Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charging to view

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Charging to view

I just read a story on internet that a gourmet food store ,in Australia, is now charging $5.00 to browse thru the store. The principal being that the people are coming in...browsing... taking note of the product and price and leaving tp purchase online. If you buy from the store there will be no charge. SALVATION""""WE ARE SAVED""""" We can now charge for showrooming our frames.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Sounds strange, but everything is possible in the era of internet and online world.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is going to backfire.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Consumers who "just want to look" in *any* store are OK! It's really about intent.

If they come in knowing they will/might compare prices with online, but want to see what attracts/suits them in the flesh, and take the sku info for any product out with them are...

STEALING JUST THE SAME AS ANY THIEF!

It is THEFT OF SERVICE, plain and simple.

Period. End of story.

If this whole concept offends thee and thy shopping habits, too bad.

It is real and tangible. And yes, I am passionate about it!

Although I recognize it is not a clear cut situation in all circumstances, \The way the media forgives this type of consumer behavior is just plain screwy. It is NOT a level playing field. Store are 3D. Online is (of yet) NOT.

Just cause you don't get caught doesn't make it right.

Yep.

B

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think it's brilliant.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Funny, I just read an article on a Vera Wang Boutique in Shanghai is charging $500 to try on a dress for 90 minutes (no photos allowed). If the bride-to-be purchases, then the $500 is deducted off the purchase price. Article says the do it because knock-offs are so rampant and it weeds out those that aren't really interested in spending that kind of money.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can see it now........Big, burly bouncer at the front door of my optical..

" S'cuse me mam, 5 dollar cover charge. Here, I gotta stamp your hand so if you go out to use the bathroom I can let you back in." "Oh yea, I need you to leave you're iphone with me. No pictures allowed."

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Fastest way to go out of business I've ever heard of.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Costco gets away with charging people to walk in the store. Look how successful they are.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Costco gets away with charging people to walk in the store. Look how successful they are.
    Touche'
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    This is brilliant. They got tons of publicity, and while no one wants free kittens, a lot of people will give you $10 for one. Snobs will love to pay to browse.
    They're going to make money hand over fist.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Betcha they serve free coffee with dat!
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Costco offers value for that entrance fee in the form of huge discounts. Are they prepared to offer the same?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I dunno about huge discounts...Sure they offer eyeglasses and contacts real cheap, (aren't we lucky) but their other stuff...?? If you want to buy an outdoor grill for example, it's all better stuff for a higher price than you could get in Home Depot or K mart. I don't know about you all, but I don't need a $1200 stainless steel grill with six burners rusting away in my yard, The $199 model at Home Depot serves me well for five years. Even their fresh meats, which are pretty good, you get a small discount but have to buy a ton of a single item. In the long run, it doesn't really save money IMHO.

After you factor in the quantity you have to buy, the storage space you need at home, the fact that you have to freeze your meats and eat frozen meat, unused stuff that you basically throw away, like three year old ibuprofen.,,,I dunno.

They certainly give the perception of cheap, and they do have certain loss leader items like glasses and contacts, but they are making money hand over fist, and its not from selling cheap stuff. I think impulse buying of higher end stuff is their secret.

BTW, I don't think charging even two cents to get into an optical dispensary to look around is going to work...unless you are Costco, of course.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Wow, 'ol Vera didn't hang in there with that idea for very long, did she?? Ideas like Vera's stem from a major lack of integrity on the part of a handful of people who don't have an original thought and feel the need to "knock-off/steal" someone else's pattern/idea. I understand being inspired by someone to create your own designs, but why copy the design exactly like the original?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, the way this business has been headed, I don't think we would need to be too embarassed if we just went ahead a put in $0.25 viewing booths. Hmm...perhaps call them "Peeper Shows"?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That was a well thought out marketing plan !!! Fantastic publicity ! Well worth doing !

An excellent job of branding at no cost worldwide , they successfully reaffirmed their "originals cost money and are only available here" quality while taking a punch at on liners worldwide and again with no cost.

It is noted that the retort by copiers is to admit they steal.

Lets fire our licensing people and hire Vera Wang's marketing people and put our license fees to a proper use !!
    Last edited by idispense; 03-27-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It does, however, make charging for professional services a little more palatable.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    So while Warby Parker and other onliners offer free, at home try-on, we're considering charging to look around the store... where the patient has already driven, thereby using gas.

So the choice comes down to:

1) The company that lets me try stuff on in the comfort of my own home, at my convenience, at no cost

2) The company that I have to drive to, use up time and gas money on, and then charges me to look around the store

We're walking right into it...

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    The fact is, you will never stop lookie loo's. Never. All you can do is try to convert them to a sale, and if they aren't interested, wish them a fine day and concentrate on the patient who DOES want to buy from you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No, I can't imagine charging to look around the store. Seems a bit unreasonable to me, but I do think these articles point at something that is bigger than just "online eyeglasses." I think retailers, across the board, are seeing a real change in buying habits of their customer and it's actually starting to have some negative effects. They're trying to find a way to protect what they have worked hard for. Personally, I don't think charging to look around is the best answer, but it is certainly a jumping-off point for brain-storming.

Bad address email on file Randle Tibbs, ABOM's Avatar
    Occupation
    We are as a whole, complaining and whining about on-lines eyeglass sales and truth be known, we all would love to see it regulated. But on a similar note, how many of us purchase other items on line to save money. Not trying to compare buying a hammer on line to purchasing eyeglasses on line, but the bottom line is we are not really complaining about the fact of safety or quality, but of losing sales to on line stores and many of us are guilty of purchasing on line and putting some other mom and pop out of business.....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Randle Tibbs, ABOM View Post
    We are as a whole, complaining and whining about on-lines eyeglass sales and truth be known, we all would love to see it regulated. But on a similar note, how many of us purchase other items on line to save money. Not trying to compare buying a hammer on line to purchasing eyeglasses on line, but the bottom line is we are not really complaining about the fact of safety or quality, but of losing sales to on line stores and many of us are guilty of purchasing on line and putting some other mom and pop out of business.....
    +1

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What we are complaining about is not having a USP, a Unique Selling Proposition, and not having out of the box thinkers as leaders.

Thread Information