Thread: Zeiss choice progressive

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Zeiss choice progressive

Has anyone used it yet? thoughts? opinions? I don't really know much about it yet, and I was looking to hear what y'all thought so far.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I quizzed the Zeiss reps at Vision Expo, Darryl was not in the booth. They said the lenses were exactly like the GT2-3D except for the option of more corridor lengths. However, they said the only difference between the Choice and Choice Plus was only the extension to a 21 mm fixed fitting height.

However, on reading later the claims for both lenses are different in the marketing material.... slightly. I don't think the reps had a good grasp of the product details, and I would suspect improvements that are not listed. The improvements are probably less expensive than a name change. I hope they improved the one weakness of the GT2-3D, the narrow reading zone. Other than that it was a great lens.

I haven't tried the Choice series yet, but its on my list. Shaw Lens, Seiko Supernal, and Definity are next though on my to do list.

Series Recap:
    Choice -- Value based Fully Free-form with 4 corridor lengths
    Choice Plus -- Full Free-form with 5 corridor lengths
    Choice V -- Variable height Full Free-form (I suggest using variable corridor lenses when you have higher adds AND shorter segs)

Darryl, can you share real information on the new Choice Series? Is there any improvement over the GT2-3D?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Darryl? Can you tell us more about the Choice Series, whether its just like the great GT2-3D or if it contains improvements besides more fitting heights? And what the real differences are between the Choice and Choice Plus? Thanks

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From what I can gather, the Choice is like the GT23D, and the Choice + adds in their CORE algorithm for center of rotation. You described above the basics for the difference between the three Choice products.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick
    Can you tell us more about the Choice Series, whether its just like the great GT2-3D or if it contains improvements besides more fitting heights? And what the real differences are between the Choice and Choice Plus?
    I don't know that there is much to add to the earlier posts.

ZEISS Progressive Choice V is very similar to ZEISS GT2 3Dv, which it more or less replaces. The design uses the same basic fingerprint, although there have been a few design enhancements as a result of some development work for Progressive Individual 2, including improved reading utility. This is a variable corridor length product based upon the specified fitting height. The product is optically optimized for the wearer's prescription requirements assuming an average position of wear. So we say "customized" for the prescription.

ZEISS Progressive Choice Plus uses the same basic design fingerprint, but is available in 5 specific corridor lengths that the ECP can choose, with minimum fitting heights of 13, 15, 17, 19, and 21 mm. As with Choice Plus V, the product is optically optimized for the wearer's prescription requirements assuming an average position of wear. And the center of rotation distance is accurately estimated as with Individual 2. So we again say "customized" for the prescription. Choice Plus and Choice Plus V are supplied with a compensated prescription.

ZEISS Progressive Choice also uses the same basic design fingerprint, but is only available in 4 corridor lengths with minimum fitting heights of 13, 15, 17, and 19 mm. Choice (basic) is optically optimized for the wearer's prescription requirements, but this optimization is constrained at the measurement points in order to deliver the specified focimeter powers (that is, no compensated Rx). So we say that this product is "optimized" for the prescription in order to differentiate it from the other two. We do not claim any improved calculation of the center of rotation distance for this product either.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here is some more detailed information on the Zeiss Choice Lens Series.

Last edited by Judy Canty; 04-01-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Thanks, that says a lot more than the people in the booth, or the marketing material does.

So to recap... ALL: improved reading utility... = better reading
    The Choice series.. basic free-form, no center of rotation, not fully compensated, 4 fitting heights
    The Choice Plus Series... intermediate Free-form, customized compensations based on the RX, center of rotation, 5 fitting heights
    Choice Plus -V: ... variable corridor version of the Plus, perfect for the smoothest most customized progression and declination, esp for higher add powers.

The Individual 2... Advanced Free-form, fully customized and individualized with POW, custom design options (Reading, Int, Distance), individualized corridor for each RX and near PD

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post

I don't know that there is much to add to the earlier posts.

ZEISS Progressive Choice V is very similar to ZEISS GT2 3Dv, which it more or less replaces. The design uses the same basic fingerprint, although there have been a few design enhancements as a result of some development work for Progressive Individual 2, including improved reading utility. This is a variable corridor length product based upon the specified fitting height. The product is optically optimized for the wearer's prescription requirements assuming an average position of wear. So we say "customized" for the prescription.

ZEISS Progressive Choice Plus uses the same basic design fingerprint, but is available in 5 specific corridor lengths that the ECP can choose, with minimum fitting heights of 13, 15, 17, 19, and 21 mm. As with Choice Plus V, the product is optically optimized for the wearer's prescription requirements assuming an average position of wear. And the center of rotation distance is accurately estimated as with Individual 2. So we again say "customized" for the prescription. Choice Plus and Choice Plus V are supplied with a compensated prescription.

ZEISS Progressive Choice also uses the same basic design fingerprint, but is only available in 4 corridor lengths with minimum fitting heights of 13, 15, 17, and 19 mm. Choice (basic) is optically optimized for the wearer's prescription requirements, but this optimization is constrained at the measurement points in order to deliver the specified focimeter powers (that is, no compensated Rx). So we say that this product is "optimized" for the prescription in order to differentiate it from the other two. We do not claim any improved calculation of the center of rotation distance for this product either.

Best regards,
    Darryl

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    that says a lot more than the people in the booth, or the marketing material does
    Keep in mind that there are separate product brochures for ZEISS Progressive Choice and Progressive Choice Plus, so the Progressive Choice (basic) brochure will not describe features that are only available on the Progressive Choice Plus product, such as the center of rotation technology. Otherwise, these two product brochures provide all of this information (at least in Marketing speak) as well as the anticipated near zone and progressive corridor dimensions for each design (for a Plano Rx, +2.00 Add).

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Just so you are aware, the person in the Zeiss booth claimed the Choice and Choice Plus were IDENTICAL (except for the 21mm in the Plus), and offered NO improvements anywhere over the GT2-3D. It didn't make sense to me, so I even asked her twice.

Glad to know that Ziess has improved the already great GT2-3D.

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    Keep in mind that there are separate product brochures for ZEISS Progressive Choice and Progressive Choice Plus, so the Progressive Choice (basic) brochure will not describe features that are only available on the Progressive Choice Plus product, such as the center of rotation technology. Otherwise, these two product brochures provide all of this information (at least in Marketing speak) as well as the anticipated near zone and progressive corridor dimensions for each design (for a Plano Rx, +2.00 Add).

Best regards,
    Darryl

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Just so you are aware, the person in the Zeiss booth claimed the Choice and Choice Plus were IDENTICAL (except for the 21mm in the Plus), and offered NO improvements anywhere over the GT2-3D.
    The basic lens designs (distribution of power and astigmatism) are identical, although Progressive Choice Plus offers a slightly higher degree of customization due to the center of rotation calculation and the fact that the Rx powers are not constrained at the measurement points, in addition to the extra corridor length.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Thread Information