Thread: Customer complaint after two years of wearing eyeglasses

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Customer complaint after two years of wearing eyeglasses

I have a customer after two years of wearing her glasses has all of a sudden developed problems with her eyeglasses. She keeps coming in for adjustments every second day saying they are not feeling good, they are to tight, they are leaving marks. I have adjusted them several times. During the process she told my staff that she went elsewhere and the professional told her that she was fit incorrectly and that there was no way he was going to touch them. He told her that even though the fram appears to fit properly her head is wider in the back so this was not a good fit. The eyewear fits perfectly fine (if it was improperly fit we would fix it). I don't know what to do. She has her benefits that kick in this month-- I am confused. This client has never had issues with the eyewear until recently. Any thoughts? My client appears that she has put on more weight and that may be one reason why it is snug around her temples (I did loosen it.) I am concerned that the frame is going to break after so many adjustments. HOw do i deal with this??? Any adjustment I do is not right. I have even left it the same to see if she notices. She comes in again with oh i think its to tight now. THe other professional told her that it was to small I believe-- I can assure you that it is not to small.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This other "professional" did you the disservice of disparaging your work, and unfortunately this customer has put stock in that advice. Nothing you do will fix the frames, she's convinced on "good authority" that they are wrong. The only way she will be happy is with different frames. It's up to you to decide how far you want to bend to accomodate this customer.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, unfortunately this "professional" did do a disservice to me. I am so dissappointed in this professional to make these bizarre remarks, I know that he is trying to get her to buy at his shop (I am fine with this if she does but take the client because you have something I can't offer don't misinform her!). I would be fine with his remarks if it were true! I would fix it no problem! Now she told me that she could get nerve damage because of the way it fits. Go Figure. Intelligent loss of business, you think?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How long has she been a customer at your establishment prior to two years ago as you stated?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well her first purchase was two years ago, she was completely a new client (even though I have been in business since 2003 we relocated to this new area 2.5 years ago.) She came back in to put frames on hold (she has been looking at these frames for several weeks at my store, since her issues with the adjustments )... will be purchasing them in two days.... um ... i don't get it... i am thinking that the other person might of been her provider prior to me... regardless this is just weird... i think i am thinking too much... will see what happens. I will not be replacing her eye-wear because I don't see any reason too. I am just trying to figure out how to handle her constant requests for adjustments. Any thoughts?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Ya can't win em all . . . Some days you eat the bear and some days the bear eats you. Put this petty situation out of your mind and go on with your life.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

simple answer

Everybody is trying to figure out the right answer. It's truly simple. Stop overthinking it. Just ask the customer, what she would like. You might be surprised by her answer. Give it to her. Every customer is worth 10 thousand dollars when you count their circle of influence, friends, family. You can't afford to lose a customer!!! That's foolish when people tell you that. Treat me right I tell a few people, treat me wrong, I tell everybody. Just simply ask the customer how she would like you to handle this and do it!! Every customer counts!! :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by marktheeyeguy View Post
    Everybody is trying to figure out the right answer. It's truly simple. Stop overthinking it. Just ask the customer, what she would like. You might be surprised by her answer. Give it to her. Every customer is worth 10 thousand dollars when you count their circle of influence, friends, family. You can't afford to lose a customer!!! That's foolish when people tell you that. Treat me right I tell a few people, treat me wrong, I tell everybody. Just simply ask the customer how she would like you to handle this and do it!! Every customer counts!! :)
    You are right. That is why I am continuing working with her. It will be okay. I just wanted a different perspective. And yes I will go on with my life.... this post was also for a bit of conversation I haven't posted for years. lol.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    You are right. That is why I am continuing working with her. It will be okay. I just wanted a different perspective. And yes I will go on with my life.... this post was also for a bit of conversation I haven't posted for years. lol.
    Plus I wonder if this lady has had 'other issues' that have happened in her life.....health issues (besides the weight gain?), maybe family issues, etc. Every once in a while, we would have a customer who was just not happy, and got focused on the eyewear being the reason why and all of a sudden became 'problem patients.'

If it worked for two years, you have to point that out nicely, so they can start thinking about other things that could be going on for them as well. The other professional may or may not have been trying to cause a problem. Maybe they really thought they had found her problem. (We all know that none of us are a 'perfect match' to supplying every person's needs. It's the reason we have so many different types of people, looking after people in different ways.)

Lol, or maybe they were trying to cause a problem. Of course, always asking people what they would like is an excellent solution, as mentioned before. Then you can decide if the desired action is worth keeping a patient or not. In 35 years of being in business, I can count on one hand the times that we decided the problems a patient were causing for us WERE NOT worth their business. And we sat down and wrote them a check for their purchase in full. (This usually only happened within a few weeks/ or months of purchase.) When we did that, they 'might' still talk about us, but it totally diffused their 'righteousness' so if anything was said, it was done with a lot less fervor, since they really were not 'out' anything at all. :-)
    Mother Theresa - MRS. "CoolOptican"

Most of our so-called reasoning consists in finding arguments for going on believing as we already do. —
    James Harvey Robinson

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by marktheeyeguy View Post
    .... Every customer is worth 10 thousand dollars when you count their circle of influence, friends, family. You can't afford to lose a customer!!! That's foolish when people tell you that. Treat me right I tell a few people, treat me wrong, I tell everybody. Just simply ask the customer how she would like you to handle this and do it!! Every customer counts!! :)
    I strongly disagree with this....Customer loyalty , for the most part, is a thing of the past....There is a core group of people that will be repeat customers, provided that they are happy with your service....and there are many others who dont care who they deal with.

Every customer doesnt count, if they are more trouble than they are worth...cut them loose.

If I were the op, I would not be prolonging the agony of dealing with this woman. I would be telling her that there isnt anything else that I can do for her and wish her better luck elsewhere.

Coming back repeatedly to see the op, and not having the issue resolved only makes the op look incompetent, in the customer's eyes.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Psyc.......Analysis 1. It is possible she is justifying a new purchase, either to the OP, and with the hope it will quailify for a "I'm not satisfied discount".

or
    Analysis 2. .....to a spouse who may not approve of a new purchase unless the old glasses are no longer functional or comfortable. It sounds like she might be playing the "complain to everyone in sight" card.
    Analysis 3. Look for the big glowing M in the middle of the forehead, too.
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    Psyc.......Analysis 1. It is possible she is justifying a new purchase, either to the OP, and with the hope it will quailify for a "I'm not satisfied discount".

or
    Analysis 2. .....to a spouse who may not approve of a new purchase unless the old glasses are no longer functional or comfortable. It sounds like she might be playing the "complain to everyone in sight" card.
    Analysis 3. Look for the big glowing M in the middle of the forehead, too.
    +1. I love a good uncut countdown. :)
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    IDK what the cause is, but in 23 years I have seen it happen more than a few times. It's like they are doing GREAT and then 1 misalignment and all Hell breaks loose and it seems like Mission Impossible to get it comfortable again. A few things I have noticed....People do swell in the heat. When someone complains about someone ELSE saying the frame is too small because look how they need to be adjusted, I very nicely explain that faces come in all shapes and sizes. Although the front is perfectly proportioned to the width of the front of the face, some people are wider in the back(like my husband, who I affectionately call my "pumpkinhead"). To further prove the point, go grab a frame that is as wide as they think they need and show them how you may not need to open the temples, but it is crazy-big on them. Good luck!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks ur an awesome bunch! Will see what I can do.

Thread Information