Thread: Clear Coat/Scratch Coat OVER progressive markings

Occupation
    Optometrist

Clear Coat/Scratch Coat OVER progressive markings

Hello all,

been a long time. I have a question for all the lab geeks.

I want to make up some specs for a class that I'm teaching, and I WANT the factory PAL markings to stay on. I'm concerned that with even normal use and cleaning, that the marks will rub off in short order. I was thinking of having them dip coated BEFORE the markings are removed. That way cleaning the lenses will not remove the markings.

The only downside I see to that is that some of the ink may leech off into the vat and contminate the entire batch, but otherwise, should work. Don't want a spin coat on the front surface, probably going to run and streak on the convex side.

Any thoughts?

AA

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1. Most PAL's come with a hard coat on the front from the casting manufacturer.

2. Laser engravings don't wash or "clean" off. I've I.D'ed 10+ yr. old PAL's.

3. Some brands of PAL's have more prominent markings.

Bad address email on file Randle Tibbs, ABOM's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I believe what he is referring to is the ink markings and wanting them to stay on the lens strictly for teaching purposes. Correct?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, gotcha Randle. I wish they washed off easily!

Occupation
    You can have your local engraver engrave the lens with the markings. Shouldn't be too difficult for them to do since the material is going to be softer than most metals they work on in their day to day job.

Another options leave the markings on and have the lab ARC over them (they have done remnants of markings on a few jobs every now and again for me).

Another option is a reverse marking tint with the markings on then remove them, use a real hot tint and dip a few times so the tint does not seep underneath the markings and you can get a slight tint with clear spots where the markings were. You are going to ruin the tint batch but that's a small thing in this case. Good luck.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Randle Tibbs, ABOM View Post
    I believe what he is referring to is the ink markings and wanting them to stay on the lens strictly for teaching purposes. Correct?
    Absolutely. The laser engravings are always there, obviously. I want the factory INK markings to stay there, with the fitting cross, the horizontal lines, the near and dist power circles intact.

I was considering the A/R (Response to PHI), but from my experience the entire process is so clean, that I would assume that if the ink "flaked off" in the A/R process, that would be more expensive than in a dip coat/heat cured scratch coat process.
    That's why I was originally asking the lab geeks.

Occupation
    You will need to have a good relationship with your lab, they might be able to have them drink the markings after cleaning, but I don't think its as big of an issue as you think it is. The clean room is for dust not ink markings, so yes the cleaning process may remove the ink marks partially but if your goal isn't a super clean AR they may even skip the cleaning baths and just go straight to the coater.

Its worth asking either way. The engraving might be a good option as well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Try a pair of Sola XL progressives in cr-39. I teach as well and have used my demo pair for years. The blue ink they use resists coming off even with normal cleaning

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper no action needed.............................

PAL ink marking have been designed to be as permanent as you can get. They are water and soap proof. Only solvents will affect and remove them. As long as no solvent containing cleaner is used they will stay there..........therefore, no action needed.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know with younger image lenses , the cr-39 marking stay on there alot longer and its way harder to come clean then their poly lenses.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    most of the optical spray cleaners have some solvent. SO the 1st time someone uses ANYTHING other than soap and water, especially with REPEATED LONG term cleaning, those markings are going to come off. There are some that come off relatively easily, and other PAL manufacturers that require much more elbow grease, but they will wear off in time. I can't watch dozens of students constantly, and I want them ABSOLUTELY permanent, not just soap and water permanent.
    Say, Chris, don't you have that dip coat that you sell? would that work?

AA

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Products for schooling purposes are free of charge.............................

Aarlan......................For 30 years I have always given away my products that were needed for professional schooling purposes, free of charge. Send me your details and I will send you a sample to test and see if it does the trick.

Thread Information