Thread: Political correctness time has passed.

Occupation
    Optometrist

Political correctness time has passed.

My very important thread has been deemed too political to be on the general discussion forum.

I dissent, and here's why.

#1. All health care is a political issue any more. There's too much overlap between health care and politics.

#2. We need to discuss vision care in the context of what's going on with health care reform. There's no way to "sanitize it".

#3. People should refrain from lobbing political bombs, nevertheless.

#4. Moderators IMHO, should understand the nature of the current situation and allow this to be discussed in the professional section, because this affects us professionally.

I request the thread get moved back, because I'm acting like a grown up, and this needs discussed. This is NOT "Just Conversation".

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can I second the motion?

I agree it does not need to be moved.

The law will affect all ECP's and is not going to go away.

The problem is that one persons point is too often anothers affront and then the mud gets flung and it's shut down.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    The problem is, they don't. The thread is full of it. It belongs in the bathroom.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Can I second the motion?

I agree it does not need to be moved.

The law will affect all ECP's and is not going to go away.

The problem is that one persons point is too often anothers affront and then the mud gets flung and it's shut down.
    I third the motion.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My question is how does this affect those who don't/refuse to accept "insurance" plans? Will it cause any change at all? That method certainly has worked for dentistry. Why not eye care as we move forward? If/when the managed care peeps are left with the scraps at the bottom of the quality of vision/quality frame/quality contacts barrel...they may wise up to the fact that their "insurance" plan is not being managed with their best interest, and dump it. If it's a government mandate thing, certainly no one will be forced to accept it. There are many of our number today who do just fine without a single cent from vision "insurance", both doctors and dispensers alike. Shouldn't that be the ideal direction we head, regardless of this or that private/govt. plan?

Bad address email on file Randle Tibbs, ABOM's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    My question is how does this affect those who don't/refuse to accept "insurance" plans? Will it cause any change at all? That method certainly has worked for dentistry. Why not eye care as we move forward? If/when the managed care peeps are left with the scraps at the bottom of the quality of vision/quality frame/quality contacts barrel...they may wise up to the fact that their "insurance" plan is not being managed with their best interest, and dump it. If it's a government mandate thing, certainly no one will be forced to accept it. There are many of our number today who do just fine without a single cent from vision "insurance", both doctors and dispensers alike. Shouldn't that be the ideal direction we head, regardless of this or that private/govt. plan?

The problem is, if you have a business license, you may be required to accept it whether you accept third party now or not. I'm not saying that is what will happen, just a possiblity.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Randle Tibbs, ABOM View Post
    The problem is, if you have a business license, you may be required to accept it whether you accept third party now or not. I'm not saying that is what will happen, just a possiblity.
    Seems strange. Where did you hear this?

Bad address email on file Randle Tibbs, ABOM's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Seems strange. Where did you hear this?
    Didn't say I heard it, just a possibility.

Occupation
    Some people cannot help but turn everything into a political discussion which frankly is getting very tiring. The thread was moved for a good reason and it will remain so.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here in Pennsylvania there is a bill before the state legislature for statewide universal healthcare (and an additional 10% wage tax) which includes vision. I agree that politics and our profession are becoming necessarily intertwined. These things ought to be fair game here, but it will likely be a big burden on moderators to keep the discussion optical- and civil.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    my very important thread has been deemed too political to be on the general discussion forum.

I dissent, and here's why.

#1. All health care is a political issue any more. There's too much overlap between health care and politics.

#2. We need to discuss vision care in the context of what's going on with health care reform. There's no way to "sanitize it".

#4. Moderators imho, should understand the nature of the current situation and allow this to be discussed in the professional section, because this affects us professionally.

I request the thread get moved back, because i'm acting like a grown up, and this needs discussed. This is not "just conversation".
    nm
    Last edited by Speed; 03-23-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I definitely would like to get more educated on the subject. It will be vital to our survival to understand what needs to be done to comply. (if anything). I second leaving the political rants out of the discussion, it doesn't accomplish what we need here, which is an understanding of the changes to come and how to prepare for them. This thing kicks in in 2014, which in my timeframe if practically next week.

Right now it is already effecting us, because we are getting rejections on certain med Rx's. Its causing a bottle neck in our normal flow due to extra time on the phone with pts, ins co, and pharmacy. Leaving less time to do what we like to do best, which is optical. I want to understand what is coming next, so we are prepared.

Thread Information