Thread: What is the problem?

OptiBoard Apprentice

Blue Jumper

Hey everybody,

Two weeks ago my headhunter called me and told me that he had set up an interview for me with another company. They took one look at my resume (BBA, MS Certification in Excel and business and Laser Vision Experience) and were impressed enough with me to offer me a job. So, this Friday will be my last day working for OD's and my last day in the optical field, for a little while of course since the job is temp.

Anyway, when I told my co-workers, most of them were happy for me, others were just glad to see me go :). When I told the doctors, all one of them seemed to care about it that I worked my two weeks and the other one didn't seem to care, which is fine, but neither of them said congraluations!

The OD I worked for before I left when he went behind my back and told a friend of mine that he was thinking of letting me go!
    What is it with OD's, is it just me?

When I told the ones that I am working with that I am leaving, I told them the truth, I am not going much further in the optical field shy of becoming a doctor. After looking a the requirments, I have a whole new level of respect for OD's and what they had to go thru.

Sorry, to vent, but that really ****** me off!

Richard "four and a half days and counting" S

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Seems to be a common thing for those above you ? to not give a damm about things like you moving on and bettering yourself (probably jealous) and they do say things like i was going to get rid of him anyway just to try and make themselves look good, but i bet your co workers are thinking "I wish that was me leaving and not him" or "I wish i had the guts to do that".
    Good luck in your new job to

John "I wish" R

------------------
    Every day a grind
    Every week a bind
    www.iooi.co.uk

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    RichardS, Congratulations on your decision. sometimes we just just need a change of scenery. My best lady optician is gradually transforming her career to real estate. just cutting back to 3 1/2 days a week for now. She been with me several years and I will be hard pressed to replace her, but she's also a friend for about 20 years; so I'm wishing her well an helping her any way I can; she''l be a great referral source out there too. I think it's pretty tacky for someone to say what they said. sort of slanderous. most doctors don't especially appreciate good opticians until they don't have one. and it's not good to burn bridges either. wish you well. Al.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Al,
    I was in your fair state this weekend, and the weather was great. Had a good time with all of the TOPS folks. Had some good Mexican food, as well.

Diane

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Hey Richard,

Believe it or not I can answer that question ;-) Since most OD's work as independent doctors in their own practices and buildings they tend to take eveything personally. What I mean is "they" are the reason for the success of their practice and whatever you add to it is merely an extension of their expertise. If you want to leave then go ahead they can always find another, after all they found you, so how hard can it be? I'm saying all of this with sarcasm in my voice I hope you know ;-)

I have had the same things happen to me after I built a lab up from scratch for doctors that knew nothing about that end of the business. One of the doctors wasn't completely sure what to think about my leaving and the other looked me straight in the face and said "Go ahead. The lab will run just fine without you. It won't cease to function." I was proud that I had waisted so much time...er...worked for this man (and I use the term loosely) I didn't work my last two weeks at all. I had more important stuff to tend to, I had to wash my car, get the oil changed on my bike, mow my yard, clean my garage and sit around in my backyard reading a magazine and drinking a beer. You know, the kind of stuff that just can't wait :-)

Personally after that incident I will never take my job seriously ever again unless I work for myself (which I do). If I should ever go back to work for someone else I will put in forty hours no more unless it is absolutely necessary. If I do put in more than forty hours I will get overtime or someone will get hurt and I'm not just saying that either. I figure if they don't pay me I'll take it out of their hide. In the 15 years I worked for the Doc's I never got paid overtime and averaged about 50 hours a week. My own stupidity though.

Remember not to take anything to personally. If you don't feel you're appreciated you're probably not. Your work is not your life. Your life is your life and worth more than any job ever was. So many people want to give it their all when it comes to a job that they feel has prestige and security. If you give it your all then what do you have left for yourself? Give 'em what they paid for and if that isn't enough for them then they can pay more to get more.

I feel your pain dude, but don't sweat it. The doc's aren't worth the effort. If you,ve got the money and can do it I say walk away and don't give them the two weeks if it bothers you that much. They have no soul ;-)

Take care big guy and remember you are never appreciated when you're an employee ;-)

Darris "Been there and did that" Chambless

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Arrow

I know this is a BIG generalization, but I have found (at least in my chunk of the world here) that most OD's are STRANGE!! I am only referring to the ones I have personally come in contact with of course.A few examples:
    I knew a doc who would become almost violent w/ pts who were overwearing their contacts, to the point of demanding they get out of the chair, leave the office and NEVER come back. This same OD would gorge on food and then be sick from eating so much. I am not kidding.
    One doc was such a health nut he would go jogging or bike-riding when it was slow, or during lunch and come bakc all sweaty, ewww.
    Another doc carries his trials in the trunk of his car...he has the tech (his wife) run and get what he needs.
    A female OD I used to work with was deathly afraid of germs: she would open the doors w/ a Kleenex and if she heard a pt. sneeze or sniffle she would have them reschedule.
    And my personal fave, a very busy OD here is a Scientologist and it is STRONGLY recommended that his techs attend Scientology
    classes if they are to have a future w/ him.

