Thread: IQ SL2 A-Axis problems. Please someone help!!!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Crier IQ SL2 A-Axis problems. Please someone help!!!

Ever since Gerber Coburn packed their bags and left Australia (around 2009-10) there are no qualified technicians with decent knowledge about the IQ SL2 here. I'm nearly out of patience. I have a problem with my Gerber Coburn IQ SL2. Out of the blue one day the computer decided that it would play hard ball. Upon booting the program an error pops up on the screen with "A-Axis is not functioning properly. (1)" After further investigations and playing around with it i noticed that the alarm light on the A-Axis servopack was lit. Also the spindle overshot itself at the homing position and was depressing the sensor on the Y-Axis track. The manual (handbook) was useless so i called an electrician to have a look. He tested all the wiring coming from the servo motor to the servopack and it was all good. I decided to buy bits and pieces for it to try to pinpoint the cause. I got a new servo motor, which wasn't the problem. I'm currently waiting on a new servopack. Someone suggested that it could be the motion control board inside the computer, a loose wiring somewhere or a computer program error. I don't know what to do and this machine has served me well since 1996. Can anyone suggest something or know of this problem please i would love to hear from you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    The magnescale has gone bad..might be damaged or wiring issue..it is attached to the rail and this how the servopack is able to determine location. I had to replace mine and found that both the magnescale and servopack must be replaced as a unit since they are calibrated or tuned together.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by PRECISIONLAB View Post
    The magnescale has gone bad..might be damaged or wiring issue..it is attached to the rail and this how the servopack is able to determine location. I had to replace mine and found that both the magnescale and servopack must be replaced as a unit since they are calibrated or tuned together.

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like you've had this problem before. You replaced the servopack and magnescale together and did this solve your problem? Im waiting on a servopack as we speak, but im not sure as to where to purchase a sony magnescale PH-100? My dilemma is that I did get the generator going by freak luck and kept it on for two weeks while i was waiting for parts. Odd I know. But it sh1t itself again when i had to turn the generator off to install a new servo motor. This leads me to think it could be a wiring issue or whatever or everything that is linked to A-Axis. Any other suggestions/stories of past experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

a axis

Quote Originally Posted by teepee View Post
    Thanks for your reply. It sounds like you've had this problem before. You replaced the servopack and magnescale together and did this solve your problem? Im waiting on a servopack as we speak, but im not sure as to where to purchase a sony magnescale PH-100? My dilemma is that I did get the generator going by freak luck and kept it on for two weeks while i was waiting for parts. Odd I know. But it sh1t itself again when i had to turn the generator off to install a new servo motor. This leads me to think it could be a wiring issue or whatever or everything that is linked to A-Axis. Any other suggestions/stories of past experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    If memory serves me I Believe a axis is your chuck I would start by checking if coupler between chuck servo motor and chuck assembly isn't loose....I did so using a marquer I marked a spot on coupler and on shaft run a job and see if its still at same place. I belive there is no magnascale for a axis only for x and y wich are the vertical and horizontal movement.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Another thing you can do is power machine off open door where computer is and the 2 green panels where all little wires pluged into unplug both green blocks with all the wires it just pulls off.. be carefull not to breaks little wires then plug back and when you plug back in push on it from center working your way outwards.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    You have problem with SL2 Software, the computer have two programe : DOS Ver 6.22 : Operating Systems and SL2 software
    When you have problem you have to :
    Update SL2 software : save SL2_2.15 to 1.44 disk and update from SL2 software
    if still have same problem, blue servopack have problem, you have to update Blue Amp from SL2 software

good luck
    P/S : Pls contact me : ksminhhau@yahoo.com I will to send the file of Software later.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Teepee, In the past, your machine has been broken down, you resolved this problem, wasn't it? if your machine can not run, do you want to sale it?
    Last edited by MINH HAU; 10-05-2015 at 09:51 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hey, I want to buy second hand machines : Satisloh, anybody have please inform for me. Thanks.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Thanks! This thread helps.

Thread Information