced operator.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    And in order to run complicated jobs on the best edger you still need an experienced operator.
    Every job is easy on my machine. I would just run more test lenses than my lab guy and it will take me longer, but I can get any 8 base done or drill-mount myself. That cannot be done on most machines and that comprises over 80% of what we sell so it is important that I can do it if necesssary.
    Once you run a machine like the ME1200 you learn that you can do things that where not posssible before and it is as easy as a zyl frame.

This is also the services that can differentiate you and your practice while making money.

Don't ask what it costs, but what can we do with it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So this way you would not do more then 2 jobs an hour on ME!?!?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    I absolutely agree with you LENNY, even though you know how to use the machine, on complicated jobs, an experienced machine user will have the advantage. And BRIOT, makes me do that! Never again. Santinelli all the way. Although I had a Topconn I liked one time.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are looking for a new edger that does not do drilling, hands down the topcon is a reliable workhorse that gets the job done. Very simple interface and super fast. Alan at optek is now the distributor for topcon in the US.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    EzFit edger brings milling technology within reach of all labs to increase edging productivity, flexibility, fast, accurate edging of not only simple but also complex edge types. with the ability to process jobs that require straight bevels, inclined bevels, rimless lenses with drill holes, grooves, and polishing, in addition to step back edges and is easy to use.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Yousuf View Post
    EzFit edger brings milling technology within reach of all labs to increase edging productivity, flexibility, fast, accurate edging of not only simple but also complex edge types. with the ability to process jobs that require straight bevels, inclined bevels, rimless lenses with drill holes, grooves, and polishing, in addition to step back edges and is easy to use.

Now I see where Optek got the idea from for their new edger.

Occupation
    You want the best value for your money? WECO E3 will process all materials, grooves, awesome polish and it drills. Very small footprint and did I mention it drills too! Price would be equivalent to entry level Santinelli.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'd say the Santinelli Refurb. I bought one used that was a refurb model from VSI and since 2009 I have only had the fuses go and SFB bevel go out on it. I would not be too worried about a refurb model from VSI going out on you.....

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Im with David G on this. I have a Satinelli 7070 from VSI that Ive had since June 2007 and its still going strong with only a few problems over the years. VSI offers lifetime phone support and can usually walk you thru any problems. I do wish I had bought an edger that grooves, the 7070 does not. As for Drilling...I send it out. We dont do that many to bother.
    Good Luck!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by partyoptician View Post
    Im with David G on this. I have a Satinelli 7070 from VSI that Ive had since June 2007 and its still going strong with only a few problems over the years. VSI offers lifetime phone support and can usually walk you thru any problems. I do wish I had bought an edger that grooves, the 7070 does not. As for Drilling...I send it out. We dont do that many to bother.
    Good Luck!!
    Just Buy an Auto Groover on EBay for about $150.00. That SFB arm tends to seize up on the 9000 series anyhow....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hate to post on edger recommendations here because I have so many friends that rep for different companies. Saying that, it depends what you want to do and/or what you'd like to do. If I were looking at getting into basic edging, minimal cost, VSI referb 7070. I have one we got from them about 12 years ago. Only one hiccup, in around '09 I was edging a -18 and the belt jumped on the spindle. Off axis about 30 degrees. Leo at VSI walked me thru the repair on the phone. He even knew how to fine tune the axis that the manual didn't even have (as accurate). This was all after about 8 years of ownership. We still use this edger on a daily basis for backup/overage of work at one of my locations.

For new entry, but want modern capability at a lower cost I'd look at WECO from AIT. Cost effective units that will do most Rx's/frame combo's. If noise is an issue, when at VEW last year they were the quietest I tested. They have great customer service and have a solid product.

If you are looking for top of the line, do over the top customizable production a Satinelli ICE 1000 blocker coupled with an ME 1200 is hard to beat. From stone inlay, facets, crazy shape making/modifications, it can't be beat. ( If you think there isn't a market for these, some of your clients are looking elsewhere. We do all these types of customizations weekly). Chem Clip System is a big plus too. We bought our edger, but if we were leasing it we'd make more than enough to cover the cost of leasing because of it.

As an old time Optician I hate the "idiot" features of the Ice 1000 blocker. ( OC locator, axis adjustment, cut out feature, ect, my 6 year old grandson could run it.) You don't have to think too much. It pretty much takes out a lot of common errors a novice may make. But the shape mods you can make are awesome.

So again, it depends on your needs or desires which edgers would work best for your needs.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Look into optronics 6E and 7E as well

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We started edging about 6 months ago and we went with a Briot Alta system. A lot less in cost than Santinelli and it does everything. It's really easy to use and yes, go for the drilling. Those are spendy to send out! Good Luck!

Thread Information