Thread: No forum for consumer advice?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Question No forum for consumer advice?

Hello all,

I signed up hoping to ask about some problems I'm having with my new prescription eyeglasses, however there doesn't seem to be anywhere for me to post on this forum?

Can anyone direct me to a place I can ask an Eyecare Professional about the issues I'm having? I have already discussed this with the company where I purchased the glasses, but I would like a 2nd opinion if possible.

This is regarding some -6.5 Hoya Active 8 1.67 Lenses purchased in Canada.

If anyone can assist me, it would be much apprecaited.

Thanks,
    Dave

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Dave,

Here is the thing- if I was going to trouble shoot glasses for you I would need you directly in front of me for so many reasons besides just a conversation about your glasses. A good Optician needs to lay hands on the glasses and preferably, your previous pair. We need to take measurements, ask questions, and basically spend time getting to know you before we can come to any hypothesis as to why you are struggling with your glasses.

Too many variables are present and if we came up with guesses based on very little information it would serve no purpose- I promise you'd be more confused after reading an entire thread of information than you are now.

Something that struck me as strange is that you said you broached the issue with the "company" where you got your glasses. Not the Optician who fit you. If you don't have a reliable Optician who can claim responsibility for your fit then that might be your first problem.

I hope you understand our position.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Thank you for your input, I completely understand.

I did purchase the glasses from an Optician (new to me), and have discussed the problems with the person who assisted me through the process. She has relayed my concerns to the Optician, who has said the issues sound 'normal' and to give it more time to get used to them.

I have given it plenty of time now, and I can't see how the issues I have could be considered normal. Before pursuing the issue further with them I wanted to see if I could get some feedback/information from a 3rd party, and hopefully educate myself in the process.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can totally understand your frustration- Nobody likes feeling like their voice isn't heard. I also commend you on your desire to learn more about how we fit glasses and why some lense work better than others. Rarely do we get that kind of interest, most people's eyes glaze over when we talk shop!

I would love to try to help you if you were closer. I think a second opinion is not a bad idea. I just think a face to face is going to be more helpful for everyone involved. Good luck, I hope you can get this issue resolved.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Thread Information