Jeez, no wonder I haven't had an eye exam in 4 years!!

[This message has been edited by Andrea (edited 10-02-2000).]

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Hello Richard,
    I think it's probably the Docs think they're the important ones and everyone else is just there, and they feel they can always replace a good Optician, most of the time they find out too late when they lose a good one until they're gone.
    Good luck, Rich R

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OK Richard . . so you're leaving us, heh?
    Now I can tell you what really shakes out.
    Your ex boss didn't like the way you parted your hair. You out diagnosed him constantly. He doesn't like people who eat their main course before the salad. He saw that look in your eye when you saw a botched up lasik job. What's worse . . . he told me himself you should have paid him to work there (like they all say), he didn't like the fact that you had other skills to fall back on. But, you need to move on. Get a real job. Get a hair cut. Go get some nerdy job screwing with macros with some dumb computer company.
    And, always remember . . . you'll never make it in this world demosntrating toys at FAO Schwartz . . . like, who do you think you are . . . Tom Hanks?
    And, one last thing I have to say . . .
    Any openings where you're going my phone number is 713 555 5555!
    P.S. Don't leave Optiboard. I can't stand being left alone here with Beta Chem. The kids driving me nutz! (Hi, BC! Luv ya, kid)

Later, Dude
    (this is sooo painful!)

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Hey Alan,

I have to add to the diatribe for just a moment. My favorite thing to be told by the doc's I worked for and even the others that I considered working for was "You're making a good salary for San Angelo." or my personal favorite "You can't go anywhere in town and make the kind of money I'm paying you." That last one always makes me laugh hysterically.

To expound on the "You can't go anywhere in town and make the kind of money I'm paying you." I had a gentleman that worked with me and he and the doc had a little meeting one day. Well, the doc told him the same thing and he became increasingly curious about whether this statement was true or not so he went around talking to some other places about a job. After having a couple of interviews and discussing salary and or pay, this is what he found out. He could go to work at a fast food restaurant starting at $2.00 an hour more than what the doc paid him and could get into management training to get his own store and make about $15,000.00 more a year than the doc paid plus benefits. He could go to work at Sitel and start at about $5.00 more an hour AND they would work around his school schedule plus he would get benefits. He could also go to work for a corporate owned optical shop (where he ended up going) and get paid $6.00 more an hour plus benefits and they would work around his school schedule.

I think that the docs get a little out of touch with reality sometimes. Basically a person can get a job just about anywhere and make the same or more than most docs pay PLUS benefits. So WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE!!! :-)

Our general attitude toward the docs tends to unnerve them because we are just being spiteful in their minds. What they don't realize is people like me (when I worked for the docs) knew exactly how much money came in and exactly how much went out. In other words I knew exactly how much money they had and exactly how much of that I made for them. What they also didn't know was how much time and aggravation I saved them nor did they care. Oh well.

Take care dudes and Richard...You really eat your main course before your salad? What kind of a sick puppy are you? :-)

Darris C.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Congratulations on your move, Richard.

I don't think the observations you've made about your current employer's reactions to your decision to "move on" are particular to Optometrists. I've worked in a couple of different fields, and I've seen some "strange" behaivor from people in every field.

When a good employee gives me notice (which thankfully does not happen very often), I'm usually happy for them... but to be honest, they've just created work for me. Now I have to find another good employee (and with the current job market, good employees are hard, and expensive, to find).

With our office, it becomes even more expensive considering that I will raise our current employee's salary to match what I have to pay to get someone with similar experience in the door (you shouldn't be penalized for being loyal to the practice). Some people don't hide their "sour grapes" as well.

I will concede one point that has been made, however- ODs do tend to take things very personally (but then again, a lot of people do). Just leave and never look back...

Any time I've ever decided to look for another opportunity, its never taken me more than 2 weeks to find a better paying job- so I don't waste time being miffed and frustrated at a job (I just move on and up). The most annoying thing for me is someone who constantly complains about their job... just move on! Thank God, I really like where I am right now (as you know, that means a lot). Good luck in your future enterprises. What field are you entering, exactly?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Pete Hanlin (edited 10-03-2000).]

OptiBoard Apprentice

I wanted to start by thanking everyone for the warm thoughts, it makes these days go by faster knowing that I am not the only one that feels this way.

As for eating my main course before my salad, what can I say?

Pete, you asked what field am I entering in? I am going to work for a logistics company inside of Compaq. It's a longer drive, better hours, better pay and best of all, since it's a temp job, I will be able to learn a few new things and then move on and make more money.

I think my attention span is too short to work a full time job. That combined with my new found passion for programming makes a full time job seem pointless when I can work temp and bounce around making more money each time.

My fraternity brother and good friend is doing that and doing very well I might add. So, we will see, I plan to keep checking the board and maybe do something on the programming side of the optical industry, God only knows.

Richard "Counting down the days" S

Thread Information