Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which new edger should I get for our ~new practice? Essilor or Santinelli

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Which new edger should I get for our ~new practice? Essilor or Santinelli

Our practice is ~8 months old and we are at the point where it makes sense to add edging (lab bills just north of 4K).

I've been reading the forum here and a lot of people recommend old used Santinelli's (7070 and 9000 in particular).

Option A (Santinelli 9000):
    If they've been refurbished, a 9000 is somewhere ~15-16K. They are very highly regarded, but haven't been made for over 10 years... I'm worried how long they would last.

Option B (Essilor Triplets: Jess, Tess, and Bess):
    For just a grand or two more, I can get brand new entry level from Essilor. Maybe be more expensive to fix... but probably won't break for 5 years or so as it is brand new.

Option C (Santinelli LE1000):
    The sales rep says they are the most expensive company, but that's because they are the best. Their entry level system is ~8K more than Essilor's... seems to do about the same amount of stuff... it might have better quality? might last longer? It will cost more to fix according to the Essilor rep.

I my situation, any thoughts on what makes the most sense?

Thanks in advance!!
    T.J.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Santinelli

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Santinelli
    Thanks for the quick reply... the used refurbished one? Or the new one for 8K more?
    And why? Does it create a better finished lens than the essilor? Does it not break as often?
    Have you had experiences with Essilor Triplets? Or do you just know that Santinelli works?

Thanks again!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    New.
    Pay attention to drills!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thanks for the reply... none of the 3 options have drills... we were planning on sending any drill work to the lab. Do you think this is a mistake and we need a drill?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    New.
    Pay attention to drills!
    Ditto. I loved my LE9000 to death, however the new machines with the drilling are absolutely amazing.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by tandyjames View Post
    Thanks for the reply... none of the 3 options have drills... we were planning on sending any drill work to the lab. Do you think this is a mistake and we need a drill?
    Not necessarily, that's what I did for a long time. I would suggest the LE series from Santinelli then. If your planning on doing a lot of drilling though (2-3 a day) then get a machine suited to do so. But I think for a 8 month old practice it would be ok to buy an LE9000 or LE1000 and send out drill mounts.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we have and use a 9000... thing is a tank. we dont really sell drill around here... think we are down to one or two out of 1000 frames.

keep in mind if you buy used santinelli, they wont come and fix it. I can fix this one if it goes down, but there is a member on here i saw that fixes and refurbs nideks.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would say VSI "if" you have a good lab that artfully drills work for you at a price that makes sense and you can handle the drill/polish fees. They are amazing edgers, and "cheap" to fix if you dare. Otherwise invest in the high end me or excelon. Thats my opinion, but after years on spartans and old kappas i love the jewelry my VSI 9000 spits out everytime.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why buy anything but the best? Santinelli is the least expensive in the end and you should do drill work. It is easy with right equipment.

Craig

We do 70% drill mounts

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wish there was an honest thread like this where we could break the numbers down on another forum. I want the best but the $$$. If it means sacrificing quality of lens for the patients and customers because my edger/blockingsystem/service plan costs are killing me I won't do it.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How experienced are you, or whoever the lab tech will be with any of these systems? How mechanically inclined are they?

For the best bang for your buck, take a look at the experience level, the product mix (not only lens mats, but mounting types) and daily productivity needs. What is your growth trends? Ideally, it would be best for you to take a look at the systems, and try each one of them for several jobs before making a decision. What seems like cake to one, might not be great for another.

If you have someone experienced with edging, and comfortable working on machines, there are some great deals out there on used equipment. Not necessarily refurbished, but used.

I have been able to get machines for half the price of a refurb that only needed a bit of TLC. By that, a good cleaning, wheels dressed, and bit of lubricant.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We got a Lex1000 last year and added a drill a few months ago. Its great. Easy to use and maintain. Dont sacrifice!! You will regret it. My drill work is better than any lab we have used other than Italee. I have only edged just over a year. Plus the resell is very good. I really feel since they can be the lifeblood of your profit, service that this is one piece you dont want to skimp on.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LE 1000 here and have been very happy with about 3 years grinding. Majority of drill jobs by hand with dremel and small clamps with the exception of premium pals.

NO BRIOT

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If your practice is all about selling and delivering the best, then it's simple:

You should use the best.

Santinelli. Period.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are going to VEW, get a hold of me and I'll show you what their machines can do at the Santinelli booth. Bring your toughest jobs.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Barry, the machine is only as good as the person working on it!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't disagree! But you have to have the CAPABILITY in order to use it.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not true on the ME1200. I can run it and have no experience or desire, but can get anything done perfectly if my lab guy is out.
    The machines should not need a skilled master to run every job, only the unique items that require experience and more time.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Going new vs used means you are less likely to have parts discontinued when you need them. Been told by the Briot repair guy that he can't get certain parts for my 12 year old machine.

Harry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Santinelli. We opened 17 months ago with a finish lab in place, a refurb 7070 from VSI. We send our drill and wraps out for the most part. We can do some 8 bases in house depending on how they're surfaced and how much we can move the bevel. We do a few drills with a dremel. I've used machines from Briot, old Essilor stuff and a Santinelli ME 1000 with drill a few years ago, and would never use anything else but a Santinelli. When we upgrade and include a drill it will be a Santinelli.

Occupation
    I used to review optical equip for a trade rag and have worked on briot, essilor, santinelli, and weco. Hands down best is santinelli, the absolute worst in class is a Mr Blue I work on one know if you can call it work. Slowest cycle times, trivex setting doesn't have wrap bevel feature or mill past a 6mm lens thickness. The machine and software is so locked down that often I question who owns who.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by tandyjames View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply... the used refurbished one? Or the new one for 8K more?
    And why? Does it create a better finished lens than the essilor? Does it not break as often?
    Have you had experiences with Essilor Triplets? Or do you just know that Santinelli works?

Thanks again!
    Quality of finished product. Also, not big E is always better. If I were ready to get another, I'd at least talk to Vision Systems.
    Have used the Essilors (not triplets). Have used the Santinelli. I looked at others, Brio and NO, The salesman doing the Brio demo at a show could not get it to function properly. Maybe just Murf's law for him. The 7E just the same unreliable parts as Horizon III in a different box, wet, dry cut edger mud maker.

Occupation
    If a fellow can produce masterpieces on a Weco 461, just imagine what he can do with a Santenilli!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    what about MEi 641 Or new EZ Fit from MEI, you can do even most difficult jobs on it.

Thread Information