Thread: Luzerne Optical???

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Luzerne Optical???

Is anyone familiar with Luzerne Optical? The prices seem to be competitive. Any feedback, good or bad, would be appreciated.
    Thank You.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good INDEPENDENT place to do business with!
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use them for our VSP work. Big thumbs up from here.

Very helpful and knowledgeable staff. One of the last to carry almost everyone's offerings.

I was sorry to hear Charlie retired. The man knew his lenses!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Wonderful company to do business with

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    We use them for our VSP work. Big thumbs up from here.

Very helpful and knowledgeable staff. One of the last to carry almost everyone's offerings.

I was sorry to hear Charlie retired. The man knew his lenses!
    Indeed, Charlie will be missed, but we have Jason, an ABOM, to take over! He is awesome as well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    We use them for our VSP work.

Why only VSP work?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Why only VSP work?
    pm sent...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am a customer of Luzerne and I couldn't be more pleased with the work they do. Jason H is an absolute rockstar- I rely on him to help me through all of my difficult fits. He is so patient and easy to talk to, and great at trouble shooting! I probably take up waaay to much of his time! ;)

Judy Canty got me hooked on the private label digital progressive offered by Luzurne- I have been dispensing it with wild success! I appreciate her taking the time to chat with me even though she is not my actual rep.

Lee Hagwood, my rep, is great at what he does in regards to customer service, not only in dealing with my practice but also with patients if we have a delay or an issue with a job. He is great at getting back to me when I have situations that need a fast resolution- he takes his job incredibly seriously and it shows in how he deals with our practice. Great attitude and a extremely hard worker.

Darlene who answers the phones was previously an optician so she isn't a brainless order-taker- she knows her product. She is efficient, warm, intelligent, and fun.

I could give you names of all the people who I enjoy working with at Luzerne but it would take a while. I have high standards for my practice and so far they have met those standards. Yes there is a hiccup every once in a while but when it happens it doesn't get swept into a corner- it gets resolved. We had some AWFUL labs in the past that wasted our time with remakes and with inept phone answers who wouldn't know a progressive from a hole in the ground. so glad we have found a lab that is consistently doing good work.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you for all the responses! What is the turn around time? And how do the prices compare with your other labs?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by witty optician View Post
    Thank you for all the responses! What is the turn around time? And how do the prices compare with your other labs?
    I can't really say about turnaround time, it just seems right. I order and get it in 2, 3, 4 days like I should, depending on type of lens. The prices are just a bit lower than other labs. What I really like about them is that I don't have the redo's or do-over's like with the other labs and this saves money. And when I call I talk to someone competent rather than someone that was flipping burgers yesterday. It is a very good professional operation.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Turn around time is great for stuff they do in house which is actually a lot of different lenses. Hoya, Shamir, Essilor, Seiko, etc....

As for pricing, I now put all my 1.67 high index jobs in a Shamir Auto II SV because its cheaper than what my previous Essilor lab was charging for standard surface 1.67 lenses. I think pricing is competitive, especially considering the compentency of the people who process your orders.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Their in-house AR (EVC) is the shizz. Great performance at fair price.
    Easy to work with, and flexible to meet our offices unique requests. So far 3 month test is flawless. I'll let you know after the honeymoon phase. We've committed 95% of our work.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, in the interest of full disclosure. I work for Luzerne as a "lens consultant". I've never advocated for them on Optiboard because I consider it contrary to what it's for. I have used this site many times to help my accounts and I'm grateful for the discussion. As some of you know that's only half my story, however. I left 8 years of Luzerne's finishing department (and 23 years combined wholesale, retail and 3-O experience) to cash in my 401K and buy a small optical shop in Olyphant, Pa. - a small suburb of Scranton. Think Mayberry. ABOM is an exaggerated estimation of my credentials, but my experience might connect a few dots that people with a less diverse background might not. And I try to follow through - a lost art. Charlie Slavish is a friend of mine and taught me a great deal - I'm very grateful. So- that leaves me as a part time consultant for an independant and a first-time entrepreneur. If I can be of help, please call on me- because I'm grateful for yours.

Thread Information