Thread: Evil Empire

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Evil Empire

Had a patient in yesterday who had an eyewire screw come loose on his new RayBans which he had obtained at the Evil Empire. He was told that they would replace the whole pair of glasses for $50.00 under his warranty. No mention was made that the frame was warrantied for free for a year or two by the Evil Empire's owner, no offer was made to replace the lens only (about $ 20 retail).

How bout them apples?

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Was it just a loose screw, or did the loose screw result in the lens falling out and chipping and/or scratching? Also, were they planos or Rx'd?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lens fell out and broke, Plano.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Confused

For a non-yank who the heck are the "evil empire" ????

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar
    I have a feeling that Chip is referring to LensCrafters.

Bad address email on file Tim Hunter's Avatar
    Phew that's a relief I thought he was talking about us Brits!!!

Nah not really:D

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Chip'

I am a lux rep

LC gives only 30 days warantty on all purchases. Or you can buy extended coverage if you would like.

I don't have one independent customer that gives the patient more than one year but Luxottica gives two!

LC is fast food that is why they do things like that! Their customers are not loyal and they know that!

Would you prefer that LC gives the customer a two year warantty? I think not!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I used to work at the LC in Chip's town. The initial 30 day guarantee covers darn near anything. The breakage protection plan (which requires a $50 if and when it is used) covers any accidental breakage. The manufacturer's warranty (one year according to Ray Ban) only covers manufacturer's defects. I doubt a loose screw would fall in that category.
    I always kept a box of RayBan lenses that Rx customers didn't want, but it was not an all-inclusive collection.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ditto Blake's box of lenses at my LC store. We've had lots of people return to purchase because we GAVE them a replacement plano lens. And if we dont have the spare, they at least get to watch us trying to find one. The good effort counts with some people.

Every pair of non-rx frames can be replaced at the option of the customer for a period of one year, for $50 plus local tax. We repair anything we can, without charge. We adjust anything we can, without charge. You bought it somewhere else? No matter.

And no loyal customers? I have people who followed me thru 2 store changes, for 8 years now....and they often call to find out if I am working. AND I am not the only one at my store with this kind of "following". Our customers appreciate the training our staff has received. And they appreciate the respect they get, adjustment, or sale, when they come to see us. Maybe it is not this way at every LensCrafter store, but the goal of management is to make it so.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My main point was the lens retails for $ 10.00 ea. with no warranty so why screw the patient for $ 50.00? Of course I must temper this with I think LC made a profit last year and I didn't.

Chip

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip,

Not every LC store made a profit last year. There were more than a few that would have been belly up had it not been for the sheer number of profitable stores that propped them up.

I'm glad they're stingy with their returns. It allows us to shine. By the way, the fact that you heard this story probably means that you ended up the hero...right.

Thanks LC ! Keep it up !!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Im usually the kind of guy that steers clear of truble and never really rubbed elbows with LC until early this summer.

A guy purchased eyewear from me (Frame, Varilux Panamic, Transition, & Crizal) A few weeks later he is influenced by an advertisement for their $99.00 sunwear sweetheart deal.

He informs the "Salesperson" he wants to upgrade to Varilux lenses. The salesperson informs him he is NOT wearing Varilux lenses and therefore can expect to see just as well with the LC PAL clone. Consequently a lab tech and another employee also looked at the lazer marks and concured he was not wearing a Varilux Lens telling him if it was a Varilux lens the nasal lazer stamp would be initialed with a V.

30 Minutes later the guy comes blazing through my doors telling me that 3 people told him he was not wearing the Varilux brand lenses which he paid for. Upon careful review of the Lazer marks, checking my invoices, and putting a call into my lab, we determined he indeed was wearing exactly what we ordered.

Now, who does the guy believe, 3 employees of a billion dollar company or 1 honest professional?
    So I called the LC store, explained the situation to the manager, recommended they get a current OLA PAL identification book and demanded them to admit their mistake to the patient. Two days later the guy shows up told me the manager contacted him with an apology and bought another pair of polarized sunwear from me for less than the LC sweetheart deal.

Just my experience.

Kevin

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great story Kevin.

For the most part, I've found most employees of LC to be pretty decent folks. Twice in the last month, when I've called for an Rx, the LC employee on the other line has asked if we were hiring! I guess it pays to keep the lines of communication open.

Thread Information