Thread: In Memorium

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

In Memorium

Allen Jarnot, 72, passed on April 19th.
    Michael Olson, 71, passed on April 20th.

It was my honor and pleasure to know both of these men. Both in their own right taught me a great deal about the ophthalmic industry from different sides of the coin.

Allen Jarnot was Plant Superintendent at Vision Ease until retirement in 2001. He worked at the Precision-Cosmet (formerly Minoco Lens) plant in St. Stephan, and it was under his tutelage that I learned many of the technical aspects of glass bifocal lens manufacturing.

Michael (Mike) Olson was founder and owner of Look Optical in Sauk Rapids, later in St. Cloud. He was one of the early supporters of my efforts to computerize the optical business in the local market and taught me how hands-on manufacturing is different from mere book learning.

Both men will be missed.

I will raise a glass in their honor tonight. Rest easy, my friends, your work here is finished.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Gold Supporter Mick's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I did not know these men, but it is wonderful to know that there are those out there who are willing to teach those following in their footsteps the knowledge they have learned. All too often there are those that fail to teach their skills to those just learning the trade. Long ago when I was just beginning the optical trade, the "old timers" that really knew their skill were willing to teach, and those that didn't really excel were more secretive and would not teach us youngsters until forced to. Mike, you were really fortunate to have had these fine men teaching you.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry to hear of the loss of your friends and mentors.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information