Thread: Need info on blue blocking lenses??

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Need info on blue blocking lenses??

I've been seeing articles on blue blocking lenses that claim to block blue light by 15% or so. Does a 15% reduction do any good?
    If Walmart has it I don't want it...

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper blue blocking lens will absorb 100% of UV and then all visible light to 435 nm ......

I've been seeing articles on blue blocking lenses that claim to block blue light by 15% or so. Does a 15% reduction do any good?

No it does not ...................................

I invented the one step blue blocker lens dye in 1983 which totally simplyfied the application, and then made and sold thousands of protective glasses to the dental industry and trade for protection of the UV light, when they cured the fillings. Blue blocking lenses have recently found interest from some of the well known lens manufacturers who are trying to re-invent them.

A properly made blue blocking lens will absorb 100% of UV and then all visible light to 435 nm when measured on my spectrometer.
    By absorbing and blocking blue light, which is fuzzy light, you can have a better vision in misty and foggy conditions. It will also make bumps visible when skiing. They are also recommended and used in certain medical conditions.
    Boaters can differentiate red and green buoys against a sunset. Contrast is heavily increased.

Selling blue blocking glasses is a niche business, because many opticians have never even heard of them, ignored them and prefer to sell polarized glasses which make high priced sales, but who are not doing what well made blue-blockers can do.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Shortest possible answer is YES, it can help.

For example, it could make all the difference in the world, in terms of increasing mesopic contrast sensitivity, glare disability threshold, & photo-stress recovery time, for someone with light iris pigmentation, a marginally low macular pigment density, an individual driving at night with large, fully dilated pupils, suddenly facing illegal aftermarket HID headlamps, a post cataract patient who did not receive blue filtering IOLs, or a child, who hasn't yet developed sufficient ocular lens pigment, staring at a computer/tablet/TV most of the day.

So, ignoring dismissive, overly-simplistic, patronizing, self-aggrandizing, and most importantly, outdated, (un)scientific claims, Optiboard could be a truly wonderful forum for great discussion all about blue light hazards, indoors and out. The body of knowledge in this area is growing rapidly. We could cover all sorts of fascinating issues like tissue optics, veiling luminance, chromatic abberation, photoreceptor action spectra, circadian response curves, oxidative stress and RPE disruption- all things leading to sub-optimal vision and/or poor health, the opposite what we're strive to do for customers every day.

Optiboarders, the choice is yours. You can flippantly toss a claim based on pseudoscience; or, we can engage in some spirited discussion, backed by up-to-date, peer-reviewed, validated scientific research, about things that matter. Aren't we all sick and tired of the same old same old from the industry, anyway? I won't simply tell you, "it's just better, trust mE". We've all heard that before.

In the meantime, for those who wish to expand their understanding of the art & science, here is a great intro piece written by Dr. Gary Morgan, with citations, about blue light and the AMD epidemic.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeMaster View Post
    Blocking (or reflecting/interfering) 15% may be useful for aesthenopic relief, especially with all the blue-intensive displays on phones, etc. It is not sufficient to address the AMD-from-HEV issue. Also, 435nm is pretty low in the EM spectrum; health issues require filtration up to 500nm or even 550nm, depending on whose research you believe. BTW, Hoya is just about ready to release an A/R with blue attenuation, also about 10% or 15%.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by finefocus View Post
    ...BTW, Hoya is just about ready to release an A/R with blue attenuation, also about 10% or 15%.
    So is just about every other mfr and lab across the US right now. Nothing new here...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Doesn't Nikon have one too? See coat blue or something

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Doesn't Nikon have one too? See coat blue or something
    The only one I've seen (in a video, not live) appears clear, no visible color; therefore the blue is being subtracted by interference, not absorbed or mirrored/reflected. First of all, is that accurate; second, are all of these products similar, operating on the same principle?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Blue light, including HEV Blue Light, is emitted from hand-held devices such as smart phones and tablets. Symptoms as diverse as sleep disorders in children and adolescents, headaches, blurred vision, and fatigue can be due to exposure to blue light radiating from hand-held digital equipment. HOYA has developed and launched RechargeTM, an anti-reflective lens treatment that reflects the harmful Blue Light away from the eyes.

Several studies as well as data from OSHA and ISO, all show there are hazards associated with the High Energy Visible (HEV) Blue Light portion of the light spectrum.

“We are a society seeking efficiency and convenience, however the very devices that bring those benefits have a downside, especially eye fatigue” noted Dr. Thomas Gosling, an early adaptor of Recharge, “The eye has a muscle that tenses up as it tries to focus on back-lit screens, hour after hour. When this muscle locks up tit causes a variety of uncomfortable symptoms. By reducing the amount of blue light that enters the eye, patients will be able to increase their comfort level and reduce eye fatigue, headaches, blurred vision and other related discomfort that can hamper the efficiency we use our smart phones and tablets for in the first pl

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Hoya started the iBlue this past past. They are going through the roof!

Occupation

Redhot Jumper I have not yet come accross any scientific articles .................................

Quote Originally Posted by finefocus View Post

The only one I've seen (in a video, not live) appears clear, no visible color; therefore the blue is being subtracted by interference, not absorbed or mirrored/reflected. First of all, is that accurate; second, are all of these products similar, operating on the same principle?

I do own a reflectance measuring CECIL spectrometer that can measure as it says, reflectance as well as transmission. That is the best research instrument on the market for this purpose. You want to buy one it cost's close to $ 20,000.00.

I have known for a 3 years that some of the large optical corporations had become interested in blue-blocker lenses when I got contacted by
    scientist who had been hired to do the foot work on it. However I did not know that they would come out with the new pricinple of reflecting
    it and only 15%.

In a properly, fully tinted blue-blocking lens, 100% of the visible blue light and 100% of UV is totally absorbed. I can prove that anytime on my
    spectrometer. I have never seen nor tested any of these new lenses and I have never even seen one so far.
    Furthermore so far I have not yet come accross any scientific articles that claim the value of eliminating 15% of blue light and the good it does.

Occupation

Blue Jumper danger of : Macular degeneration as a result of it.

Now that we are back on blue blockers I would like to put your attention on the danger of :
    Macular degeneration as a result of it.

check it out at :

Dangers of blue light with macular degeneration!

---------------> http://www.healingtheeye.com/Article...ight_ARMD.html

Last edited by Chris Ryser; 06-04-2014 at 04:05 AM.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeMaster View Post
    15% is probably the light transmission.

http://www.opticampus.com/tools/transmittance.php

Perhaps you're referring to AR coatings that reduce reduce transmission in a somewhat narrow notch in the HEV light spectrum.

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...izal-Prevencia
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information