Thread: Tasty Protein Bar

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Tasty Protein Bar

Hi There! I am trying to choke down an Odwalla protein bar for breakfast and I'm thinking there HAS to be something better tasting (and not too difficult to find). Open for suggestions. I am not used to eating breakfast but I am trying to eat better and I don't make time for a proper breakfast so I would like something quick and easy. Microwave cereal is too much work, I am really wanting a good meal replacement bar. Thanks all!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Deer jerky!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Deer jerky!
    Is that easy to find in TX? I'm not opposed to it but I don't know about it being breakfast food, not with coffee anyway.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I just have a piece of whole wheat toast.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have a bagel and cream cheese, sometimes strawberry, blueberry, etc.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

FWIW my wife likes Natures Valley chewy brands of granola bars.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have tried MANY protien bars. To be real honest I haven't found a good one, just less bad. I am currently using Cliff Builder protien bars.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    http://www.supremeprotein.com/prod-pbj.html These are arguably the best on the market. But in general, Sledz is correct.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Bacon. Wrap a few rashers of bacon around your protein bar or stuff it between a couple of slices of bread or a bagel. Dip it in your coffee. Just eat a couple of slices ot bacon and you will be all set for whatever comes your way.

Bacon . . . the breakfast of champions!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have also had supreme protein and they aren't bad either. I have only had the one flavor though. I have found that switching periodically helps too.

OptiBoard Professional Jamelina's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The metRX apple protein bars are yummy!

Occupation
    Typical American diet has too much sugar, processed food, protein and fat, a protein bar has 3 of the 4 items.

Why not try a Banana, Apple, Tangerine, etc.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    As my grandmother used to say, if it comes ready to eat in a box, can or package, you shouldn't put it in your mouth. And any protein bar I have ever seen commercially comes with a substantial amount of processed carbohydrates in it.

I vote for bacon and eggs.

Anyway, Tasty...and...Protein bar is an oxymoron.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    mmmmm....bacon.....

Dice up a thick slice of onion and a couple of pieces of thick-slice bacon. Fry until the bacon is crispy. Add diced potatoes and green/red peppers. Fry over medium heat until the potatoes are crispy, stirring occasionally. Salt & pepper to taste.

or

Dice up a thick slice of onion and a couple of pieces of thick-slice bacon. Fry until the bacon is crispy, remove from pan onto a couple of paper towels to wick the excess fat away and drain the fat from the pan. Using 3 eggs per person, break into bowl and beat until frothy. Pour into hot fry pan. When eggs are about half cooked, put the bacon/onion mixture. Stir until the eggs are cooked to your satisfaction. Serve with shredded cheese on top.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    But if microwave cereal is too much work, I'm not sure the above is going to suit your needs...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    mmmmm....bacon.....

Dice up a thick slice of onion and a couple of pieces of thick-slice bacon. Fry until the bacon is crispy. Add diced potatoes and green/red peppers. Fry over medium heat until the potatoes are crispy, stirring occasionally. Salt & pepper to taste.

or

Dice up a thick slice of onion and a couple of pieces of thick-slice bacon. Fry until the bacon is crispy, remove from pan onto a couple of paper towels to wick the excess fat away and drain the fat from the pan. Using 3 eggs per person, break into bowl and beat until frothy. Pour into hot fry pan. When eggs are about half cooked, put the bacon/onion mixture. Stir until the eggs are cooked to your satisfaction. Serve with shredded cheese on top.
    Now that's what I'M talkin' about...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Growing up an Army Brat, I may be slightly biased, but the best protein/energy bar I've ever eaten was a 'Hooah Bar'. Vey tasty, came in chocolate or peanut butter. I think there was even an apple one, but that wasn't very good. I'm pretty sure they have been renamed 'Soldier Fuel' and are still available. I usually purchased mine through Amazon.

On a side note, I once visited the Soldier Support center in Natick, MA (super cool place) It's basically the R&D for all the soldier's gear. It's where boots are designed and tested, camo patterns are created, all MRE recipes are tested and added/subtracted to the soldiers menu, even portable temporary inflatable structures were in development when I was there. It has a testing room where the hottest/coldest artificial environment on the planet can be created to test whatever gear those crazy military engineers have come up with.
    While I was there, they mentioned these protein bars, and I talked with a soldier who was involved in the 'taste testing' of some of the original flavors. Said it was one of the hardest things he ever had to do. They told me that now that the bars are commercially available, a proceed of every sale goes back to help fund the Soldier Support Center. Which for me, is the best reason of all for choosing them as your go-to protein bar.
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

Occupation
    Detour Bars are the best protein bars I have found to date. Low on carbs, high on protein and tasty. The calories are up there so they are MRE's but if you buy the smaller bars from wholesale clubs they are about 180 cals I believe and perfect for a MRE or snack depending on how your dietary needs are set.

I like to eat 4 - 5 small meals a day so caloric intake is important to me in each of these meals. a Detour bar does the trick for a mid afternoon snack.

Occupation

Cricket(s), anyone?

These new energy bars include flour from ground up crickets--or "mini stock", which is a euphemism that I've heard for insects raised to be eaten.

Not that I ever eat any bars. And these--especially not ever.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/23/smal...html?hpt=hp_t3

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    yuk

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post
    These new energy bars include flour from ground up crickets--or "mini stock", which is a euphemism that I've heard for insects raised to be eaten.

Not that I ever eat any bars. And these--especially not ever.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/23/smal...html?hpt=hp_t3
    I'll pass on the cricket, although it is a good protein and considered "food" in a lot of places. I love the Solgier Fuel history and will look that up. Thanks! At Smart and Final I think I have tried one of everything and my favorite there is the Kind Bars.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just got the Cliff Builders in peanut butter flavor and have really been enjoying them!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    These new energy bars include flour from ground up crickets
    I hear news about this every so often in milkshakes, softdrinks, and now yogurt.

I joke with my kids that whenever the ingredients list 'other natural flavors or ingredients' thats secret code for bugs.

http://now.msn.com/dannon-yogurt-get...mer-group-says
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

Thread Information