Thread: Tips on adjusting TR-90 or Ultem frame material

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Tips on adjusting TR-90 or Ultem frame material

Good morning all,

Just came into contact with this material (a polyamide?) a few months ago and wondered if the pros had any insight. I spoke to a frame rep's frame rep about cold insertion, weight, durability in boiling water, and chemical resistance. Any other tips or interesting stories?

Thanks,
    TEdFitz

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Honestly the only TR-90 frames that I've had issue with are ones that have absolutely no metal core to them. Generally the good ones will have solid plastic from the temple to about 4-5cm from the end of the temple, then have a metal core for the rest to be able to adjust behind the ear etc. For everything else I use the air blower instead of the salt pan and have yet to have an issue. I don't bring in many Cold Insert frames though, so I might be dealing with only specific kinds of TR-90

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Ultem ..........................

• High dielectric strength
    • UL 94-V-0 rated with low smoke
    • Available in glass-reinforced grades
    • High strength and performs in continuous use to 340°F (170°C)

Ulteml000 polyetherimide is an amorphous polymer offering high strength andexcellent flame and heat resistance. It performs continuously to 340°F (170°C),making it ideal for high strength/ high heat applications, and those requiringconsistent dielectric properties over a wide frequency range. It is hydrolysis resistant,highly resistant to acidic solutions and capable of withstanding repeatedautoclaving cycles.

Ultem 2100, 2200 and 2300 are glass-reinforced versions (10, 20, and 30%, respectively)of Ultem 1000 which provide even greater rigidity and improved dimensionalstability while maintaining many of the useful characteristics of basic Ultem.Ultem 1000 is FDA and USP Class VI compliant. FDA compliant colors of Ultem arealso available on a custom basis.

Ultem commonly is machined into parts for reusable medical devices, analyticalinstrumentation, electrical/electronic insulators (including many semiconductorprocess components) and a variety of structural components requiring highstrength and rigidity at elevated temperatures.

Port Plastics offers Ultem 1000 and Ultem 2300 as standard products, and willcustom quote Ultem 2100, 2200 and specialty grades of Ultem.

Engineering Notes:
    Since Ultem is an amorphous material, selection of appropriate non-aromaticcoolants during machining is important. Care must also be used in selectingadhesives and designing press fit components to avoid stress cracking.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by TEdFitz View Post
    Good morning all,

Just came into contact with this material (a polyamide?) a few months ago and wondered if the pros had any insight. I spoke to a frame rep's frame rep about cold insertion, weight, durability in boiling water, and chemical resistance. Any other tips or interesting stories?

Thanks,
    TEdFitz
    as I've mentioned before, I love this material. What AdmiralKnight said about the temples is bang on. Some TR90 fronts are a different grade entirely and will crumble when exposed to direct heat. Aside from that they never discolour, leech chemicals, warp and they're light as heck.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I picked up more than 400 frames made with Ultem at VEE this weekend. I say made "with" rather than "of" because many (not that unusual) had fronts made of different materials than the temples. The prices ranged anywhere from $ to $$$. (if you know me, you know I didn't buy the $$$)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    • High dielectric strength
    • UL 94-V-0 rated with low smoke
    • Available in glass-reinforced grades
    • High strength and performs in continuous use to 340°F (170°C)

Ulteml000 polyetherimide is an amorphous polymer offering high strength andexcellent flame and heat resistance. It performs continuously to 340°F (170°C),making it ideal for high strength/ high heat applications, and those requiringconsistent dielectric properties over a wide frequency range. It is hydrolysis resistant,highly resistant to acidic solutions and capable of withstanding repeatedautoclaving cycles.

Ultem 2100, 2200 and 2300 are glass-reinforced versions (10, 20, and 30%, respectively)of Ultem 1000 which provide even greater rigidity and improved dimensionalstability while maintaining many of the useful characteristics of basic Ultem.Ultem 1000 is FDA and USP Class VI compliant. FDA compliant colors of Ultem arealso available on a custom basis.

Ultem commonly is machined into parts for reusable medical devices, analyticalinstrumentation, electrical/electronic insulators (including many semiconductorprocess components) and a variety of structural components requiring highstrength and rigidity at elevated temperatures.

Port Plastics offers Ultem 1000 and Ultem 2300 as standard products, and willcustom quote Ultem 2100, 2200 and specialty grades of Ultem.

Engineering Notes:
    Since Ultem is an amorphous material, selection of appropriate non-aromaticcoolants during machining is important. Care must also be used in selectingadhesives and designing press fit components to avoid stress cracking.

It's grilamid not the glass reinforced version that you outlined in your post.

This material is basically a nylon, great chemical resistance, super lightweight, durable, and heat resistant. Like Nylon it does not stretch with heat so cold insertion is recommended.

Better fro the ladies men tend to think it feels cheap women like the light weight feel especially with trivex lenses.

Thread Information