Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoya lab suggestions.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hoya lab suggestions.

I want to hear from who is happy with the customer service at their Hoya lab, ours was lacking (not going to say who) so I started going through our independent when I needed the lenses. Joined a new buying group with a private label Hoya designed lens and substantial savings on core product so I'm willing to give it another shot. Really looking for service over accuracy as I have great success with the lenses but CS and price were keeping us from using them previously.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are with CS at Hoya Atlanta, Hoya Largo and Hoya SC.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hoya Largo for my iDOC Infinitys and Ultraview AR and Hoya Cleveland for my iDoc stock lenses, Turn around time is decent, prices good and CS pretty responsive so far.
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManFla View Post
    Hoya Largo for my iDOC Infinitys and Ultraview AR and Hoya Cleveland for my iDoc stock lenses, Turn around time is decent, prices good and CS pretty responsive so far.

What has your impression been of the Infinity lenses and the coatings. As I understand they are using the summits and lifestyle as a basis. I have not been enlightened yet, but it sounds like Hoya services the stock lenses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jmainwar View Post
    What has your impression been of the Infinity lenses and the coatings. As I understand they are using the summits and lifestyle as a basis. I have not been enlightened yet, but it sounds like Hoya services the stock lenses.
    Correct, the Infinity line is based on their iQ/iD lines and the Ultraview Plus is basically Hi Vision w/vp. So far, no problems. I get my surfacing from Largo and my stock from Cleveland. The Cleveland stock house has a good spread of lenses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hoya in Lewiston ME was always very good to us when we used them!
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had to deal with Hoya Dallas and their coatings were pathetic. More non adapts than I have ever seen, but another optician was the person fitting them. Not a fan here but any pal fitted right should work. I just have seen the AR's break down was too quick.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hoya Dallas would be one to avoid. At least it was as of October 2011. No idea since then. Chicago was good.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hoya SW of chicago, I think franklin park... I will Never EVER send anything to them..... EVER. did I say Never?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No, you said Never ever.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTICALTROLL View Post
    I had to deal with Hoya Dallas and their coatings were pathetic. More non adapts than I have ever seen, but another optician was the person fitting them. Not a fan here but any pal fitted right should work. I just have seen the AR's break down was too quick.
    Been using HOYA Dallas since 2008 and little to no issues with any of their service and/or products.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hoya St. Louis is great. I always contrast it with the Essilor partner lab in St. Louis by saying that with Hoya, it's what can we do FOR you with the EPL it's what can they do TO you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    out of curiosity which product of theirs were you using for progressives? how about AR? we're considering switching back. but i have reservations about it. although not feeding the essilor/luxottica monster is becoming a priority for my office. you can PM me if you want since i'm hijacking the thread here.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by becc971 View Post
    out of curiosity which product of theirs were you using for progressives? how about AR? we're considering switching back. but i have reservations about it. although not feeding the essilor/luxottica monster is becoming a priority for my office. you can PM me if you want since i'm hijacking the thread here.

Really I can't tell you it was the previous opticians choice to use their products. Seemed like the AR names were something like super, super high vision etc etc. They all broke down very quick. The pals I have no clue on what the names were. I am not biased on lenses and have used plenty of brands successfully. Once I took over I saw many non adapts and it really wasn't the fit.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we have had nothing but stellar service and products from Hoya NW (portland or whatever). im on the phone with them daily bugging them with stupid questions and requests and they always take the time to help me fully! plus i owe someone there (not naming names) an Alaskan Fishing trip since they have helped me out of a jam on several occasions, and gone the extra mile!

