Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTICALTROLL View Post

One bad review?
    1 potato, 2 potato

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    It bears repeating: don't feed the (OPTICAL)TROLL.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank to all who replied with relevant information.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have used Hoya Seattle for many years and have been very satisfied with product quality, customer service, and value.
    We use iD Lifestyle and Mystyle lenses with EX3 AR coatings on a daily basis and rarely have issues or non-adapts.
    I am not affiliated with HOYA other than as a customer but can highly recommend this lab based on my experience, YMMV.
    If cost is a concern I would look at joining a professional alliance like PECAA where substanial discounts on Hoya and other products are available. Again, only speaking as a customer/member.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hoya cleveland has done fine work for years. Not the absolute fastest, but not slow either.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
    1 potato, 2 potato
    Says the guy that can't count.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    It is actually possible for one person to have a bad experience with a company and another person having great experience with the same company and both people are be telling the truth. Knock it off with the insults!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Trololololo? YOLO!!!!!!!! +1 for most obvious internet troll name (actually a -1 because you are a troll after all). the truly great trolls of our time don't tell people the kind of person they are from the start.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Huffam View Post
    Trololololo? YOLO!!!!!!!! +1 for most obvious internet troll name (actually a -1 because you are a troll after all). the truly great trolls of our time don't tell people the kind of person they are from the start.
    Was my message unclear?

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Save $$$$ with Acculab
    Occupation
    Acculab has had a few offices switch from hoya and started using our Seiko product with great results and far better profit margins.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The customer service people at the Hoya Hartford lab are some of the most pleasant folks with whom I do business.

As for the AR, I believe the Hoya line is second to none.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Hoya has not yet fully recovered from their disastrous flooding in Thailand, and they still outsource (to non-Hoya labs) significant amounts of work. As a result quality will vary widely, especially on AR's.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Having just visited the HOYA facilities in Thailand, I can assure you that the only lasting sign of the flood is a placque in the main lobby that shows the water depth. HOYA's US and European facilities simultaneously completed a significant increase in manufacturing capacity. Your assertion that HOYA labs outsource signficant amounts of work to non-HOYA labs is untrue, and in fact was not even true during the time of the Thailand floods.
    RT

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    But it was on optiboard so the rumor must be true.....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I was approached to process Hoya orders after the flooding... I didn't have the extra capacity so I declined. I have 2 friends who also own labs, who offered that they still do outsourced work for Hoya labs... so I only have their word on it. If my friends are lying please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    Having just visited the HOYA facilities in Thailand, I can assure you that the only lasting sign of the flood is a placque in the main lobby that shows the water depth. HOYA's US and European facilities simultaneously completed a significant increase in manufacturing capacity. Your assertion that HOYA labs outsource signficant amounts of work to non-HOYA labs is untrue, and in fact was not even true during the time of the Thailand floods.
    Last edited by sharpstick777; 07-02-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Hoya has not yet fully recovered from their disastrous flooding in Thailand, and they still outsource (to non-Hoya labs) significant amounts of work. As a result quality will vary widely, especially on AR's.
    I am under the impression that my Hoya lenses are processed by my lab ( I use the Summit iQ and the iDLifestyle), but EX3 has to be outsourced to an independent Hoya lab because of secrecy regarding the coating procedure. Is this indeed true?

As for crazed and peeling coatings I have yet to see an issue with Hoya EX3. Maybe some of us are using budget coatings? I don't touch any budget A/R with a ten foot pole. Not worth the heartache.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    I am under the impression that my Hoya lenses are processed by my lab ( I use the Summit iQ and the iDLifestyle), but EX3 has to be outsourced to an independent Hoya lab because of secrecy regarding the coating procedure. Is this indeed true?

As for crazed and peeling coatings I have yet to see an issue with Hoya EX3. Maybe some of us are using budget coatings? I don't touch any budget A/R with a ten foot pole. Not worth the heartache.

EX3 was not one of the names I remember.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We used Hoya exclusive for 3.5 yrs. The EX3 AR is fantastic. No complaints about it at all. We edge now so use them very little. Occasional problems but nothing to terrible. They did lose a few frames......

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Im late seeing this forum, have not been on OptiBoard for years. Anyway, I proudly work for HOYA and would happily give you the phone number of several practices that literally have called/emailed me and said "Lab xx came in and offered us ____ (everything from money, to free lenses, to huge discounts) and we said we can never leave HOYA because their AR is so much better..." I get a call now and then about a random AR that has crazed, but it is always OLD OLD OLD and usually a Transitions product to boot so I think that process compromises longevity of all hardcoats. I am not coming to this forum with this message trying to change your mind, but I can assure you this not a critism that someone at HOYA would give much weight to considering what we here from customers dispensing the product. I completely respect your opinion of course.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    HOYA's the bombdiggidty. Been using them for 15+ years here. CS excellent!!! Product and accuracy, fantastic. Would never change. Have to drag me kicking and screaming to an Essilor lab.
    ~Follow Your Bliss~

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTICALTROLL View Post
    EX3 was not one of the names I remember.
    EX3 is a relatively new product. Just an upgrade from their Super Hi Vision AR. It's pretty nice but I didnt see anything wrong with the SHV.
    ~Follow Your Bliss~

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As you are located in OR, it may benefit you to hear from someone in the NW who has had some experience with Hoya Seattle; which is located in Tacoma, WA. I severed my ties with them some years ago, I had issues with their bench work and could not get any resolution as to why their AR continued to craze and or lift off. Again, this was some time ago but I am not alone, many of my colleges experienced similar issues with this particular location.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    NCspecs, you are correct about your Hoya lenses being processed at your lab because your lab is one of the few non corporately owned labs that process the iQ and Lifestyle in-house. I am not so sure about the secrecy part of processing the EX3 but rather a cost issue due to the index matching of their AR with different lens materials. I am thinking I heard at one time, different materials were coated by different coating units. I could be mistaken on this. Maybe someone here could offer some insight. I can only speak for the Hoya EX3 AR and from feedback from customers and what I have personally experienced, it is very good.

As far as Hoya lenses, I have had good feedback from ECPs and have several pair....among many different PALS.

ps. NCspecs Rocks!
    Last edited by Lee H; 12-11-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Thread Information