Thread: Optikam Pad measuring system

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Optikam Pad measuring system

Does anybody have an opinion (boy, that's a dumb question) or experience with the Optikam Pad measuring system for frame and lens measurements? Does anyone have anything favorable to report with a different system?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Barry is writing an article on all the systems soon. It should be good.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I currently own an optikam kiosk and will be getting the Optikam IPad app next week. I used the app this past weekend while I was in New York. While I was at the Optikam booth, I was able to get acclimated quickly and then did about 70 demonstrations during the three day show while I was there. I have been going to VEE and VEW for the past 6 years as a live testimonial for Optikam. I am a huge supporter and advocate for their system. I speak first hand on it's effect on our business over that time, the accuracy of the the centration module and how patient appreciate all the modules that make up the whole dispensing system. I think the app offers many of the same benefits as the kiosk with a fraction of the price. Many other apps I tested and compared at both VEE this year and at VEW last year I found a huge difference in the consistency and precision from the Optikam app. I feel many of the other apps I could munipulate the heights and Monoclar PDs from changing my head posture and many other apps required two three or four pictures from different angles to get all the measurements. The Optikam Ipad app work similar to the Kiosk and only require one picture to get all 10 measurements and detects parallax and captures head posture to insure accurate, consistent measurements. Feel free to call me if you have any questions, 732-278-2622 cell or 732-350-1900 office.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I have dubious feeling regarding the flood of apps and measuring devices. Most Auto Refractors give terrible PD measurments with the patients head in the fixed position with the chin on a mount and the patient holding still. How much worse will measurements be where the patient does't have a strap for their chin or bar for their forehead? Posture and incedental movement will destroy measurements very quickly.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hope I do not come across disrespectful but I find it surprising when people voice opposition or negativity about products that they haven't tested themselves. I can speak first hand that the Optikam kiosk and Ipad are extremely accurate. I am willing to compare anyone to measure manually to taking the measurements using the Optikam. Then you will see for yourself that these accusations are unwarranted and false. The Optikam system can detect parallax to help avoid user error from patient not being aligned properly.

Just as you do not put a patient into a chin rest when using a pupilometer you would not need one to do this when using a digital measuring devise.

Most lens manufacturers, wholesale labs and chains are implementing using these types of devices to reduce measuring errors and to take the added measurements for newer digital lenses that require Faceform, panto and vertex. These measurements are extremely difficult to do manually. I cant speak for the accuracy of all digital systems but I can for the Optikam.

There is always room for user error when using any system, it is lessened when using a digital system oppose to using a pupilometer or PD ruler for a beginner, or for a master optician.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Opticianjw View Post
    I currently own an optikam kiosk and will be getting the Optikam IPad app next week. I used the app this past weekend while I was in New York. While I was at the Optikam booth, I was able to get acclimated quickly and then did about 70 demonstrations during the three day show while I was there. I have been going to VEE and VEW for the past 6 years as a live testimonial for Optikam. I am a huge supporter and advocate for their system. I speak first hand on it's effect on our business over that time, the accuracy of the the centration module and how patient appreciate all the modules that make up the whole dispensing system. I think the app offers many of the same benefits as the kiosk with a fraction of the price. Many other apps I tested and compared at both VEE this year and at VEW last year I found a huge difference in the consistency and precision from the Optikam app. I feel many of the other apps I could munipulate the heights and Monoclar PDs from changing my head posture and many other apps required two three or four pictures from different angles to get all the measurements. The Optikam Ipad app work similar to the Kiosk and only require one picture to get all 10 measurements and detects parallax and captures head posture to insure accurate, consistent measurements. Feel free to call me if you have any questions, 732-278-2622 cell or 732-350-1900 office.
    Thanks for the information. I find it helpful while doing my search in investing in one. I noticed how highly you speak of Optikam IPad app. First, I have never used it before. I am purely looking for comparison to decide which one is best to invest because we are opening a new shop. Have you used Essilor My Fit, AIT VisuReal, Hoya Spectangle, or any other similar devices? If so, how are they compare to Optikam IPad? I'm asking because it seems like you are very confident that Optikam Ipad app is the way to go. Thanks for your posting and time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was so excited just now that i went to app store on my IPAD 2, and got even more excited to find the app was free, now comes the sad part. IPAD 2 is not compatible it has to be 3rd gen or higher but thanks for the info anyways

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by bernster1 View Post
    I was so excited just now that i went to app store on my IPAD 2, and got even more excited to find the app was free, now comes the sad part. IPAD 2 is not compatible it has to be 3rd gen or higher but thanks for the info anyways
    Sounds like a good reason to upgrade your IPAD

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The Optikam app is free, but you need the measuring frame and I believe a device you mount on your eyepad to make the whole thing work. The purchase also unlocks certain features of the app which you cannot use otherwise.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    They did measure me with the Optikam, my PD was off by 1.5 mm total.

I hope I do not come across disrespectful but I find it surprising when people voice opposition or negativity about products that they haven't tested themselves. I can speak first hand that the Optikam kiosk and Ipad are extremely accurate. I am willing to compare anyone to measure manually to taking the measurements using the Optikam. Then you will see for yourself that these accusations are unwarranted and false. The Optikam system can detect parallax to help avoid user error from patient not being aligned properly.

Just as you do not put a patient into a chin rest when using a pupilometer you would not need one to do this when using a digital measuring devise.

Most lens manufacturers, wholesale labs and chains are implementing using these types of devices to reduce measuring errors and to take the added measurements for newer digital lenses that require Faceform, panto and vertex. These measurements are extremely difficult to do manually. I cant speak for the accuracy of all digital systems but I can for the Optikam.

There is always room for user error when using any system, it is lessened when using a digital system oppose to using a pupilometer or PD ruler for a beginner, or for a master optician.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sharpstick 777, who measured you when you were measured? If I ran a case study with 5 opticians, first using a pupilometer or PD stick on the same patient and then I used the same 5 opticians using an Optikam, I would bet that you would see a more accurate consistent monocular measurement from the Optikam. Sometimes you will see a disparity on monocular measurements because when you use a pupilometer it only take it anatomically Vs the optikam which will measure exactly where the patient eye is in the exact frame they are purchasing. If a patient has a offset bridge, measuring with the Optikam will most likely better mirror the patients centers then using conventional means. I have seen actual measurement vary as much as 2 mm per eye.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    777: I would ask if you were wearing a pair of eyewear with much of an Rx, that may cause the image to be skewed.
    JW: If the picture was taken and "saved" with 777's name, it can be recalled and put to the test...hmmm... another reason that I love digital systems, no more he said she said, just show me the picture "Jack" as Si would say...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Opticianjw, do you have any affiliation or commercial interest with Optikam? About 90% of your posts on Optiboard relate directly with this one device. Its the rule of this forum that if you have a commercial interest, whether you work for the company or not, that it be declared in your posts.

Sharpstick 777, who measured you when you were measured? If I ran a case study with 5 opticians, first using a pupilometer or PD stick on the same patient and then I used the same 5 opticians using an Optikam, I would bet that you would see a more accurate consistent monocular measurement from the Optikam. Sometimes you will see a disparity on monocular measurements because when you use a pupilometer it only take it anatomically Vs the optikam which will measure exactly where the patient eye is in the exact frame they are purchasing. If a patient has a offset bridge, measuring with the Optikam will most likely better mirror the patients centers then using conventional means. I have seen actual measurement vary as much as 2 mm per eye.

Thread Information