we do predominately progressives from them, and the uncuts we receive are plenty large enough to edge, unlike another lab we recently started working with from the same area. we are at like 95% with our A/R and we usually use their super hi vision EX3. it holds up VERY well from what i have seen. out of the hundreds of lenses we have gotten only 2 pair has crazed or been defective. (the crazed pairs where my customers own stupidity straight up, but hoya covered their coating and replaced the lenses free of charge) i personally have the EX3 on my everyday glasses and i beat the snot out of them on a daily basis! not a single scratch (granted im smarter than most customers) and the coating looks flawless still.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Huffam View Post
    we have had nothing but stellar service and products from Hoya NW (portland or whatever). im on the phone with them daily bugging them with stupid questions and requests and they always take the time to help me fully! plus i owe someone there (not naming names) an Alaskan Fishing trip since they have helped me out of a jam on several occasions, and gone the extra mile!
    Seattle, Portland, or Eugene? And I wouldn't mind if you dropped a name, you can even PM it too me. I'm more than happy to show my appreciation to those who watch my back while I decide to be human.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Really I can't tell you it was the previous opticians choice to use their products. Seemed like the AR names were something like super, super high vision etc etc. They all broke down very quick. The pals I have no clue on what the names were. I am not biased on lenses and have used plenty of brands successfully. Once I took over I saw many non adapts and it really wasn't the fit.
    Being a Hoya distributor up here in Canada, I have to be blunt and say your posts are completely non-factual and without merit and seem to be more focused on tarnishing one's reputation of quality.

I sell a boatload of these lenses/coatings everyday and other than the odd scratched lens (which isn't breakdown), we never have returns for coating break down ever. I will also go on the record and tell everyone here that HOYA's lens coatings alone are the best designed and engineered (by their own engineers) in the entire industry. The most obvious and important step in the process is that all coatings are substrate matched with each material and that alone is a huge difference and extra step that none of the other manufacturers are performing.

We carry all other manufacturer's lenses and coatings (non-HOYA) and constantly receive those back with evidence of cracking/crazing around the 6 month to 12 month stage.

As far as HOYA lens designs go, I suggest to anyone not familiar with HOYA products to contact a rep and spend an hour - you will be well informed and amazed how many excellent niche cost effective products they have to make you successful and keep those patients coming back time and again.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    PM sent. they are a group of rockstars!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
    Being a Hoya distributor up here in Canada, I have to be blunt and say your posts are completely non-factual and without merit and seem to be more focused on tarnishing one's reputation of quality.

I sell a boatload of these lenses/coatings everyday and other than the odd scratched lens (which isn't breakdown), we never have returns for coating break down ever. I will also go on the record and tell everyone here that HOYA's lens coatings alone are the best designed and engineered (by their own engineers) in the entire industry. The most obvious and important step in the process is that all coatings are substrate matched with each material and that alone is a huge difference and extra step that none of the other manufacturers are performing.

We carry all other manufacturer's lenses and coatings (non-HOYA) and constantly receive those back with evidence of cracking/crazing around the 6 month to 12 month stage.

As far as HOYA lens designs go, I suggest to anyone not familiar with HOYA products to contact a rep and spend an hour - you will be well informed and amazed how many excellent niche cost effective products they have to make you successful and keep those patients coming back time and again.
    So if you're selling a boatload of lenses does that mean that you're making a boatload of money? $$$

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, the bottom line is, all labs are different and everybody's experiences are not the same. I use the Hoya lab in Largo Florida. If you had told me five years ago I'd be using that lab I'd told you only if you put a gun to my head....and then maybe not......
    I replaced a lens line that I've been using successfully for 10 years (Shamir) and even had a pair of iD Mystyles made up for me. NO COMPLAINTS.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Yeah sure, if you say so. I'm sure what I saw had nothing to do with the quality of Hoya products or the crappy Hoya dallas lab.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    FWIW I have been using Hoya dallas with great success.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Yeah sure, if you say so. I'm sure what I saw had nothing to do with the quality of Hoya products or the crappy Hoya dallas lab.
    That's your opinion, we're all entitled to one. The consensus on this thread thankfully trumps one bad review.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    That's your opinion, we're all entitled to one. The consensus on this thread thankfully trumps one bad review.
    Don't feed the OPTICAL TROLL.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    Hoya Dallas would be one to avoid. At least it was as of October 2011. No idea since then. Chicago was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Hoya SW of chicago, I think franklin park... I will Never EVER send anything to them..... EVER. did I say Never?

One bad review?

Thread Information