Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: " LDOs - Having Cursory Knowledge Of The Eye And Visual System Is Overly Complimentar

Bad address email on file
    (Yes, I'm back, thanks for the nice comments. I will try to have a thicker skin next time.)

Since you brought up dentistry, what I don't understand is why folks are so reluctant to get regular eye exams, even every one year if not every two, and yet they jump to go every six months to get their teeth cleaned. And my parents told me their dentist in Florida recommends every 3 (or was it 4) months!
    3 - 4 months!!! (And their teeth are just fine.) Does it have something to do with the fact that their insurance will pay for it? Any comments from the anti-insurance crowd?

OptiBoard Professional Dannyboy's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What is the worse thing that can happen with glasses.....
    the man (or woman) cant see.... . Expiration are an insult to the profession. Why... because if all are professional and accountable for their actions....no one would be unethical to filled them.....

MDs are unethical when they withhold giving the latest rx. They figure that the cataract patient will get tired of seeing poorly and have the procedure done.... and the OD is unethical when he follows that patient until the man (or woman) has mature cataracts.....humm maybe no longer in the age of
    comanagement. Or the LDO or UDO (which ever is your case) duplicates glasses that are more than 5 years old.....

What about private label contacts...what about .17 dpts Rxs
    and axis in .000155 steps.....what about the Ods who writes those bear of Rxs that are remakes 10 times to find out that the eye is count fingers...and still requires it....

I love those bandits that write articles on capture rates for the optical and the little schemes to avoid"walk outs" .

Dannyboy

:drop: wicked, very wicked man

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    paw said:

Since you brought up dentistry, what I don't understand is why folks are so reluctant to get regular eye exams, even every one year if not every two, and yet they jump to go every six months to get their teeth cleaned. And my parents told me their dentist in Florida recommends every 3 (or was it 4) months!
    3 - 4 months!!! (And their teeth are just fine.) Does it have something to do with the fact that their insurance will pay for it? Any comments from the anti-insurance crowd?
    I think insurance does play a big part in regular dental and physical exams. That and the fact that patients are told that they have to come back in 6 months for a dental exam and 1 year for a physical.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Strangely enough,

chip anderson said:
    No damage will result from wearing an old spectacle Rx as long as it bears some resemblence to what is needed (if it doesn't the patient won't see and he will get an exam.)
    What if the patient is a kid - like so many that can't even tell when their Rx is way off?

What if the patient is diabetic and waits until they "won't see and he will get an exam" only to learn that if he had come in years prior his irreversible blindness might have been prevented?

What if the patient is so old that she can't recognize that the 'head cold' she's been suffering for the last two weeks is really acute glaucoma and she's already lost one eye before deciding it might be an eye problem?

Chip, come on, you're digging yourself in here.
    :hammer:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I care:

I didn't say they don't need an eye exam, I didn't say it was not a needed proceedure. But I did say that glasses would not harm them if the Rx was close enough for adequate vision nothing would be harmed by purchase of new spectacles with old Rx. If you have stomach pain a new belt won't hurt even if you have an ulcer. You need a doctor, but buying a new belt or glasses does not make the conditon worse. Precriptiion drugs used longer than they should be without supervision is another matter, they may be worse than the origional condition.

Chip

Glad you came back PAW. We don't have to see eye to eye on this, everyone on this board disagrees with me on one point or another.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 08-27-2002 at 06:41 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not one person on this discussion has disputed that everyone should have routine eye exams as recommended in frequency by their doctor. If this were done, then a lot of pathology would be diagnosed and treated and a lot of cases of vision loss could be prevented. That is our goal, is it not? And maybe our world would be a little more perfect! ;) And Rx exp. would not even be an issue!

What about the people who wear the exact same pair for five years or longer. The expiration date doesn't mean anything to them. They need to understand it is the exam that is crucial to the health and future of their vision - not the glasses!

Just for the record, it is amazing how many people who do have eye pathology such as AMD think they should be able to get new glasses to "fix" their vision. And some never ever really comprehend the complexity of their problem, glasses always fixed it in the past and they can't understand why glasses won't work now. They have been trained that to see better, you just go out and get new glasses.

As far as "a mandatory exp. date constitutes a legal part the Rx," this is relatively new to the eyeglass world. Until just a few years ago, this was unheard of with eyeglasses.

The original topic of this discussion was opticians refracting to sell eyewear at their establishment in Canada. Well, I do agree that is wrong. Refractive changes can be indicative of some types of pathology, such as diabetes, keratoconus, cataract, etc. and needs to be determined by a doctor. That can only be done by doing a thorough exam. If someone notices a refractive change, then they need to find out why!

But I do think that one should be able to get glasses whenever desired, but should get an exam as recommended by their doctor to uncover any underlying problems that may compromise the visual system.

Traci

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Opticians and Refraction

Refraction is a difficult issue at best. Anyone can be taught to refract, and as someone actively involved with refraction training, let me say that I nor any other of my collegues think we should be superceding the eye doctor. However, if you investigate the situation thoroughly, then you will find two sides to the coin. Opticians could function nicely in the right environment as refractionists. First, no one ever hurt anybody with a phorpoter unless they drop it on their foot! Opticians that want to refract should be able to do so under some limitations. A complete exam should be required every 2 years unless pathology exists and then the patient should be referred. Supervision is the key issue here. Just like the ODs when they began utilizing pharmecutical agents. The topic is extermely controversial and open for a wide variety of opinions. I just hope the Opticians who comment that it is wrong know enough about it to make an informed decision. Many objective ODs share with me regularly that they would support the delegation of refraction to an appropriately trained person.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good point Warren. May I revise or restate my intentions?

Refractions are not wrong as long as they are not done under the pretense of or in place of an exam. Hope not to drop a phoropter on my foot. Ouch!

Traci

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question need help w/ pre-testing!!

hello,

Can anyone tell me some good pointers on Pre-testing? Especially how to tell patients? Thanks..

bye,

Mjacob

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Back to original subject of "sight testing".

It's nothing new. While in the service and stationed in Asia in the 80's, it was how most glasses in Hong Kong were sold. Other places also. Look in an autorefractor, maybe get fine tuned in a phoropter, buy your glasses.

And in Russia they just tried on spherical Rx's (including minus) off the rack.

And on the newer subject of rx expiration/eye health exam..... Those two need to be separated as medicare intended. Patients come in for the exam not to have the eye health done but because they want to update an Rx. Call it unwanted economic bundling.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    ''
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 02-28-2007 at 05:45 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You all have noticed that this thread is several years old, I hope.

Thread Information