Thread: Have you ever seen AR cause a non-adapt situation?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Have you ever seen AR cause a non-adapt situation?

I have a patient who swears that CR39 is the only material that will work for him. Despite that (thinking that he had never tried Trivex before) one of our opticians tried him in Trivex with Zeiss Purecoat AR. He returned complaining of headaches (as was his complaint in years past when trying poly). During this troubleshoot I checked everything I could think of (including putting his new Rx in a trial frame...through which he saw great), and concluded that perhaps going back to CR39 was the only solution. After wearing the remade lenses in CR39 for 2 weeks he returned again. Same issues. Short of a doctor recheck, would any of you suspect AR as a culprit. I just haven't seen AR negatively affect lenses before, so I'm at a loss until he has his recheck.

Roscoe

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    I have a patient who swears that CR39 is the only material that will work for him. Despite that (thinking that he had never tried Trivex before) one of our opticians tried him in Trivex with Zeiss Purecoat AR. He returned complaining of headaches (as was his complaint in years past when trying poly). During this troubleshoot I checked everything I could think of (including putting his new Rx in a trial frame...through which he saw great), and concluded that perhaps going back to CR39 was the only solution. After wearing the remade lenses in CR39 for 2 weeks he returned again. Same issues. Short of a doctor recheck, would any of you suspect AR as a culprit. I just haven't seen AR negatively affect lenses before, so I'm at a loss until he has his recheck.

Roscoe
    Definitely worth a read and an understanding:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...t=newton+rings

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When you dispense a Anti-reflection coating, there are many advantages to this product.......but remember to inform about the downside, especially with someone who has not participated in the use of the product, previously, or was deemed to be a fail using the product.

Negatives of AR coating:

Increased light transmission compared to lens without, the approximate % is 8-10%, depending on the index of refraction of lens reviously worn, and lens index proposed.

Marks and scratches are more apparent to wearer.....but are not increased in volume(as percieved), but may seem pronounced.

Oils interfere with coating's ability to function.......therefore an oil-free environment is desired for best functionality.

Certain optical characteristics within lens, including optical illusion of material behind lens will be more enhanced.

Infrared transmissibility may also be increased depending on base material of lens.

Life span of AR coating may limit useful life of lenses, reciprocal to quality of coating afforded.

Maybe more later(coffee break)
    uncut
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks much, Austinwear and uncut!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    A patient will reject an AR coating if it is crazed...
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My patient's lenses (with AR) looked great, with no crazing and no newton noise waves (as described in the posts above). So, I'm still stumped after reading the posts (and linked posts) above.

Occupation
    The increased light transmission mentioned can aggravate "sensitive" patients as everything looks much "brighter". Your patient sounds like a sensitive one. What's the rx, base curve, frame size, wrap/tilt...

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OD: -1.25 -0.50 126

Frame: 53-18; B=29 (FPD: 71)
    PD's: 34/36 (DPD: 70)
    OC: 15
    BC: 5
    Wrap: 12 deg.
    Panto: 5 deg.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Its great to try and resolve the issue for the patient. It makes them happy and makes you gratified. But at what point do you stop trying to give them something that they already told you they would not like? Just make them 20/happy give them what they want even though you see no reason that they should not be able to wear what you suggested. Then if you want to scratch your head and solve the mystery in your spare time.........enjoy

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe there are occasions when the client is determined to be right about these sorts of things. Statements of the sort "I never..." or "I always..." are clues of this type of thinking. Let them be right, and don't go through multiple remakes trying to convince them something else will work.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    The increased light transmission mentioned can aggravate "sensitive" patients as everything looks much "brighter". Your patient sounds like a sensitive one. What's the rx, base curve, frame size, wrap/tilt...
    I think Wes might have the best explanation, Roscoe.........it the person is sensitive, possibly contends with edema of the cornea due to allergies, medications, or works in an over-lit facility, or outdoors, then increasing the light transmission, when he is unaccustomed to it, would create discomfort.
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    I think Wes might have the best explanation, Roscoe.........it the person is sensitive, possibly contends with edema of the cornea due to allergies, medications, or works in an over-lit facility, or outdoors, then increasing the light transmission, when he is unaccustomed to it, would create discomfort.
    Hey, you mentioned it first! I just elaborated.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    High-five(I can't find that emodicon)
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have a few patient non-adapt to Trivex. Even a -.50. Rare, but it can happen. BC could also be an issue. CR-39 is a terrific material, the clarity is awesome.

AR should not cause any problems itself, but the hard coat might. Its possible the lab through on a 1.50 or 1.60 hard coat, which should be indexed matched for best results. Order a Stock Lens, and it will eliminate that issue.

Roscoe

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    You can test this out with a 10% tint if you like, if the tint brings relief you have found your issue.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have you ever seen AR cause a non-adapt situation?
    No. Your client's problem lies elsewhere- excessive wrap angle, change in Rx, emerging presbyope, etc.

OTOH, if your client has an irrational belief...
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was gonna mention that wrap angle also, 12 degrees wrap with 5 degrees panto? Thats an odd fit, but I didn't want to make judgments on the gentleman's facial struction.

Thread Information