Thread: Coa

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Coa

So I have been playing around with the idea of becoming a c.o.a , not that I am looking to change jobs or anything but I feel that just by studying it I might better understand what the techs and Dr's I work with are talking about and I always like expanding my horizon and making myself better. But where to start? Is becoming a certified ophthalmic assistant something I can study for or do I need on the job training for?

I know I should just ask the techs I work with but they are always so busy and I don't want my employer to know I am interested.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Look at http://www.opsweb.org/, I had a lot of fun behind the camera with the technical and personal aspects of it. Learned a LOT and I didn't find it as routine as the tech work. Really helped me to visualize how a persons vision is affected by specific pathology.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Talk to Harry Chilinguerian. He had/has the COA certification, is very smart, and tends to retain information both in his head and digitally.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Check out the JCAHPO website there are 3 ways to become eligible for the exam, in most cases you have to work under an OMD for 1 year. I took The COA many years ago and the test content has changed since I took it- but for the most part if you study well the test is not to bad. Having doing the job certainly helps though. I am currently a COT and hopefully a COMT in the future (I will finally be eligible next year). Good luck, and kudos for wanting to understand your chosen career better!

Bad address email on file ldyflsh's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I started out as a COA before getting my Optician's license. I found it gave me the ability to trouble shoot medical vs glasses problems. It was a BIG plus on my resumes.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm thinking along the same lines myself at the moment. My docs, though are ODs and not OMDs. Trying to figure out if I can still get it done.

Bad address email on file sharonm516's Avatar
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I am a COT (Certified Ophthalmic Technician) with my ABO. You need to be sponsored by an ophthalmologist to sit for the exam. Good Luck!

Thread Information