Thread: Holy movie prices batman ...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Holy movie prices batman ...

http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/woul...-some-fans-did

George Lucas apparently thinks that movie prices are going to go up to $100 + dollars???!!! no freaking thank you.

$50 for the entire WWZ package i can understand, but you get a lot out of it. no way am i dropping a ton of money and still have to pay for over priced under buttered popcorn ;)
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The article nails it...

I'm sure it's coming too. Pick your entertainment and $100 each for an evening can be justified. Other cheaper theaters will not offer the same experience so I can see it happening. I'll go with my lovely wife to a fine restaurant and with wine and tip spend a couple hundred for the evening but you can be sure it's not Applebee's!

Kind of like eyeglasses no?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm becoming such an old codger for my 27 years

eyeglasses i have always understood, kinda like teeth you only get one set. so those i've never really scrimped on. anything else i get heart attacks lol I can see going out for a nice dinner and ending up around $100 a head, but that at least is an experience. We went on a double date a few years ago to a fondue restaurant, and the bill ended up being $480 for all of us but the entire evening was AMAZING, the chef came and sat with us for awhile made us a dessert on the house gave us samples of all of their different french wines (never again will i be able to pass for even remotely that classy ) . i can't picture paying $100 to sit in a theater and watch a movie for two hours. I usually won't even justify the $10 to go haha. and then what if you don't like the movie??!! i'd want george lucas' personal phone number so i could get my money back!! haha
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    For a 2-3 hour movie, it had better be the same amount of entertainment as a full day at DisneyWorld (they just upped their 1 day pass to about $100).

I don't see it coming anytime soon, the theaters are having enough trouble filling seats at the current prices. I see a movie about every other week in the afternoon when prices are lowest, I bring my own soda and only occasionally buy popcorn.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A prime seating area in a recliner type chair with cocktail service at the concession stand.

I experienced this once in I believe Vermont. Dang if I even remember which movie it was but I remember how I'd have paid twice as much as I did!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    For a 2-3 hour movie, it had better be the same amount of entertainment as a full day at DisneyWorld (they just upped their 1 day pass to about $100). Two or three hours in lines!

I don't see it coming anytime soon, the theaters are having enough trouble filling seats at the current prices. Theaters make no money from the films these days. I see a movie about every other week in the afternoon when prices are lowest, I bring my own soda and only occasionally buy popcorn. Couple nips of Baccardi. Kids at the concession usually don't realize what's up when you ask for extra ice and no need to fill the cup.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    *snort*

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    A prime seating area in a recliner type chair with cocktail service at the concession stand.

I experienced this once in I believe Vermont. Dang if I even remember which movie it was but I remember how I'd have paid twice as much as I did!
    Actually, our local theater (part of the Marcus chain) remodeled a couple of years. Two of the smaller theaters were converted into VIP, with double wide, leather seats with memory foam. Each seat also has a rotating "table". As you walk back to the theaters, you can purchase beer or wine, as well as a pizza or hot sandwich.

Seating for the VIP theaters is $2.00 more during matinee hours or $4.00 for evening hours.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Actually, our local theater (part of the Marcus chain) remodeled a couple of years. Two of the smaller theaters were converted into VIP, with double wide, leather seats with memory foam. Each seat also has a rotating "table". As you walk back to the theaters, you can purchase beer or wine, as well as a pizza or hot sandwich.

Seating for the VIP theaters is $2.00 more during matinee hours or $4.00 for evening hours.
    Sweet!

Thinking about it what's a $100 to George Lucas?

OptiBoard Professional Jamelina's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seriously! I went to see a movie about a month ago...first time in a year or so...I went to buy popcorn and two drinks and ended up paying $18.50!!! I remember being able to go as a kid and spending under $10 for the ticket, popcorn, candy, AND a drink. Oh my word.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I gotta take back that the article nails it. Last weeks Entertainment Weekly talks about the interview and that Lucas was speculating that movies at that price in the future will be holographic as it takes place all around you with sight sound and smells. Wow!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Note to self: Do not see remake of the movies FartMan or Blazing Saddles in Fester's futuristic theater.

Thread Information