Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Progressive Lens History

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    For your consideration please read pg 716 of the Journal of the Franklin Institute, the Gowlland Mutlifocal, dated 1917.

http://books.google.com/books?id=-uE...ifocal&f=false

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Here is the transcript, from 1917:

Journal of the Franklin Institute, Vol. 184, Permagon Press, 1917 , pg 716
    The Gowlland Multifocal Spectacle Lens. H. O. Gowlland. (Gowlland Optical Company, Limited, Montreal, Canada.) — Bifocal spectacle lenses for near and distant vision have been known and used since the time of Franklin, and within recent years, particularly since the introduction of " invisible " bifocals, their use has become widespread. Although these lenses obviate the need of two pairs of glasses, the wearer often experiences the discomfort of the "blind zone," or an area within which the distance part of the lens is of too long focus and the near part of too short focus for satisfactory vision. If this blind zone is to be eliminated, a compromise must be made in the powers of the two lenses and the user must be content with less than the maximum possible clearness of vision. A lens of continuously varying curvature within the required limits would evidently provide the necessary conditions for distinct vision at all distances. Such a lens, not having a spherical surface, entails a departure from the usual methods employed in the production of spectacle lenses. The Multifocal lens embodies this continuous variation of focal length, the difficulties incident to a departure from a truly spherical surface having been successfully overcome. In the manufacture of these lenses the usual system of working has been reversed. The master tool first grinds the curve to a certain degree of fineness, and after that the lens surface itself controls the smoothing and polishing, the surface retaining its ground curve. The finished lens is a clear piece of glass with constantly changing curvature, whose rate of change is governed by the extreme values of the curvature. While the line of contact between the distance and near parts in the so-called invisible bifocals is quite discernible, the Multifocal lens is free from this characteristic. It is undoubtedly true that the field of view at any given focal value is theoretically limited to points equally distant from the vertex of the curve, but practically, with the relatively small curvatures of spectacle lenses, vision is clear over a considerable zone and an adequate field of view is obtained. The user is thus provided with a lens that responds to the varying requirements of close work and is free from the disconcerting visual jar of an accidental use of the wrong power of the bifocal lens when moving about in an uncertain light.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I have also fount a Gowlland Optical Advertisement that appeared at least 4 times, during 1920 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gowlland Advert.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	10104
    Its not until your combine this with the patent of 1909, the article from 1917, and the advertisement that this is the oldest known ad for what later became called a Progressive.
    Last edited by sharpstick777; 08-12-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick
    I have also fount a Gowlland Optical Advertisement that appeared at least 4 times, during 1920
    Very nice.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Last edited by Darryl Meister; 08-12-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    RE: Dr. Estelle Glancy
    I have not had any progress locating the family of Dr. Estelle Glancy. She was born and died in Waltham Mass, and lived with her brother Walter according to her Obituary.
    I could find no record of marriage so I am assuming she never did. Since it appears lived with her brother (at least at her death) who did have family, I am assuming any personal affects or notes may have gone to Walter or his children. Walter's last known address was turned into a shopping center though. I have not had any fortune locating any new information, but I will keep looking. I am hoping to find letters, notebooks, journals, etc.

Strangely, Dr. Glancy was at UC Berkeley the same time as MY Great Grandmother, who became a Professor of Shakespearean Literature (and later returned to teach at Fresno State). Weird. I also had a Great Aunt who lived Berkeley at that time.

Since Dr. Glancy was a significant figure in Waltham history, I have asked their historical society for help. They will let me know soon I hope.

RE: Henry Gowlland, George Gowlland

I have only located 2 of Henry Gowlland's grandchildren in Canada, (he had 7 children, born in the US, Canada and England)... But have not had a response back yet. Henry's son George built the Multifocal manufacturing plant at an unknown date (his daughter Glady's mentions selling the facility in 1941 that George built ito make the Mutlifocal, at Henry's direction). George's children lived in Canada, in BC. His sister Gladys was unmarried and had no children.

