Thread: Good News in Opticianry Education

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Good News in Opticianry Education

Hello Everyone,

We are now up running our Fall semester, and our enrollment has jumped through the roof!

We have 52 new first year students and 30 continuing second year students! This has exceeded our expectations and we are thrilled.

I am hearing from other NFOS schools around the country that their enrollment is up also.

Part of this increase is due to a slip in the economy, however, a larger part is due to accessiblity. Our distance learning sections are what put us over the top.

In an era where opticianry education has experienced rough times, I thought a bit of good news would be nice to share.

: )

Laurie

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That is great to hear Laurie! We have some other opticianry school instructors on the board. Are you experiencing this influx as well?
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    in your opinion which is the best distance learning program? i work in a state where it is not mandatory to be aboc (and i have not found the salary to be any better if you are). the doctor that owns the practice has decided she wants all her opticians to become cerified and i'm the only one who is. any ideas as to where to steer my co workers?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Great Job, Laurie!

Your program's growth and development is a testament to the level of activity displayed by both you and Bill! Keep the ball rolling, we need good people like you to lead us into the future.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I went through the one at Hillsborough (Tampa, FL) and found that it was very good, I still have to get an elective out of the way to get the degree (yes Laurie I'm still working at it).
    Bill and Laurie was very easy to work with and was understanding and worked with everyone.. they understood at times since the majority of us were working full time in optics we had schedule clashes at times but they were willing to work around it...I thought highly enough I have sent a few people over that signed up :-) and have no problem telling people about the program...
    It covered pretty well just about everything INCLUDING refractometry.. I found the tapes were informative and explained it fairly well, it was just like you were in the class sitting down front and the work is done through the web site, even had a phoropter set up on the site to you could play with to get used to all the dials :-)
    I have not worked with any other schools but I know that Laurie and Bill's program works, a lot of it was review stuff for me but I did and could tell the difference in the people I worked with that were taking the program as well, It sure was easier to explain things when problems arose as well as I seen that the sales from these guys moving upward, as the got to understand the theoretical optics behind the dispensing the were able to answer questions with confidence and selling things like UV, AR coats, polarized etc., etc. become more than just making a "bigger" sale to knowing what they meant and did exactly both theoretically as well as physically.

Check out the program.. well worth the money I spent, I know I had my ABO and let it go years ago and went and retook it, I know that I did not score a 98 the first time around :-)

Jeff

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Why thank you, gentlemen

Thank you, Warren: BTW, I showed your tape today from when you guest lectured here on CRT ...the students found it just as fascinating the second time around!

And, thank you, Jeff: A 98! Great! Your good words and referrals have helped us alot! Thank you!

: )

Laurie

Bad address email on file

Distance Education

Sparky, it would be self- serving to say I can offer you the best distance education opticianry program, but I can point you to one of the most established.

I would suggest you check out: www.nait.ab.ca/optical

NAIT Ophthalmic Dispensing Programs have been the standard in Canada for years. All the programs and courses offered are distance delivery: Eyeglasses, Contact Lenses, Sight Testing, Ophthalmic Assistant.

The Ophthalmic Assistant course is a 6 month home study that runs quarterly, starting again in November. It is ideal for those who are just entering the industry and would like a great overview of how it works.

The core programs are the Eyeglasses and Contact Lens programs. These are two years each, with a September start date. Upon completion of each of these programs, you would be entitled to challenge the National Licensing exams for Canada.

I hope this opens some opportunities for your staff.

Sincerely,

Ian MacIvor
    Program Head
    NAIT Optical Programs

Bad address email on file

update on any more good news like this?

Hello. I am interested in hearing about any updates in the area of good news on the subject of optician education. Even though the posts in this thread are from last year, it was exciting to read that not all news is bad news. If anyone out there has info to share about other optical schools opening up or success stories with your distance education program, please share it! Thanks. Mike.

Thread Information