Thread: Computer Rx Conversion

Occupation
    Optometrist

Computer Rx Conversion

Here is a link to a site that helps with conversions from traditional prescriptions to computer/intermediate prescriptions. You do not have to register and it is free. I hope it is helpful:

www.computerglassesrx.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Dr. Tarrant,
    I find your calculator interesting and reasonably accurate, but it seems on the surface geared mostly to consumers. Its been my experience that computer eyewear remains challenging because not all +2.50 add patients need the same amount of power at say, 42". There are a large portion of patients where standard declinations of power don't seem to work well. I know you factored in age to help that a little bit, but it probably won't solve every issue.

My impression is mixed. It could be a great help, especially as a starting point for professionals, and I looked for similar tool years ago, but it could work against the advise and skills of qualified OD or Optician if its customer centric. I prefer that every patient be refracted specifically at the exact distance they require. So unless its intended to be used by Optical Professionals as a starting point and not a replacement for, quality refraction and dispensing. Its possible that the hands of the consumer it could lead to self prescription and a failure to go to competent professional who factors in more variables than possible in your model ,such as monitor height, type of work involved, etc.

Maybe a disclaimer on the bottom explaining that this won't replace a full eye health exam, refraction, or the advise of competent professional would make me feel a little better. If your target audience and website were geared only to optical professionals, I would be thrilled with it and applaud you fully for your great work.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thank you for taking the time to look at the web site. It is intended to help opticians that work with optometrists or ophthalmologists that prefer for whatever reason to not do a refraction at a task-specific distance. The factors that define the algorithm were made based on my personal prescribing habits and can be adjusted to mirror the prescribing tendencies of another doctor.

I hear patients ask what readers they need frequently. Some opticians I work with know what to suggest, others not so much. I hope my web site saves some grief for both optician and patient.

I think your suggestion about the disclaimer on the main page is a good one. There is a disclaimer on the "How It Works" page, but I will add one to the main page as well.

Thanks

Larry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Then I think it could be a valuable tool as a starting point, thanks!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The website seems to be down now--- I've loved and utilized this resource since you introduced me to it! Any chance of renewal, or does anyone else have a resource similar?
    Last edited by MissMolly; 09-09-2022 at 02:33 PM.

Thread Information