Thread: What's up yo?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What's up yo?

I try to come by as often as possible to check in with you all, but it seems the threads have been a little less personal lately. So how's it going with everyone?

I'll start with me. I'm back working in a chain again. It's been different but actually a good change for me. Working in the lab full time didn't last very long when my boss realized i'm better on the floor, so hello again to the concept of sales goals. The end of school year is upon us, so I'm trying to get the kids to school these last few days with a least one clean sock between the two of them. We are still camping every weekend, and with me working every Saturday my hubby has been playing mister mom, but he's handling it well. I miss coming here four million times a day but what can ya do?

So......how's it hanging for everyone else???

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Lady,

Not much here either! Had my first wedding anniversary in April and I believe I'll keep him! He does his own laundry, schedules his own dr appointments, and makes breakfast every morning. :) Now I'm getting all the baby questions which is driving us both up the wall. I've even had a few people remark on my age which enough to warrant a swift kick in the crotch in my opinion.

As for work, we are looking for some help in the dispensary for me- I'd like a vacation some day. It's hard to find good people though, optical people are wierdos, hahaha. I can't complain though because our front desk/prelim techs are all awesome sauce and the Drs are great as well. We are like a big, oversharing, left-over eating family that occasionally gives each other the middle finger. It's great.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I've been somewhat overwhelmed. I've been working 7 days a week for the last 5 years, and working on a 2nd Master's degree, this one in information systems. This takes up a lot of time, and my family and social relationships have taken a hit from it. On top of this are my SAO and Summit Team obligations, which are enjoyable and exciting, but further drain my resources and time.

I have enjoyed my opticianry career, but am not sure where to take it from here. I don't want to move for relationship reasons, but there isn't much around here to move up in this field. Also, I don't have the capital to start an optical shop, and wouldn't do it in the Columbia area for business reasons.

I'm beginning to think I may not be working in this field in a few years. There are opportunities for advancement, but they are few and they aren't local. Once the degree is completed, I will be looking at all opportunities, both within Opticianry/Optical and without.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been busy writing my memoirs and splashing my gullet with copious amounts of ale.

Things seem rather boring around here lately. I have grown weary from it and I am taking a hiatus....again.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I bought a house to rehab for a new business office for my wife (different field) and myself. It's gutted to the studs, and we're bringing in new beams tomorrow. I am also remodeling the upstairs of one of my offices into a bed and breakfast, which will be open this Fall. I'm also opening another office, so that will be taking a bit of my time as well.

I love the summer, as the sun stays up longer!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I bought a house to rehab for a new business office for my wife (different field) and myself. It's gutted to the studs, and we're bringing in new beams tomorrow. I am also remodeling the upstairs of one of my offices into a bed and breakfast, which will be open this Fall. I'm also opening another office, so that will be taking a bit of my time as well.

I love the summer, as the sun stays up longer!
    Wow! And I think I'm busy!
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Its the temp life for me..

Temp/Short term contract work, right now working on implementing several new IT things in an office. Being contract is great, since I am floating back and forth between home in Indiana and assisting family in Georgia. Parents in poor health, a sick brother, and a pregnant sister in law (currently a 10 person household) means lots of issues. So evenings spent coordinating appointments, addressing critical issues, and basically being the family administrator.. while traveling to assist a week here and there through out the spring and summer.

Crafting while watching my shows on the computer helps to keep me sane.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why the change back to a chain? Just curious. nosy... you know..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    I've been somewhat overwhelmed. I've been working 7 days a week for the last 5 years, and working on a 2nd Master's degree, this one in information systems. This takes up a lot of time, and my family and social relationships have taken a hit from it. On top of this are my SAO and Summit Team obligations, which are enjoyable and exciting, but further drain my resources and time.

I have enjoyed my opticianry career, but am not sure where to take it from here. I don't want to move for relationship reasons, but there isn't much around here to move up in this field. Also, I don't have the capital to start an optical shop, and wouldn't do it in the Columbia area for business reasons.

I'm beginning to think I may not be working in this field in a few years. There are opportunities for advancement, but they are few and they aren't local. Once the degree is completed, I will be looking at all opportunities, both within Opticianry/Optical and without.
    Wes if you are not a congressman,senator or President by the time your my age, I will be amazed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Summer is off and running here. All 3 kids active in summertime camps/activities with the oldest going on a big trip to Notre Dame later this week. Couple good Big Band gigs, and one symphony gig, looks like a great summer lining up.

The office seems to be picking up, especially sunglasses, yeaaaahhhh.
    Have a great summer, yo!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Here is a nasty summer that causes the so many problems for us and we are
    suffering a lot while working open field and sun through the heat directly to our
    body.

Thread Information