Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooden sunglass / eyeglass

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Wooden sunglass / eyeglass

Hey I'm starting to make wooden sunglasses , I could use some help with tools I may need. And tips I should know.. Appreciate some help.
    I bought a mix set of hinges with rivets and screws,,, I saw another post about a staking tool ill need
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    There is a recent startup in Grants Pass, OR. Face Furniture uses the world’s finest reclaimed exotic woods, recycled from our good friends at Benevente Guitars out of Southern Oregon. Every pair of glasses is built exclusively in Grants Pass, regon. We cut all of our frames with a scroll saw, go through 4 stages of sanding, 2 stages of routing, finish them off with a gloss wax, or oil finish, then finish sand, and finally the lenses are politely and lovingly inserted and engraved.

Check them out at http://toccataeyewear.com/

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The wooden sunglasses market is exploding. I can think of more than a dozen companies doing similar work. I love wooden frames but even I was overwhelmed with the amount of wooden frames at Expo and now it's being pushed even further with 2 companies incorporating slate and shale into their wooden frames and another from Finland that's incorporating cork. Anyone fathom a guess as to why the worldwide explosion in this particular little niche market?

Occupation
    I would suppose that there are some creative people that want to produce a non cookie cutter product and put a few bucks of money in their coin purses. Some retailers are looking for unique products to attract the carriage trade and put a few bucks of money in their coin purses.

The wealth of unique materials in the hands of a craftman can produce some really beautiful work.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Wood's been around for a long time though. In the last 2 or 3 years there's been a massive undercurrent going on. We've carried wooden frames for about 6 years or so but all of a sudden I seem to be overwhelmed with choice.

Occupation
    Back in the late 60's Safilo introduced a zyle frame called, if my demented memory serves, the "Monza." It was an immitation wood grain in black and brown. For about six months these frames flew off our frame board probably representing about half the mens frames we sold. The only other frame that we sold like this was the Safilo Goldman and Tura Mr. T which I still have.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Back in the late 60's Safilo introduced a zyle frame called, if my demented memory serves, the "Monza." It was an immitation wood grain in black and brown. For about six months these frames flew off our frame board probably representing about half the mens frames we sold. The only other frame that we sold like this was the Safilo Goldman and Tura Mr. T which I still have.

Neat. Recently I've noticed a lot of woodgrained zyls being released as well. IMHO Etnia Barcelona does it the best. I've had the lab call to ask me if I was sure it wasn't wood.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
    Hey I'm starting to make wooden sunglasses , I could use some help with tools I may need. And tips I should know.. Appreciate some help.
    I bought a mix set of hinges with rivets and screws,,, I saw another post about a staking tool ill need

Hilco would have the staking unit that you need, although check Ebay for a used one. Have fun with the project. There are a lot of wooden frames being made from hardwoods, recycled skateboards and laminated bamboo/hardwood. I've also seen someone making trim out of wood for the Ronsir/Nusir, etc. that looked kinda kewl.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Hilco would have the staking unit that you need, although check Ebay for a used one. Have fun with the project. There are a lot of wooden frames being made from hardwoods, recycled skateboards and laminated bamboo/hardwood. I've also seen someone making trim out of wood for the Ronsir/Nusir, etc. that looked kinda kewl.
    Hey thanks, I've seen a bunch of brands that make these. Which staking tool is best for wood frames?? I'd like to buy new.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Your best bet is to call Hilco and get their advice, they seem to be trustworthy. My own staker was made by AO about 40 - 50 years ago and I have really no info on anything newer.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There was an episode on shark tank with guys who are making wood frames. http://www.iwantproof.com/
    They also make them from old skateboard decks which is pretty awesome.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledzinator View Post
    There was an episode on shark tank with guys who are making wood frames. http://www.iwantproof.com/
    They also make them from old skateboard decks which is pretty awesome.
    We met up with those guys at VEE. They were just super nice so we bought everything. Really cool yet inexpensive. Lens quality could be better but for the price I can't complain.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah I really like the styles but I don't think they would do well for our office demographic. I may have to at least say hi if I go to VEW.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I LOVE these! Too bad they don't come in sizes that are melon-head friendly. I'm always looking for edgy/new styles. My only problem is that I have a big head and need 145mm temples.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I LOVE these! Too bad they don't come in sizes that are melon-head friendly. I'm always looking for edgy/new styles. My only problem is that I have a big head and need 145mm temples.
    Someone's bound to make one out of a redwood sooner or later.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Someone's bound to make one out of a redwood sooner or later.
    Hahaha! One can only hope!

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    <snipped>... and finally the lenses are politely and lovingly inserted and engraved.
    Ok, this caught my eye, and I gotta ask: how does one politely and lovingly insert a lens? Enquiring minds wish to know!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Neat. Recently I've noticed a lot of woodgrained zyls being released as well. IMHO Etnia Barcelona does it the best. I've had the lab call to ask me if I was sure it wasn't wood.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Try Etnia for a pumpkin head friendly wood grain ish frame, its not actual wood, but edken is right they look like it and they come in some pretty big sizes some of them :)

http://www.etniabarcelona.com/en/5-innsbruck-rd <-- i sold that style specifically to a similarly pumpkin headed person and he loved them :)
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by becc971 View Post
    Try Etnia for a pumpkin head friendly wood grain ish frame, its not actual wood, but edken is right they look like it and they come in some pretty big sizes some of them :)

http://www.etniabarcelona.com/en/5-innsbruck-rd <-- i sold that style specifically to a similarly pumpkin headed person and he loved them :)
    you may have started a bad thing becc! I absolutely would wear almost all of those colors too. My gf is not going to be pleased if I get a pair of purple frames that match her purple/black Juicys... hahaha this might start a war!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LOL oh noooo i've created a monster

i had a BLAST looking at this entire collection in person. the colors are tres amazing. and each frame comes in 9 ish. literally one for every outfit just put it on and rock it!! say "honey you shouldn't have bought purple frames when you KNEW i'd eventually want them" it always goes over well when you make it their fault ;)
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Ok, this caught my eye, and I gotta ask: how does one politely and lovingly insert a lens? Enquiring minds wish to know!!
    These guys are not opticians and really have no prior connection with the eyecare business therefore they have not been beaten down, abused and misused. They probably still work in an environment of love and fuzzy things. Having been laboring in the eye care vinyard for all these years you just would not understand.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    These guys are not opticians and really have no prior connection with the eyecare business therefore they have not been beaten down, abused and misused. They probably still work in an environment of love and fuzzy things. Having been laboring in the eye care vinyard for all these years you just would not understand.
    Try me. You might be surprised.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Try me. You might be surprised.

Video by Sires shows how flexible they can be. Here. http://www.sireseyewear.com/#!flexible-wood/crrl

*edit* on closer inspection it's more of a composite. Feb31 has a unique mounting concept but they kind of difficult to work with.
    Last edited by edKENdance; 06-06-2013 at 03:41 PM. Reason: clarity

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    yesterday i see a spectacular eyeglasses, completely make in wood ,really nice! you can find the information in the page www.vartez.com
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vartez nogal.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	11502

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vartez3.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	35.8 KB