Thread: Multi Generational Optical familys?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Multi Generational Optical familys?

I and my wife are both Opticians and two years ago , my daughter became one, the practice I am associated with, has multi generational OD's (2 brothers and 1 daughter in law took over 3 stores from Father) and a practice my wife once worked for, the owner was the Optician son of the OD that started the practice. How many of you out there are multi generational or multi family members in the optical trade? just curious (btw daughter is going to go to nursing school in the fall so at least one of us will have an honest job LOL).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am a 2nd generation optician. My brother is one too but I am the nice one. :)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I dragged my husband into the trade.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Paternal grandfather owned a lab
    Maternal grandfather was a OD
    My father owned a lab and his brother (my uncle) was a OD
    I am now the last of my family in the business (48 years and counting down)
    J. R. Smith

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Met my wife at LC like 15 years ago. My Retail Manager hired her "for me" he said. We've been together ever since. Worked together for about 6 1/2 of those years.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    Met my wife at LC like 15 years ago. My Retail Manager hired her "for me" he said. We've been together ever since. Worked together for about 6 1/2 of those years.
    Met my husband at LC 23 years ago...we could only work together for 2 years, haha....he was 1 step above me on the totem pole.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    That's why LC uses all those poly lenses...they're hard to break up....ahahahahaha.

I was the first optometrist in my family. My younger brother became an optician. He got his start in my office, but now owns his own shop. My son is now an OD and practices with me (and my partners).

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I don't know if this counts, but my 10 year old granddaughter is getting pretty good with an edger. I'm the first in my family, so this may be the start of something.

OptiBoard Professional Robert Wagner's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am at a practice that is now the 3rd generation of O.D.(s) This practice started in the late 40's and the best part is not only that the patients from decades ago are still patients here, (at least the ones who are still alive that is) it's that they send in their children and grandchildren as well. We have alot of the "old" equiptment that all the OD's used here (not on display or used) and there are patients that have donated frames from loved ones that date back to the 1600's on display. I think we are about the only stand alone O.D. practice in the area. I feel very lucky to be here in my final years of practice. As much as things have changed over the years, this practice still works for the patient and not their pocket book. It's almost like the show Cheers where everybody knows your name.
    The best of luck to all.
    Robert
    There are many things in life that catch your eye... but very few things will catch your heart.... Pursue those!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wagner View Post
    I am at a practice that is now the 3rd generation of O.D.(s) This practice started in the late 40's and the best part is not only that the patients from decades ago are still patients here, (at least the ones who are still alive that is) it's that they send in their children and grandchildren as well. We have alot of the "old" equiptment that all the OD's used here (not on display or used) and there are patients that have donated frames from loved ones that date back to the 1600's on display. I think we are about the only stand alone O.D. practice in the area. I feel very lucky to be here in my final years of practice. As much as things have changed over the years, this practice still works for the patient and not their pocket book. It's almost like the show Cheers where everybody knows your name.
    The best of luck to all.
    Robert
    You're a very lucky man to be in such a great environment every day. May we all end up in your shoes someday!

Thread Information