Thread: Rumor: Eyemed to push online in Oklahoma?

Bad address email on file DC Optix's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unhappy Rumor: Eyemed to push online in Oklahoma?

I heard from a frame rep the other day that Eyemed is rolling out a pilot program in OK where they are promoting online as the primary provider option, with all the usual Eyemed providers as secondary.

Any OK'ans out there that can speak on this?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yay all Mega insurance! Go on...just keep thinkin' you have nothing special to offer other than being a participator.

B

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    As more insurance companies do this, it will signal to the public that it is OK to buy eyewear online. It will further lessen the public's appreciation of the benefits of eyewear dispensed in person. "If xyz insurance does it online, then it must be OK." But then again maybe not.
    Last edited by Stan Tabor; 07-11-2013 at 08:50 PM.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Probably just further trying to be like VSP. Remember Eyeconic?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by DC Optix View Post

I heard from a frame rep the other day that Eyemed is rolling out a pilot program in OK where they are promoting online as the primary provider option, with all the usual Eyemed providers as secondary.

Rumors are the fore runners of what could become facts. Are you ready to deal with such a fact if it would or will happen ?

It has to happen that insurances eventually will accept and promote on-line glasses because of the price differences and their own pockets. Are you prepared for this moment with an action plan ?

On-line glasses have been ordered and made at a long distance without physical contact with the buyer. Similar to when you order from the lab you deal with. It has to be checked, some problems solved and finally adjusted on the face, maybe only once and sometimes more than that.
    You will have to put a policy in place, to charge for these services according to expirience and knowdledge. An expirienced opticians hand on work, should at least be equivalent to charges of other professionals.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Eyemed = Luxottica, who is in love with Essilor = FramesDirect.

So now we will have the absurdity of an employee getting a deduction out of their paycheck for cheap online optical stuff.

Why not just give them a subscription to "Dollar saver" or the Sunday paper?

Why don't the employees spend the $8.99 and go to Zenni?

Where's the value in this?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Eyemed = Luxottica, who is in love with Essilor = FramesDirect.

So now we will have the absurdity of an employee getting a deduction out of their paycheck for cheap online optical stuff.

Why not just give them a subscription to "Dollar saver" or the Sunday paper?

Why don't the employees spend the $8.99 and go to Zenni?

Where's the value in this?
    Yea! But it sounds so good when you get hired! Full family eyeglass benefits!

(administered by ZENNY)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe, finally, this will make ECP's wake up and stop accepting optical insurance plans......Naw, you'll still take them and complain about your shrinking margins!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only time I do anything with insurance is Medicare. They only help once per lifetime per eye after cataract surgery and only one frame. Even then it can take me six or eight months to get all our money from Medicare and any secondary insurance. It would be much more easy for me to just write off the 20% that I try to get from any secondary as a business expense at the end of the year.
    Other then that we do NOTHING with any "Vision Plans" Now if they have a "Vision Discount" plan I can extend to them the discount if I chose to do so.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Maybe, finally, this will make ECP's wake up and stop accepting optical insurance plans......Naw, you'll still take them and complain about your shrinking margins!
    Isn't this the truth.

How about this in the future: Insurance companies mandating PDs be provided with a covered exam to enable purchase online. Unless of course you shop in a retailer owned by the insurance companies in which case you can still buy in person.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Yay all Mega insurance! Go on...just keep thinkin' you have nothing special to offer other than being a participator.

B

I won't be thinking that, because I don't participate with EyeMed, VSP, or any other insurance plans, for the most part. We're about 80% self-pay, with the other 20% being Medicare.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Tabor View Post
    As more insurance companies do this, it will signal to the public that it is OK to buy eyewear online. It will further lessen the public's appreciation of the benefits of eyewear dispensed in person. "If xyz insurance does it online, then it must be OK." But then again maybe not.
    This is precisely what I'm worried about...not so much how the insurance is going to affect me (because I don't accept it), but more how it has the potential to further sway public opinion toward acceptance of online eyewear as a viable option. If this were to go nation-wide, it could punch us all in the face (and the wallet) because of the potential change in perception.

Thread Information