Greetings

You may find this of interest.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/D...ses020821.html

Peace,

Dick

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That is interesting, but not altogether shocking. I know that ODs and MDs in the states with the verbal release still will tie up a patient until they complete the follow-up for the RX release which guarantees at least 6 months worth are bought at their office.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Odd that a state that is so concerned with saving the consumers money on contact lenses would pass a law requireing Union Labor on all state contracts, isn't it.

Also odd that the latest round of California emission laws will make cars cost a lot more than $ 40,000,000 for all of us, not just California.

Chip

OptiBoard Novice
    That article bothers me quite a bit. I work for an independent OD and we have lost a lot of business due to internet companies discounting their contacts. One company is particular that I'm aware of, continues to fill prescriptions even when they're expired. This makes opticians and the OD look bad, because it says to the patient that they don't have to come in for an eye exam on a regular basis. And in turn, when something goes wrong with their eye, it is us they are going to come to and not the internet companies. I have no problem with patients exploring prices for their contacts. Just as long as the discount companies follow the rules/laws of the state.

Beth

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Recent mail order experience:

Three months ago a patient at our office was given an exam, given a CL fitting and evaluation, taught how to wear the lenses and given trial lenses to wear and practice with until his follow-up. He never showed up for his first follow-up but did come in for his second appointment two weeks later. Everything looked fine and he was given his prescription to take with him. He did not purchase a supply at the time.

Last week, he comes by the office. He purchased two boxes of contacts over the internet and needs a refill on his supply. There is one catch here. He was prescribed and trialed with Soflens 66 lenses but purchased Acuvue 2 online. Apparently, his friends all told him they were good lenses. I don't remember if he even ordered lenses with the same paramaters such as base curve, etc.

My problem - we were not contacted prior to the change in brand by either the patient or the lens supplier. Either they did not verify the Rx, they called after hours or they called with one of those press 2 in 1 second or this call will self destruct verification calls. I am 99.99% sure that the internet supplier did not refit the patient for Acuvue 2. I could go on with a list of what if's but we all know what could happen in this case. What if the patient complained of a poor fit? We would start on the assumption that he was wearing the SofLens 66 he was prescribed. He is high risk because he does not follow Dr.'s recommendations. He skipped an appointment and entered fraudulent Rx information online; what is to say he will follow wear schedules and clean and disinfect the lenses as he was instructed to?

In order for this to happen something is not being done right on the side of mail order contact lens suppliers, a form of communication breakdown. Until they follow the same procedures we must follow in order to fill contact lens prescriptions they will never gain my respect in the optical community. There is nothing wrong with providing the public a service at a fair and reasonable price. I just don't believe a patient's visual acuity or eyehealth is a fair price.

I wonder if it would be legal to make patients sign a statement when we release Contact Lens prescriptions to them stating that if they chose to shop with unqualified contact lens suppliers, they do so at their own risk and we are not responsible for any damage incurred by wearing lenses the patients order incorrectly or in cases when orders are processed incorrectly by outside suppliers.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lets start a revolution....The contact lens exam & fitting fee would include a years supply of contact lenses. After that year, the rx is no longer valid & would require a new fit & exam, that again includes a years supply. Pt's would no longer have a need to order lenses on-line. If we can't make money on contacts, at least we could take back the market.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUI used to despise people who got $ 90 for a $20 eye exam and forced patients into buying a year's supply of lenses (giving them an Rx that expired in a year only afer) and forced people into service contracts. OTE]
    Uh Oh, I hope Chip doesn't read this thread!!!!

Bad address email on file
    apparently there is a similar thing here in australia

from what i heard from our optom last week is that optoms arnt required to provide a patient with the Rx.

i was thinking this could be because we bulk bill the g'ment for regular eye checks etc and because the g'ment paid for the exam then the Rx has to be passed onto wherever.

as the patient pays for the c/l seperately this is different.

Occupation
    Optometrist

external CL supply

The company i work for has some sort of a solution to this problem.

The trial is free if the patient signs up to purchase contact lenses. Aftercares are also free. If the patient decides not to have the lenses, they pay £25 for the trial and get the contact lenses. Any aftercare appointments are also charged at £25. The Rx expiry date is set at the date when the aftercare is due.

If a patient comes to the practice for an aftercare and we haven't supplied the lenses, we charge them £25.

Patients who decide to sign up to getting lenses from us are not issued with an Rx unless the ask for it. Even if they ask for it, they are not given it until they have had the 1st follow up check after the initial trial - and again the Rx expires on the date when the next aftercare is due.

BTW, this is in England

Thread Information