Americal Optical:
    I am having lunch tomorrow with Paul Coletti, who built American Optical's first facility to manufacture Progressives in the 1960's. He lives only 9 blocks away from me. Paul is 75 and still works doing practice valuations. I will get what info, anecdotes and recollections I can. I should be very valuable.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I am also trying to locate a full copy of this book:

Looking Back: An Illustrated History of the American Ophthalmic Industry ~ by Joseph Bruneni Optical Laboratories Association, 11/1994

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I am also trying to locate a full copy of this book: Looking Back: An Illustrated History of the American Ophthalmic Industry
    Great book. My copy was has a nice inscription from Joe in it, so I won't be parting with mine anytime soon, but you could probably find a used copy on Amazon.com, Alibris.com, Abebooks.com, or eBay.com.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    RE: Fuller of Ipswich, I found this in an obscure optical technical book from 1919, with a short but detailed optical history:

Scientific Tests of Colored Glass for Optical Purposes: By E. E. Shreiner, 1919

"1827. CYLINDER LENSES. - Prof. Geo. B. Airy the director of the Greenwich Observatory had a Mr. Fuller, an Optician of Ipswich, make a pair of sphero-cylinder lenses to correct his astigmatism.
    Note: This Mr. Fuller was no doubt James Fuller, who kept and optical store near the old butter market, a few doors from Upper Brook Street, Ipswich, and later lived at No. 4. Leicester Place, London."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Alibris is the only one with copies, but its expensive at a $98, but I will buy it if I don't find another. But thanks for letting me know its a great book. I wouldn't buy it unless I knew it was solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    Great book. My copy was has a nice inscription from Joe in it, so I won't be parting with mine anytime soon, but you could probably find a used copy on Amazon.com, Alibris.com, Abebooks.com, or eBay.com.

Best regards,
    Darryl

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Also, met with Paul Caletti yesterday, started at AO in the 1950's... and was West Coast Regional Lab Manager in the 1960's when AO first began making Progressives, and he opened that lab. He became Director of all the laboratories at some point... and lives only a few blocks from me.

He said it took 23 years to design the Tillyer Masterpiece Lenses, and even though Tillyer wasn't in charge personally, his data and theories were used extensively...
    AO labs were required to buy AO branded edging and surfacing equipment, which was their deaths. AO optical equipment was very slow, so labor was very high, and since each lab had to prove individual profitability it killed their lab business eventually.
    AO was in trouble by the mid 1960's because they were not updating their equipment, had poor middle management, and were very resistant to change. There were frequent changes in VP's, who knew nothing about the industry, and each would make disastrous changes.
    The biggest problems with the first plastic progressives was cooling, they were more sensitive to heat of surfacing. They had to build special chillers with higher water flow to keep the temperature below 78 degrees. Over 78 and the blanks would start to warp. San Francisco was chosen as the first plant site because of the cooling issues.
    AO was surfacing glass down to a 1.0 Center Thickness in the late 1960's, as a marketing push, but they didn't calculate that breakages would sky rocket. They lost a lot of money.
    AO first started surfacing backside cyl in 1959 on FT-22 bifocals, by hand, using sag gauges to calculate the power. but it was not until after the Tillyer Masterpiece lens came out that backside minus cyl became the standard at AO.
    He had no idea that Dr. Glancy (he never met her, but knew the name) designed a Progressive for AO in 1924.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    AO labs were required to buy AO branded edging and surfacing equipment, which was their deaths. AO optical equipment was very slow, so labor was very high, and since each lab had to prove individual profitability it killed their lab business eventually.
    Both of those requirements were actually the result of direct intervention by the government under federal anti-trust policy, including the 1966 ruling that ultimately ended AO's lab business as well as B&L's.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Very nice and interesting thread.

When it gets into the 1950s and 1960s with Essilors introduction and entry to the North American continent I can participate with some stories too, as I was part of it after doing the feasability study for them in 1963.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

When it gets into the 1950s and 1960s with Essilors introduction and entry to the North American continent I can participate with some stories too, as I was part of it after doing the feasability study for them in 1963.
    That is very cool Chris, Thanks! You can participate any time though, no need to wait. Discoveries will jump around a bit anyway, we have already jumped some with Darry's great insights and knowledge, and it allow people to build on those bases with what they know. just like Darryl already has added to Paul Caletti's stories. The sooner its out the more people can add their own. We can be in the 1950's and 1960's anytime you are ready to share!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Update:
    My friends in England have been able to verifiy there was an Optician named John Fuller, who practiced in Ipswich right before Airy needed cylinder lenses.

Gowlland: We have located Henry's obituary, where interesting information has been revealed. He worked for James W. Queen and Company, in Philadelphia between 1900-1910. The Queen Co. made a lot of things, but they among many things made microscopes, ophthalmascopes, and regular ophthalmic lenses, all Henry's expertise. Henry was in Philadelphia when he filed his patent in 1909, and left Queen shortly afterword, and moved to Montreal, CA.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

Chris, would still love to hear your stories. First hand accounts are rare, and so valuable. ? Please do share when you get a chance.

Thread Information