Thread: Women and Mens Framesbypassing

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Women and Mens Framesbypassing

Am I missing a "thing"? About 75% of the frames that we carry are womens frames. The different sections in the store aren't marked with big MENS and WOMENS signage or anything but I have brand specific banners that highlight the frames in each section. Lately women have been bypassing all the womens/unisex frames and heading right to the predominately mens sections. I've shifted the sections around a couple times and it doesn't make a difference. What's up with that?

sorry bout the title. keypad error

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    geeks and hipsters

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Nope. That's the thing. Mostly middle aged moms and the elderly looking at sections filled with 55-58 eyesizes. I guess they need new glasses though. :P

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Could be that you don't have enough larger ladies frames. We've seen older ladies trending upwards on frame size the last few years. We've stocked up on those style and constantly hear from them that we are the *only* location that has a selection to choose from. I think they are tired of all the smaller product and want to go back into something size wise similar to what they wore 20-25 years ago.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Oh believe me, no shortage of larger ladies frames. A lot of the stuff we have out of France, Germany, Spain and Japan are noticeably larger than even last season. We're also one of the stores that have the widest variety of fits in the city.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have no idea either. I can't tell you how many times women will first try on the 58 eye large zyl in black or grey fade (I just threw up in my mouth a little).

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    I have no idea either. I can't tell you how many times women will first try on the 58 eye large zyl in black or grey fade (I just threw up in my mouth a little).

I recently pulled up the best selling frames at Lenscrafters on their site. It looks like it hasn't been updated in more than 10 years. Maybe this is the kind of place they're used to shopping at and instinctively head to the men's section because a large amount of the men's frames we carry have more of a black/tortoise/silver selection. *shrug*

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Could be that you don't have enough larger ladies frames. We've seen older ladies trending upwards on frame size the last few years. We've stocked up on those style and constantly hear from them that we are the *only* location that has a selection to choose from. I think they are tired of all the smaller product and want to go back into something size wise similar to what they wore 20-25 years ago.
    This is exactly what we're seeing, in all age groups. Just today, a 14 year old in a 56 eye zyl, 2 40-50 y o women in 54 eye sizes and the deeper the B the better.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Same here- they say they want "more lens." Thankfully, the horse blinder temples are going out of style as well. They were a pure PIA to adjust and IMO they looked awful.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Am I missing a "thing"? About 75% of the frames that we carry are womens frames. The different sections in the store aren't marked with big MENS and WOMENS signage or anything but I have brand specific banners that highlight the frames in each section. Lately women have been bypassing all the womens/unisex frames and heading right to the predominately mens sections. I've shifted the sections around a couple times and it doesn't make a difference. What's up with that?

sorry bout the title. keypad error
    Out here, in uncutland.......we know how to sex kittens, fowl, dogs, cats, and horses, etc. How do you determine the sexual orientation/persuasion. or general sway of a frame? Aren't they all.........ACDC?
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I say "If they like it, sell it, maybe even 2 or 3 of them"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've worn and loved many men's frames over the years and have regularly sold them to women. I am seeing more women embracing men's lines over the past year or so and for the same reason I do. They want a larger lens yes but more so they want a classic style, neutral color and clean line instead of the small and the frou frou that most women's frame lines are showing.

Thread Information