Thread: Real Life Optics Technologies: Essilor Digital Wrap

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Real Life Optics Technologies: Essilor Digital Wrap

Am taking a risk here, but I sincerely need info as there seem to be no "Digital Wrap" in the Essilor website despite my eyecare professional having Essilor printed material of it.

Having said that, let me just reiterate that I seriously NEED info about this product. Mind you I live in a part of the world where "refunds" are not allowed as a matter of practice, so if ever I do get the Essilor Digital Wrap and it performs badly, then I get no refunds. Hence, my reluctance to discuss this with the qualified eyecare professional who has examined me as per forum rules.

The risk I am taking is obvious, I am a first time thread maker to this site, and already I am probably breaking the forum rules with this post.

This post has also been posted here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...1#post34263340

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    First chapter, a background on my story:

I bought a Rudy Project impactx photochromic polarized shades a few years back (it is an old model by now). It is supposed to be made of the same material that apache helicopter windshields are made of, or something like that.

Plus, its got a removable Rx frame behind the shades that you can snap back in, so you could use it with your prescription lenses.

But, they withheld vital info: Rx lenses that corrects for astigmatism that are bent like shades will result in aberrations (distortions) since astigmatism correction relies on the distinct lens curvature that Rx lenses all have.

So, that being the case, I learned all about aberration and such the hard way. I already bought the product, but never truly used it. And I never adapted to it. That's false advertising for you, and it was very expensive for me.

Second Chapter, a few years later:

A few years later, new optics technologies have been developed. Particularly the Essilor Digital Wrap has been suggested to me by my optometrist. Its suppose to digitally calculate and "forge" Rx lenses that even if it is "wrapped around the face like shades" that it would not result in aberrations.

My mom visited her ophthalmologist last week, and I went with her. He is a very high-profile eye-doctor in a high-profile hospital, not an optometrist in an eyewear shop in a mall. I told him about this new tech and he told me that he is seldom, if ever, impressed by these new optics tech. In fact, optical tech companies like Essilor, Seiko, Nikon, Shamir, etc gives him samples (I believed customized for him), and he is not "wowed" by it.

As for the Digital Wrap, he said that even if it is digitally manufactured with all the unique parameters of the individual taken in, since the Rx lens is physically bend behind the impactx shades, and even if the value of the bending is included in the computation, it would probably result in reduced aberrations, and not zero aberrations at best.

Chapter Three, for the sake of argument:

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that the Digital Wrap does work wonders, would I be able to use it for the whole day or will it be not comfortable later in the day?
    Last edited by VGI; 04-07-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    As per the OptiBoard Posting Guidelines:

This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum and non-optical topics only. Please be aware that any questions involving optics or eyecare may be removed. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information