previous Rx
    OD= S+2.25 C-1.00x090 ADD+2.75
    OS= S+2.25 C-1.25x090 ADD+2.75
    Pd=62

current dispensed Rx
    OD= S+2.75 C-1.00x090 ADD+3.00
    OS= S+2.75 C-1.25x090 ADD+3.00
    PD=62

Patient been wearing progressive many years. As we can see, the Rx is quite "complex" due to it's high plus and cylinder, which mean very narrow visual acuity because of the aberration. So previous lens was Rodenstock purelife colormatic grey 1.54, now I changed it to generic progressive Freeform transitions VI 1.67. The first few hours was the only adaptation period due to the increase in Rx, it feels very sharp but that's normal.
    The next day I saw he wears the glasses completely and seemed to be very comfortable in it.

A few "logical" things:

• For those of you that knows Rodenstock, purelife was the front surface design that is currently replaced by lifefree, which is a back surface design (known as freeform lens). a few years back, high end lens manufacturers such as rodenstock, carl seizz were the only pioneer in freeform lenses, however nowadays almost every progressive lens is made with freeform technology. Back surfaced progressive are proven to be far more superior than the conventional design of course, especially for complex Rx like the one above.
    • Of course rodenstock lifefree is not the highest lens in their portfolio, one grade above would be the multigressive myview and even impression lens, theoretically these are the top notch of progressive because it is "customized". The price is obviously not for everyone, only if you have deep pocket. Sorry
    • The "Rx jump" to me was, quite significant. However even with a generic Freeform lens, he still don't have problems adapting.

I could sell rodenstock impression for 4x the price of the lifefree, and client would still be feeling about the same, in terms of comfort. But why would I do that? isn't it logical to just sell the lifefree?
    Note that the generic Freeform I dispensed is slightly cheaper than the lifefree.

Whole point is, don't get to affected by these giant manufacturers such as essilor, nikon, rodenstock, carl zeiss, shamir etc. Just because you use rodenstock or carl seizz that's worth thousands of dollar in price, doesnt necessarily give your client "more", you simply r i p t h e m o f f. It might be very sweet to consume the very $$$ you earn now, but I'm sure the juice will come at later point. And that's bad for business.

Sometimes you could talk technical through clients because they want to know. But a lot of times, and especially nowadays people wants something that is a little cheaper but good in quality. Regardless of the technicality. We're selling lenses, most are deemed to be "similar", period. It's different with frame choices, people could literally see you're wearing prada, dior, linberg, cartier etc. But come on with lenses?? Can you tell at first sight that it is shamir lens, carl seiz, or nikon? Of course cannot.

Agreed with me? Just a piece of advice, use only the necessary dosage for your Rx and dispense accordingly. No point ripping them off, you're scaring them away

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You will surprise me if you can switch everyone to a generic from these top of the line progressives digital POW compensated lenses.

I'll bet this patient could be put into any progressive and like me feel comfortable.

I don't think this is a big rx change and it seems you sure get a lot of +3.00 adds!

Many many years ago when the comfort first came out Essilor claimed it was superior in patient adaptabilty but as I recall other progressive companies sponsored a double blind mask study that found that proper fitting was most important.

Is my memory correct?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    What most of us strive for is to achieve the difference between what is 'comfortable', and what is excellent. You will find that most people will get on ok with most designs, even if fitted badly. That doesn't mean it's the perfect lens for them.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    @ Rob: Comfortable Vs. Excellent.
    Comfortable in my opinion is being able to wear the glasses daily with no problem at all and being able to see things clearly with the new fitted Rx. And IF they are fitted badly i'm sure it will cause some discomfort, so let's agree on the idea that any progressive that is fitted badly will come back and haunt you. Happens so many times.

Now define the word "excellent" for me if you would in your vocabulary. It's glasses fitting 101, not rocket science

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    @uncle fester: Agreed completely, proper fitting rocks!! Well, i'm not saying "everyone" is a good candidate, but probably 8 out of 10.. Don't you love handling clients that are looking up to the optician and OK with most lenses they recommend? Or would you rather get someone walks in and mentioned the word HOYA, or carl seizz. Branding Branding Branding, nothing further.

For instance if you would serve a client that requires a very curved lens and needed a pair of progressive, then Rodenstock Impression fashion curved would be the tool used.
    If you would serve a client that has specific need for their visual clarity, be it extreme sport, aeronautic activities, or even a pilot, then Impression freesign could be used as a tool. But how many of these clients you would see per month? 2 out of 100 perhaps? That's my case at least.

Most that walked in would wanted a standard progressive lenses. or monovision.

Feedback please.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's been my experience that people don't come in asking for Hoya, Carl Zeiss, Shamir etc.... these companies don't pander to the general public, they leave the advertising where it belongs, with the professional decision maker. On the other hand, I do get people that come in asking for, you know, the "cries all" lens, thanks to public advertising.

To me, the more important part of the equation is having the conversation with the patient, and having a selection of lenses in your bag that fits that particular patient's lifestyle, whether that be a generic Freeform lens, a Navigator, or a top of the line individualized lens, and then fitting that particular lens properly.

Just my 2 cents!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I honestly had noticeably more non-adapts when using "house brand" digital progressive lenses. There seems to be no replacing the years of R&D that the branded lenses have invested. My experience was with a lens that was "designed" by one of my uncut suppliers to be "Varilux Comfort-like", but would be bad enough in some cases that patients would complain of "not being able to see at all", only to notice a world of difference in a Comfort Drx. There IS a difference that result from years of developing expertise in lens design. Labs can't just take a CAD lens designer and then surface it in-house and have it work in real-world applications as effectively as the established lenses.

Thread Information