A many of you know by now, OptiBoard Moderator and a great friend to the optical community, Laurie O'Keefe-Pierce, lost her daughter Amanda in a car accident earlier this month. I can't begin to express how badly I feel for Laurie and her family and what they are going through right now. My heart goes out to them.

I would like to share this from Amanda'a obituary:

Amanda blessed so many in so many ways with her light hearted, bright smile and her bubbly, outgoing personality. She was kind, fun to be with, giving, loving and caring and a friend to everyone. She was great with children and an inspiration to each one she got to spend time with; including those in the "Best Buddies" program at Plant High School; a program that matched a "buddy" to disabled or special needs children. She worked at St. John's Episcopal School caring for children in after school programs as well as caring for children in YMCA programs. She was very involved in these children's lives and planned to teach special education one day.

Also Ed De Gennaro has shared this following information:

In lieu of flowers, a high school scholarship is being established for Amanda. Donations can be sent to me (Ed De Gennaro). Please make the check payable to Laurie Pierce and make a notation on the check that it is for Amanda’s scholarship fund. Here’s my mailing address:

Ed De Gennaro
4921 Terrace Arbor Circle
Midlothian, VA 23112

Ed D
Please find a way to let Laurie know that you are thinking of her and of the loss of her amazing daughter.