Thread: Affordable vision care software

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Affordable vision care software

I am looking for easy to use optical software. Something that is affordable, and easy to use!!! I will use it for 3 computers. I don't care if it is web based, or pc based. I need some pricing options if you could help me! thanks so much!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What options/tasks do you need the software to do?

What do you want (but don't need) it to do?

How current is your technology? (computers and equipment if you are wanting to use equip interfaces)

And what is price range are you looking for?
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I want to do recalls, nothing with money or inventory. have dr record and patient info, and something for notes, as well at what the patient ordered, but I don't want the software to order it. print of receipts of needed, and or rx's.......something easy to use I have windows 7 can go to 8 if needed, I have 4 pcs in the office. price range under a 1000. thanks for responding!
    Grateful to be what I am, and not pretending to be someone I am not!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Microsoft Office will meet all of your stated needs.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How? Can you show me, I would gladly pay you for a finished product?

Thanks.

Erhalt1

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Before I go through any lengthy suggestion/process... can I ask what software if any are you using now?

What is your recall process (postcards/letters, preappoint or no, etc) ?
    What are you using for inventory and financial management?

Are you just wanting to have a way to store the info or do you want it easily searchable?

If you just want to have something as simple as a .pdf that can either be filled out on the computer or scanned in, searchable by patient name.. simple to do.

If you want something that you can search in multiple ways for multiple things..for example how many of frame X did I sell.. than that is another.
    Both can be done with office, one just take a bit more work than the other. Anyone have any experience, familiarity with Access or Excel in your office?

Just a few quick thoughts..

At its most basic level, what you need is a good database. Patient info that you can use for mail merge documents for recall, notes, inventory/record of sales. You can always scan in the exam record (well any document) into a database and make them searchable by patient name. This can be done with several pieces of software ranging from $$$$ to free. However there are a lot of folks who aren't familiar working/creating databases, and it would take a bit of time to set up.

If there is the desire to have the financial capabilities, Quickbooks can also do an excellent job in the realm of patient management including recall. I actually used QB for this patient management and inventory before I implemented My Vision Express several years ago. This is how I would lean. For exams you can either upload the form or create a "fillable" document so the doc can type it direct into the computer but have a standardized set up/feel.

Filemaker Pro (current version is 12 I believe) is a popular one for those who like to have an easy interface to creating their own database. It is theoretically possible to create an "exam" form to record.

I know there are other ways to do it as well. However my brain has already gone to sleep before the rest of me has..
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Microsoft Office will meet all of your stated needs.

I know let me look at all of your writing and I will repost tomorrow!!

Jubilee thanks!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    Before I go through any lengthy suggestion/process... can I ask what software if any are you using now?

What is your recall process (postcards/letters, preappoint or no, etc) ?
    What are you using for inventory and financial management?

Are you just wanting to have a way to store the info or do you want it easily searchable?

If you just want to have something as simple as a .pdf that can either be filled out on the computer or scanned in, searchable by patient name.. simple to do.

If you want something that you can search in multiple ways for multiple things..for example how many of frame X did I sell.. than that is another.
    Both can be done with office, one just take a bit more work than the other. Anyone have any experience, familiarity with Access or Excel in your office?

Just a few quick thoughts..

At its most basic level, what you need is a good database. Patient info that you can use for mail merge documents for recall, notes, inventory/record of sales. You can always scan in the exam record (well any document) into a database and make them searchable by patient name. This can be done with several pieces of software ranging from $$$$ to free. However there are a lot of folks who aren't familiar working/creating databases, and it would take a bit of time to set up.

If there is the desire to have the financial capabilities, Quickbooks can also do an excellent job in the realm of patient management including recall. I actually used QB for this patient management and inventory before I implemented My Vision Express several years ago. This is how I would lean. For exams you can either upload the form or create a "fillable" document so the doc can type it direct into the computer but have a standardized set up/feel.

Filemaker Pro (current version is 12 I believe) is a popular one for those who like to have an easy interface to creating their own database. It is theoretically possible to create an "exam" form to record.

I know there are other ways to do it as well. However my brain has already gone to sleep before the rest of me has..
    we are not working with any software now. we would like something for tabs on the top. maybe 4.......1, patient info notes 2, patient dr info 3, rx including patients frame and lenses including what was paid. 4, notes.... something like that, I would like it to have fields where each part you just fill in, we do post cards, so I would like to be able to get a 1-3 year option to print out lables for recall. thanks is just about it. pretty simple. I am not anygood at setting these things up, I would be willing to pay someone to do this if possible. thanks
    Grateful to be what I am, and not pretending to be someone I am not!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Use Excel, make a 1 sheet at first to serve as a template of what you want. Add/rename the tabs on the bottom for each category you're needing then save file as last, first 800-555-1212.xls in a folder on the file server.

Each new patient pull up the template, add the patient info and re-save under the patient name/phone.

Thread Information