Thread: Colour Overlays for Dyslexia

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Colour Overlays for Dyslexia

Do any of you have any thoughts on the use of coloured overlays for use by dyslexic people? I have found that for a large percentage of the people who try the overlays aan initial improvement in clarity and stability is seen, but only for a small percentage does this continue to be the case over six months or so. Obviously it's great that some people are helped by this but why or how does it work, and why not for everyone if for some.

I have been mulling over the idea of trying a typoscope type of system for some children who find that the whole page of print is moving/wobbling, or for those who experience a line of print shifting horizontally, causing tracking problems. I wonder whether a typoscope with the appropriate colour filter combined would be feasible?

What do other countries' 'health authorities' make of the whole colours- for-dyslexia topic?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Con them with any gimmick you can sell. You won't do any harm. And you will fit in with thousands of O.D.'s, Psychologists, M.D.'s and others that have a hard time making a ligitimite living.

Chip

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Here's a search on 'Irlen' who popularized this concept. I believe there has never been any scientifically valid study that has proven that the use of colored filters can be effective in treating dyslexia.

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/sear...der=descending

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Other than teaching dyslexics to accept, adapt and live with thier conditon, THERE IS NOTHING THAT CAN BE DONE FOR THE CONDITION.

There are lots of filters, mirrors, smoke, exercises, drugs and things that are marketed for the condition though.

Most of these patients are quite smart and as they enter young adulthood learn to cope and do well.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    chip anderson said:
    Con them with any gimmick you can sell. You won't do any harm. And you will fit in with thousands of O.D.'s, Psychologists, M.D.'s and others that have a hard time making a ligitimite living.

Chip
    1. I am not in the business of conning people

2. I do not 'sell' this as a trial.I take no money and am paid no fee for trying, I choose to try to help. Is this a difficult concept for the cynics to understand?

3. I make a legitimate living, my conscience is clear.

Steve, thanks for the link,I'll read up on that.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

For SaraR

SaraR:

It was ment in jest there have been any number of groups "treating dyslexia" for the last 4 or 5 decades knowing that nothing works. All of these have proved fruitless and mostlly amouted to scams.

Not ment as an insult to your intergrety as you are appearently "investigating" possible remedies. Find something else to treat, unless you can re=wire the brain the only thing that can help this is the patient's acceptance or carrying a mirror around to read everything.

Chip

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Sarah, have had cause to contact the eyecare trust i noticed they have a section on this subject on their site. Dont know if its any use but have a
    look here

Bad address email on file Tim Hunter's Avatar
    Sarah

I know that Bruce Evans et al have done some work at the Institute of Optometry comparing the efficacy of the Irlen filters with those created on the Intuitive colorimeter and were surprised to find that there did seem to be some correlation and statistically significant effect.

I know there has been a lot of good peer reviewed research done on the Intuitive colorimeter and that might be an interesting place to start.

Doesn't work for everyone of course but then that's because dyslexia or whatever you want to call it is a spectrum of different conditions lumped under one name like glaucoma or kerataconus.

Good luck to you.:)

Occupation
    Tim, was this study ever published? The only other study I'm aware of that showed efficacy was an Australian one that showed the only color filter to have any affect at all was light blue. Unfortunately I've never been able to find a reference to that study again.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the info Tim, think I read an article earlier today which was along those lines, Optometry today or Optician I think. Apparently showing greater improvement through specs than overlays. I'll do some research on the results of the work at the IOO.

John, Thats a cracking link-thanks!

:)

Steve

I heard Bruce Evans (who's a well know BV expert in the UK) about two years ago give a lecture on the afore mentioned research, so I would expect they will have published by now. He was working at the Institute of optometry in London, so they might have a list of research papers produced on their web site (sorry i haven't a link).

Link for the Institute of Optometry is www.ioo.org.uk/

Occupation
    Thanks Tim. I saw a listing for the research paper entitled 'Investigation of the effect of coloured filters in patients with low vision' which has been 'submitted to Ophthal. Physiol. Opt.', presumably for publication.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Bad address email on file
    Occupation

In UK we measure effects of filters

send me an e mail for info on this subject.
    IanJordan@visualdyslexia.com

In UK/ Ireland we measure the effect of tints and filters using the Orthoscopic system. We will show in USA in due course (or earlier if invited)

Seems as though you are in the position we were in twenty years ago.

The person who believes tints have no effect is simply wrong.

Thread Information